News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
... Because it's not nearly as popular as some American Who fans think it is? Don't get me wrong, it's a successful show, but if you asked people to identify The Enterprise, The Millenium Falcon, and The TARDIS, I have the feeling that most Americans wouldn't be able to identify the show belonging to the third.
I have a feeling the suits at WDW want nothing to do with a device called a "TARDIS." Just fraught with too many scary permutations, that is...

Princess Leia

We need a Canada Poutine stand just as bad as we don't need anything Dr. Who.

('Dr. Who cares')
Hey, if we were discussing a park in the actual UK, sure, put a Doctor Who attraction in there. Even an entire land. Disney can (and should) sell DW merch at the UK pavilion, but it doesn't make any sense for them to build a ride there when they have their own UK-based properties that they could expand upon.

The Empress Lilly

Hey, if we were discussing a park in the actual UK, sure, put a Doctor Who attraction in there. Even an entire land. Disney can (and should) sell DW merch at the UK pavilion, but it doesn't make any sense for them to build a ride there when they have their own UK-based properties that they could expand upon.
I meant they shouldn't build a Doctor Who ride. ;)

I think it is just some fans of Doctor Who (all four of them), who keep suggesting the show as a good fit. I don't think it has ever been under serious consideration.

Princess Leia

I meant they shouldn't build a Doctor Who ride. ;)

I think it is just some fans of Doctor Who (all four of them), who keep suggesting the show as a good fit. I don't think it has ever been under serious consideration.
Oh no, don't worry, I understood :) Just clarifying for anyone who thinks Disney should build it- they won't, and they shouldn't.

Anywho- everyone should write to Disney to add more food options to Canada. :hungry:

raven

Let's look at the logistics.

World Showplace isn't going anywhere. Not only is it a massive and well used convention space (and brings Disney loads of money) but the building also houses probably the largest kitchen on Disney property as well as holds the offices for all of WDW event planning. If there is a catered event anywhere on Disney property (weddings, small gatherings, conventions, etc) it is planned and catered from this facility. That place actually operates 24/7 with all sorts of trucks and employees coming and going. So I'm 99% sure they won't be touching this building.

Someone mentioned earlier that there is a small 1/2 acre of land behind the stage where the British Invation performs. This would
Ore than likely be the area where anything would go but it will be limited to size. A 1/2 acre of land is nothing and queue areas alone would fill up this space. Also, the band pulls in lots of guests and this area kind of buffers the sound (a little) from being too close to the Canada stage. So I don't think they would get rid of that performance area as it's already a perfect place for it.

The trees on that plot of land also act as a blind from seeing the WSP building backstage and the many buses and maintenance vehicles that use the route (which needs to remain for daily operations). So if anything goes onto that land it would probably be another UK building to hide the area as well.

All this being said, if a building were used on that small plot of land for an attraction it would be very small (think B or C ticket). The front would more than likely connect to the U.K. stage as well. So what is a small B or C ticket "attraction" that could be put into this space? Hate to say it, and Disney has been making more and more of them, but a building for character Meet and Greets. Right now they are jammed into the back of the pavilion or hang out on the promenade area near the Tea Shop. Making a dedicated M&G building for U.K. makes sense in this case.

The only other attraction that this land could hold is something very small like a carousel or tree house-type of attraction. I really don't see an actual ride being installed and if it was, it would have terrible capacity issues. Whatever they do though would definitely be in the right direction as WS needs more added to it.

Princess Leia

World Showplace isn't going anywhere. Not only is it a massive and well used convention space (and brings Disney loads of money) but the building also houses probably the largest kitchen on Disney property as well as holds the offices for all of WDW event planning. If there is a catered event anywhere on Disney property (weddings, small gatherings, conventions, etc) it is planned and catered from this facility. That place actually operates 24/7 with all sorts of trucks and employees coming and going. So I'm 99% sure they won't be touching this building.

Someone mentioned earlier that there is a small 1/2 acre of land behind the stage where the British Invation performs. This would
Ore than likely be the area where anything would go but it will be limited to size. A 1/2 acre of land is nothing and queue areas alone would fill up this space. Also, the band pulls in lots of guests and this area kind of buffers the sound (a little) from being too close to the Canada stage. So I don't think they would get rid of that performance area as it's already a perfect place for it.

The trees on that plot of land also act as a blind from seeing the WSP building backstage and the many buses and maintenance vehicles that use the route (which needs to remain for daily operations). So if anything goes onto that land it would probably be another UK building to hide the area as well.

All this being said, if a building were used on that small plot of land for an attraction it would be very small (think B or C ticket). The front would more than likely connect to the U.K. stage as well. So what is a small B or C ticket "attraction" that could be put into this space? Hate to say it, and Disney has been making more and more of them, but a building for character Meet and Greets. Right now they are jammed into the back of the pavilion or hang out on the promenade area near the Tea Shop. Making a dedicated M&G building for U.K. makes sense in this case.

The only other attraction that this land could hold is something very small like a carousel or tree house-type of attraction. I really don't see an actual ride being installed and if it was, it would have terrible capacity issues. Whatever they do though would definitely be in the right direction as WS needs more added to it.
A carousel would definitely fall under the B ticket category, and that could be the Poppins tie-in.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

A small dark ride was one of the proposals (without affecting Showplace which is receiving some investment)

Now it's looking less likely.

The Mighty Tim

As a Brit, I've never been enamoured with the UK pavilion- especially the imitation fish and chips. Furthermore, the area only really covers one specific part of the country (Southern England). I'd love to see a bit more representation for the rest of the UK- us Northern Irish, Scots and Welsh exist too you know! :D

Well, depending on how long it takes them, we might not have to include the Scots in a UK pavilion...:p

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-39255181

</politics>

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom