Animal Kingdom vs Hollywood Studios

Better park?

• Total voters

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster
As of today's current state of the two parks, which theme park is better? Discuss.

Animal Kingdom
1-Day Disney's Animal Kingdom Park Itinerary - Disney Tourist Blog

Tickets on Sale Now for Disney After Hours at Disney's Animal Kingdom |  Disney Parks Blog

A-Z Coaster of the Week: Expedition Everest - Coaster101

or

Hollywood Studios
Hollywood Studios: Disney World's Best Rides & Most Frustrating Park -  Disney Tourist Blog

Disney's Hollywood Studios | Guide to Rides, Shows & Dining

Crowd Review: Disney's Hollywood Studios on a Friday in October - Disney  Dining Information

CosmicRays

I have to go with Hollywood Studios. It has one of my favorite spots to sit and relax- upper floor of Rizzos looking toward the corner where the muppet store is. That and having a nice beer flight at Baseline Taphouse and people watching is one of me and my Wife's favorite activities.

UNCgolf

Animal Kingdom by far. It's currently the best overall park at WDW; Hollywood Studios is the worst of the four. That doesn't mean Hollywood Studios is bad, because it isn't. It's just been turned into a mishmash of a bunch of random stuff and is still only a half-day park. It was arguably a better park in 1995 than it is right now; it was certainly a more cohesive themed experience.

MMRR is solid but a downgrade from GMR (and there was no reason they couldn't build MMRR as an addition instead of a replacement). TSL is a disaster and one of the worst things on WDW property. Galaxy's Edge is fine, but nowhere near as impressive as it should have been -- ROTR is fantastic, but most guests don't get a chance to ride it and the rest of the land just isn't special.

Last edited:

fireworksandfairytales

In the Parks
No
Hollywood Studios was my favorite park for a long time, but at this point I prefer DAK.

Hollywood Studios almost always feels overcrowded and even with the new additions to the park I don't personally feel like I can spend the entire day there.

JIMINYCR

Surprising that AK is getting by far the most likes. For so long now AK has been seen by many as being a half day or less than a half day park, just another zoo, a park thats boring and lacking rides, and Avatar never measured up to the hype. I always enjoyed AK ( other than Dinoland) but IMHO DHS has taken over the lead with the addition of TSL and SWL. MMRR hasnt added anything to the park but taken away a much better GMR. Really, both parks need more help and either could replace the other in standings with someone leading them on.

keyframe

AK is definitely my favorite park overall. HS has my favorite attractions with Galaxy’s Edge, but AK feels like one giant ecosystem with so much to do and see overall. All of the other parks, HS included, are more loosely connected with clear borders between themes. AK blends so well together from one area to the next that it really feels more expansive than the rest.

UNCgolf

AK is definitely my favorite park overall. HS has my favorite attractions with Galaxy’s Edge, but AK feels like one giant ecosystem with so much to do and see overall. All of the other parks, HS included, are more loosely connected with clear borders between themes. AK blends so well together from one area to the next that it really feels more expansive than the rest.

DHS used to be cohesive all the way through back in the 1990s, which is why I think it was arguably a better park then.

However, once they stopped using it as an actual studio for animation/filming, they basically had to make changes.

Little Green Men

DHS used to be cohesive all the way through back in the 1990s, which is why I think it was arguably a better park then.

However, once they stopped using it as an actual studio for animation/filming, they basically had to make changes.
Cohesive but minimally themed with less to do

TokyoMiki

studios looks barren and sterile and what is there makes for a hodgepodge of "stick a brand in your face" with the sole purpose to buy a bb8 t shirt or buzz lightyear keychain.

all 4 parks do it but studios does it more shamelessly, more overtly since it's a place to drop ip irrespective coherence and proper fit.

we like animal kingdom much more

Dog Ate Mouse

I just find Animal Kingdom to be relaxing and fun and just a good day in the park. It is the park we love to go to when we really just want to chill and relax without all the fuss and run around. Plus, how could you not love getting to see the tigers. That is one of my favorite things to watch. Then add in a Safari and lunch with different flavors of Africa and some shows and rides and you have a great day in the end.

UNCgolf

Cohesive but minimally themed with less to do

All of the old LA parts were heavily themed -- the exterior of the buildings are still themed, but the interiors (especially the merchandise for sale) is not really comparable to what it was back then outside of the restaurants. The other parts weren't minimally themed either; they were themed exactly like a studio backlot. It was very much like going on a studio tour in Los Angeles, which is why they were large warehouses. While I'm sure it saved money, it was also the correct aesthetic for what they were doing.

As I said, though, once they stopped using it as an actual studio for animation and filming, that part of the park lost its purpose and the theming no longer made as much sense. They almost had to make changes then and I don't blame them for it -- I just personally think that era of the park was more charming than what we have now with TSL and SWGE. It would have helped if both those areas weren't so bland themselves; I'm still not sure why they made SWGE so boring to look at (mainly in daytime, it's better at night but lighting always helps).

Less to do is relative. There are more rides now, but I think the old full backlot tour (which lasted 2+ hours) was more entertaining/fun than Smugglers Run and the three TSL rides combined, and it also took up much more of the day (other than time spent standing in line, which no one enjoys).

I absolutely understand people thinking today's DHS is a big improvement, though. It's all subjective.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom