News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
If yes, it'd be a year or two for the dust to settle before Disney truly owns them.

Also, just because Fox produced or distributed a film doesn't mean they have the licensing rights to create park attractions from those IPs. The original author may hold those rights, or, they may have been sold/leased to another company. E.g., Universal has park licensing rights to Simpsons. There are Ice Age attractions that exist around the world, and we don't know what the licensing agreement is.

What he said. They have sold the rights to ice age to PEM, so I doubt it will available for a bit.

On November 4, 2014, Premier Exhibition Management, LLC (the “Company”), a subsidiary of Premier Exhibitions, Inc., entered into a License with Twentieth Century Fox Licensing & Merchandising, a division of Fox Entertainment Group, Inc., as administrator for Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation (“FOX”) to produce one (1) exhibition based on the Ice Age series of films. The initial term of the Agreement is five (5) years from the opening date of the first exhibition. The Company has one (1) five (5) year option to renew the term which is subject to the Company’s full compliance with its obligations under the agreement.

The exhibition will feature the artwork, characters, stories, and creative elements of the following four (4) theatrical motion pictures: “ICE AGE,” “ICE AGE: THE MELTDOWN,” “ICE AGE: DAWN OF DINOSAURS,” and “ICE AGE: CONTINENTAL DRIFT.” PEM will present the exhibition at museums, science centers and exhibition centers throughout the world. PEM is required to open the exhibit by March 31, 2016 and FOX has the right to terminate the agreement if the first exhibit is not opened by that date.

Pursuant to the Exhibition License Agreement, the Company will produce and present the exhibition and will operate a merchandise store for exhibition related products. The production costs will be funded by the Company. The exhibit has a minimum production budget of $3,000,000.

FOX will be paid a non-refundable guarantee of $2 million paid as follows: an advance totaling $750,000, $250,000 of which was previously paid, and $500,000 payable upon the mutual execution of the agreement; $450,000 payable on or before March 31, 2018; $400,000 payable on or before March 31, 2019; and $400,000 payable on or before March 31, 2020. The Company will also pay FOX ten (10%) percent royalties on gross ticket and merchandise sales, after deduction of taxes, credit card processing fees, and customer returns (the “Royalty”). Fox will also receive thirty percent (30%) of sponsorship revenue after expenses of fulfillment if FOX initiates the sponsorship, or twenty percent (20%) of the sponsorship revenue after expenses of fulfillment if the Company initiates the sponsorship.

The non-refundable guarantee will be recoupable by PEM from the Royalty payable to FOX according to the following schedule: $400,000 of the advance shall be recoupable against the Royalty earned for the period of time between November 4, 2014 and the earlier of one year after the exhibition opens to the public or March 31, 2017. The remaining $350,000 of the advance shall be recoupable against the Royalty earned during the period between the date one year after the date the exhibition opens to the public (and in any event no later than March 30, 2017) and the date two years after the date the exhibit opens to the public (and in any event no later than March 30, 2018). Thereafter, each payment of the non-refundable guarantee shall be recoupable against the Royalty earned during the twelve (12) month period immediately following the payment due date of such non-recoupable guarantee.

YorkshireT

My problem with Mary Poppins is that it is so locked in to the upper middle class la di da representation of a london centric Britain that I had hoped the pavilion would begin to move away from. I also have problems with the nostalgia aspect when it is being used to glorify certain aspects of British history that I believe need better more sensitive context than a theme park attraction. Sure Britain had power but it came at the expense of countless atrocities committed against countless communities. I liked Brave for the ride because it's expression of Scottish mythology was about as non problematic as British history gets and arguably fit much better with the edutainment aspect the park should be sticking to. If we can't have Brave I'm pulling for Sword in the Stone. Of course if Disney weren't so set on pushing an IP focus I'm sure they could produce something that fit much better than any of these; maybe something that focused on Britain's inventors and their contribution to the march towards modernisation or a ride through the stories of the individual nations patron saints?

Britain is honestly a tricky pull for a ride: our individual mythologies don't much influence our current society in the way many other cultures experience, we have very few unifying cultural threads and huge chunks of our history are ghastly to the point of offensive. Great swathes of IP's could fit if the only defining factor was location, but if we want any shred of edutainment that number dwindles down drastically. I see this ride going more the way of the Rat in France than Coco in Mexico when it comes to that factor but I'm still preparing to cringe if what is used to represent us falls in to the misguided nostalgia trap that Poppins would present.
Good grief.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If after all these years, Mary Poppins is finally given an attraction and it turns out to be only a merry-go-round I might have my first real WDW meltdown. LOL :hilarious:

Funny. I picture you having a daily WDW meltdown. Mascara running. Martini sloshing. Score from the scene where Bambi's mom won't wake up playing in the background...

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom