Animal Kingdom vs Tokyo DisneySea

Better park?

• Total voters

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster
Which park do you feel is better, DAK or TDS?

Both parks have incredible theming, probably the two most beautiful Disney theme parks in the world, both have outstanding rides and attractions. Both have excellent shows, great dining, and the best immersion in both respective parks.

Better park?

1-Day Disney's Animal Kingdom Park Itinerary - Disney Tourist Blog
Tokyo Disney Resort Guide: Tokyo DisneySea

tanc

Disney Sea, it's basically the "If Disney had no money limit" park, and it shows. There's also a different level of customer service that just isn't in America. Plus it has a hotel literally in the park, and it's gorgeous. Also, Disney Sea is a cheaper ticket than any Disney park in America (roughly $80).

Last edited:

Poseidon Quest

Animal Kingdom is easily the best themed park in the United States, but even with that, Disney Sea is still a significant step above.

Walt Disney1955

I've always heard Tokyo Sea is the best park in any Disney park, arguably. Never been, but have heard this from others on here who have.

adimond

I've been to both, and call me crazy, but I think this is actually a fair fight. To be sure, DisneySea is every bit the crown jewel of park design that everybody says it is, and it does have a lot more rides than AK. But when you look at the list of what those actually are, you've got:

- a bunch of cloned things (or slight variations) from stateside parks or Paris
- a glut of transportation-y attractions and simple carnival rides (admittedly well-embellished with themes, but still)
- two rides smack-dab in the middle of the park that are mind-blowing but almost incomprehensible if you don't speak Japanese (although that kind of adds to the fun)
- one unique dark ride that's Fantasyland on steroids
- Aquatopia

Plenty of cool stuff, but only a few experiences that would keep me coming back to re-ride them even if the surrounding ambiance wasn't a factor. I haven't done the Magic Lamp Theater, and I wasn't even aware until now that they re-themed StormRider to Finding Nemo, but those don't seem like major plusses.

I mean, I love it at Tokyo Disney (especially the dozens of weird popcorn flavors), and I think I'm probably going to vote for DisneySea in this matchup, but Animal Kingdom is almost as well-crafted an environment, and it has Pandora/Flight of Passage, Dinosaur (even with its flaws!), Everest (even with its!), Festival of the Lion King, Kilimanjaro Safaris, and all the animals in general. That's where people always get hung up when judging it...if you want it to be nahtazu, it's a lot less impressive than it is if you care enough to spend half your day looking at zoo exhibits.

AK still needs several more rides and some reimagining in Dino-Land and Asia. (Personally, as someone with a slight bug phobia, I'd love to see a new, non-insect-focused show inside the Tree of Life...my dream would be a sweeping Epcot-style edutainment thing that illustrates the all-important concept of natural selection, but that's probably too much to ask.) But it's a very strong park. Much better than DCA or either of the Studios parks, and, though it pains me to say it, probably objectively stronger than 2021 Epcot.

To me this is an intriguing comparison, because these are two staggeringly beautiful and thoughtfully themed spaces that both still await the day when they'll have the deep bench of irresistible attractions found at their corresponding castle parks. But they were both designed well from day one and can grow sensibly from there, unlike some of the more haphazard layouts of other recent parks.

Animaniac93-98

I haven't done the Magic Lamp Theater

It's good! And unique to the park.

It's all in Japanese, but the story is easy enough to follow.

The pre-show has an animatronic snake and the main show has two live actors who "interact" with Genie on the 3D screen.

adimond

It's good! And unique to the park.

It's all in Japanese, but the story is easy enough to follow.

The pre-show has an animatronic snake and the main show has two live actors who "interact" with Genie on the 3D screen.

Sounds kinda awesome, can't wait to make it back someday...but probably not any time soon, alas. I saw there were $425 Texas-to-Tokyo roundtrips on sale last week, an absolute steal, but they got snatched up faster than I could convince myself to act. I'm also confused about when foreign tourists are even going to be allowed to enter Japan again.

And I just renewed my WDW AP today, so I'll probably just hit Orlando a few times in the next year (oodles easier for me, if not quite as glamorous).

Did vote for DisneySea in the end.

Frankly I'm more of a theme park guy than a zoo person myself, so the subjective value proposition isn't quite there as much for me at AK. But mileage may vary. For example, my sister was trained as a biologist and is equally into both aspects; she'll drag the whole family to stare at every single enclosure if we let her. If you're an animal person, it does deliver. If you want enough rides to fill 12 hours, it's iffy.

TDS is indeed the best non-castle Disney park in the world, with AK in the next spot. EPCOT, with its more than 15-year head start, ought to be ahead of both. I wish they'd put half as much thought and care into revitalizing Future World (rather than dumbing it down and awkwardly balkanizing it) as they did into either of the parks under discussion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom