Animal Kingdom vs California Adventure

Which is the better park?

• Total voters

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster
1-Day Disney's Animal Kingdom Park Itinerary - Disney Tourist Blog
Tickets on Sale Now for Disney After Hours at Disney's Animal Kingdom |  Disney Parks Blog
expedition-everest-blur-dusk.jpg
morning-dinosaur-animal-kingdom-disney-world-947.jpg
kilimanjaro-safaris-animal-kingdom-disney-world-411.jpg
kali-river-rapids-lightning-lane-morning-genie-plus-animal-kingdom-disney-world.jpg

pixar-pier-night-shallow-hand-rail-disney-california-adventure-bricker.jpg
FM708321.jpg
incredicoaster-pixar-pier-disney-california-adventure-800.jpg
guardians-galaxy-mission-breakout-avengers-campus-marvel-land-disney-california-adventure-disneyland-228.jpg
night-avengers-campus-marvel-land-disney-california-adventure-057.jpg
eureka-gold-timber-dca-copy.jpg

Let's say that you have one single day ticket for either of these two parks, which park are you choosing? Both parks have excellent rides, outstanding themed lands and great immersion. Which park is better?

Which park is superior, has better rides, more fun, etc? Which is the better park?

Centauri Space Station

Animal Kingdom is probably the best themed park in the US. Lots of high quality theming in Africa, Asia, Discovery Island and Pandora. The immersion and cohesion is almost the best in the world. Safari is one of the longest rides. Flight of passage and everest are high quality and soon Indy will surely be in that category. Plus all the shows, animal exhibits and good dining. DCA is better if you want a lot of rides but other than BVS and Carsland the lands aren’t very high quality and the park isn’t cohesive.

TP2000

The photos tell you all you need to know.

Well, I'm not so sure. DAK is certainly lush and lovely to look at. And it gets a little odd for most Southern Californians who have the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Safari Park to use as a point of reference for zoos. If you are from a Midwest or East Coast big city that only has a modest zoo, DAK would be a very impressive zoo experience.

But we aren't comparing zoos or botanical gardens here, we are comparing theme parks. And when it comes to that core purpose, DCA blows DAK out of the water.

Disney California Adventure = 19 Rides, 1 Night Spectacular, 1 Parade, 4 Theaters, 1 Interactive Playground
5 E Tickets
= Soarin', Grizzly River Run, Incredicoaster, Radiator Springs Racers, Mission; Breakout
4 D Tickets = Little Mermaid, Midway Mania, That Spiderman Thing, Goofy's Sky School
7 C Tickets = Trolley, Golden Zephyr, Symphony Swings, Fun Wheel, Luigi's, Mater's, Monsters Inc.
3 B Tickets = Jumpin' Jellyfish, Emotional Whirlwind, Jessie's Critter Carousel
4 Theaters = Disney Jr., Mickey's Philharmagic, Turtle Talk, Animation Academy
1 Interactive Playground = Redwood Creek Challenge Trail
Spectaculars/Parades = World of Color, Pixar Parade

Disney's Animal Kingdom = 8 Rides, 4 Theaters, 2 Interactive Playgrounds
5 E Tickets
= Kilimanjaro Safari, Kali River Run, Flight of Passage, Expedition Everest, Dinosaur
2 D Tickets = Train to Conservation Station, Navi River Journey
1 C Ticket = Triceratops Spin
4 Theaters = Tough To Be A Bug, Festival of the Lion King, Feathered Friends, Finding Nemo
2 Interactive Playgrounds = Conservation Station, The Boneyard

I left out the Hyperion Theater at DCA, because it's been closed for years now, and something tells me it won't reopen anytime soon. Or it might just get bulldozed for Avatarland, or what have you. If only the Walt Disney Company could make just a bit more profit, they could afford to do a musical stage show in that 2,000 seat theater. Alas, Disney just doesn't have the money or resources to pull that off any more, so that huge facility has sat empty for years now.

Otherwise, I think the numbers speak for themselves. When it comes to theme parks and, you know, rides, DCA beats Animal Kingdom by a mile. I doubt Animal Kingdom will ever get close to matching DCA's ride count, what with DisneylandForward expansion plots and Hollywood Land redevelopment coming over the next 20 years.

Phroobar

DCA wins. There is more to do there and less tramping though a jungle to see anything.

San Diego Zoo & Safari Park > Disney Animal Kingdom
iu
iu

iu

San Diego Safari Park
iu

tanc

idk to me AK has always just been everest and FOP since Pandora opened. Everything else to me is very forgettable, never cared much for the theming of the park personally.

TP2000

DCA wins. There is more to do there and less tramping though a jungle to see anything.

San Diego Zoo & Safari Park > Disney Animal Kingdom
iu
iu

iu

San Diego Safari Park
iu

As a long term member of the San Diego Zoological Society, I couldn't agree more.

Where that gets even more interesting is when you travel to other US cities, or big cities overseas, and see their zoos. They're often pleasant places, many with new additions, but you keep thinking back to what the San Diego Zoological Society does at both their urban Zoo and suburban Safari Park and the other zoos pale in comparison.

But I get it. If you are from Ohio or someplace, the zoo component of Animal Kingdom would seem really fun.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
DCA with Aladdin, Muppet Vision, Tower, Soarin over CA, paradise pier (screamin), tough to be a bug and Heimlichs chew chew, would’ve been my pick 9 out of 10 times. Now it’s AK 10 out of 10 times.

PiratesMansion

If you are from Ohio or someplace, the zoo component of Animal Kingdom would seem really fun.
Ohio actually has a large collection of well-respected, well-kept zoos. It's not like all of the Midwest is just corn, you know.

But the obvious answer here is Animal Kingdom unless you are a die-hard "DLR can do no wrong and Florida always sucks" sort of fan IMO. DAK isn't perfect, but the atmosphere, theme, detail, and for me the attraction collection are far superior to what's on offer at DCA.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Animal Kingdom is a gorgeous, cohesive park. Still desperately needs more attractions, but the quality of the existing lineup is high. The park really transports you to a different place. I haven't been in years and I miss it.

DCA is a mess. The 2012 revitalization finally infused some charm and cohesion into the park, only to be gradually walked back via several misguided IP injections. I'm 30 miles away and I never go.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Ohio actually has a large collection of well-respected, well-kept zoos. It's not like all of the Midwest is just corn, you know.

So funny. I am constantly having to explain this to my California friends. I grew up in NY, but lived in Columbus for 4 years in my mid-20s prior to moving to Los Angeles. I love Angelenos but MAN do they love to trash Ohio 🤣. Surely there are better targets for our coastal elitist rage. Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Columbus are legitimate cities -- but everyone here in CA wants to know whether my Ohio "town" had more cows or people.

BrianLo

Otherwise, I think the numbers speak for themselves. When it comes to theme parks and, you know, rides, DCA beats Animal Kingdom by a mile. I doubt Animal Kingdom will ever get close to matching DCA's ride count, what with DisneylandForward expansion plots and Hollywood Land redevelopment coming over the next 20 years.
I’m all for preaching about Disneyland and DCA having far more to do in each park than WDW parks.

But DAK is simply a better theme park, and you cannot convince me otherwise. It’s stunning, transportive, and richly detailed.

This is a good one (and I’m more of a fan of DCA than most seem to be here).

A lot of the difference comes up in carnival rides for DCA. There is a clear quantity versus quality going on here and DAK takes the lead in quality.

What DAK lacks in carnival rides it’s making up for with better shows and better walk through experiences. And I’ve been to San Diego Zoo… heck I’ve been to Africa. DAK really nails it.

mlayton144

Despite the ride count advantage at DCA, The ugly guardians building and tacky Ferris wheel as the icon of the park leave me wanting AK. It’s just a place I would rather be with the wildlife, cool atmospheric music, food, etc. I hope what they build there preserves the edutainment nature of the park (no pun intended), but I have a sick feeling they will go in a different direction

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom