Animal Kingdom Vultures

James123

Account Suspended
Original Poster
We just got back from a 2 week trip to WDW and stayed at the AKL. When we visited AK we noticed vultures all over the place. These birds were not part of the "normal" act. Hundreds of really HUGE black vultures were in in the trees and on the ground in every area of Kilimanjaro Safaris. These guys were not regular CM's. They had obviously flown into the area for a visit. I suppose it is a tribute to the designers of AK to have such guests! Did anyone else see them?

epcot71

Originally posted by James
We just got back from a 2 week trip to WDW and stayed at the AKL. When we visited AK we noticed vultures all over the place. These birds were not part of the "normal" act. Hundreds of really HUGE black vultures were in in the trees and on the ground in every area of Kilimanjaro Safaris. These guys were not regular CM's. They had obviously flown into the area for a visit. I suppose it is a tribute to the designers of AK to have such guests! Did anyone else see them?

i think they are part of the 700 holiday cms disney brought in to cover x-mas:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tramp

Originally posted by James

Those were not birds.....those vultures were Disney top executives that just flew in from Anaheim to check on their portfolios.

VashtheStampede

Yep, since DAK was opened the vulture problem has been growing. With the closing of DI the vultures moved to DAK. Now Orlando has started to move the vultures from rooftops of the Olrando skyscrapers that means now the Vultures are moving to the Disney area. I have seen Animal handlers trying to get enough proof that disney needs to take active measures to remove these pests. Lets hope they do it soon those big pests are ruining the safari.....

NowInc

Most people in orlando are used to seeing them...so its just more of the same....Tho they are a REALLY big problem that the city is trying to take care of

epcot71

didnt disney get in an buttload of trouble a while back by animal right groups because they got caught beating the vultures to death with bats or shooting them at discovery island???????

they had to pay a lot of penalties too i think.

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

NowInc

Originally posted by epcot71
didnt disney get in an buttload of trouble a while back by animal right groups because they got caught beating the vultures to death with bats or shooting them at discovery island???????

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Thats a new one to me....

epcot71

i actually read that in orlando sentinal i think-wasnt in a websight-about maybe 5 years ago or longer:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

i guess they had really bad problem at discovery island back then with them as well

zonguy

If I recall correctly, the CMs at DI were trying to defend the large turtles that were being eaten alive by the vultures. I beleive that sat of the shells and would pick on the poor things.... literally!

The Mom

Premium Member
i actually read that in orlando sentinal i think-wasnt in a websight-about maybe 5 years ago or longer:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

i guess they had really bad problem at discovery island back then with them as well

I remember reading about that, also. My recollection was that they were also having problems with cattle egrets. And the birds that become a major problem are gulls...once you start feeding them, they become very prolific and quite aggressive...they will literally take the food out of your mouth..or at least try to! I am always upset when I see people feeding them...they have no idea what a problem they're creating!! :eek: (not to mention the by-products of all that food!!!)

NowInc

Originally posted by marciahahn

I remeber reding about that, also. My recolection was that they were also having problems with cattle egrets. And the birds that become a major problem are gulls...once you start feeding them, they become very prolific and quite agressive...they will literally take the food out of your mouth..or at least try to! I am always upset when I see people feeding them...they have no idea what a problem they're creating!! :eek: (not to mention the by-products of all that food!!!)

Ah yes...the brave Disney Birds....they will hop on your hamburger the minute you put it down (yep...happened to me)

NowInc

Originally posted by marciahahn
I forgot to mention the grackles and scrub jays..they're pretty agressive. too!!

I always say it...Disney Birds have B*lls...they arent scared of ANYTHING....

zonguy

Well, I don't know if anyone if anyone else notices the annoying bird screeches in EPCOT from atop of Electric Umbrella, or Norway's bakery, but I joked with a CM that the racket was driving me crazy. He explained that the sound effect was in place to drive the birds away from the food areas. So, it seems that Disney is trying to humanely curb some of the bird attacks.

VashtheStampede

yeah, at least now it's not the same sound over and over again. Now the use like 5 different bird calls all strung together.

I remember before DI closing they used fireworks to try and clear the vultures. It was a major problem and Disney did get in a little bit of trouble for "certain" ways they dealt with those dang dirty turkey vultures.....

epcot71

i just had a nasty thought

r those really turkey legs we all love in the magic kingdom??????

YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!:slurp: :slurp: :slurp: :slurp: :slurp: :slurp: :slurp:

JUST THINK VULTURE NUGGETS,VULTURE POT PIES,THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS

NowInc

i just had a nasty thought

r those really turkey legs we all love in the magic kingdom??????

YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!:slurp: :slurp: :slurp: :slurp: :slurp: :slurp: :slurp:

JUST THINK VULTURE NUGGETS,VULTURE POT PIES,THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS

LoL...i remember back when people started rumors saying it was "EMU" meat in tohse things...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom