Animal Kingdom Needs Attention

Tavernacle12

If AK got a few dark rides it’d be pretty perfect. It’s the best themed park, and what it does it does brilliantly, but I don’t miss it when I’m gone. It needs more oomph somewhere. Lion King and Jungle Book Classic-style dark rides and a plussing of Dinosaur to put it up there with Indy would go a long ways.

Paper straw fan

Making the theme "barebones and tacky" is sort of a cop-out to just create something on the cheap. What we have is something that looks exactly like a carnival. Compare this to, say, Storybook Circus, which doesn't look cheap and tacky even though actual circuses are/were. I agree though, it is, at least, nice to have another thing that has it's own elaborate backstory not tied to IP.

I guess, with the blacktop paths and the rustic feel, that it’s the vibe they were going for. I don’t completely disagree with you, but it always seemed to be that it was just the vibe w the county fair like rides and games. I don’t hate it, but I also don’t think they’d ever have tried that at MK (they already have ‘dated’ down pat there)

It’s not my favorite area, so I’m not defending it to the death, but I assumed the whole kitsch, shabby chic vibe was intentional. I only ride Primeval Hurl when I have a temporary brain phart, and like I said, it’s brutal when the sun is out. So you won’t see me handcuffed to the entrance in protest!

ObscurityPoint

I know, I know.. this post is surely going to ruffle some feathers, pardon my pun.

Animal Kingdom NEEDS attention and is currently the weakest of the 4 parks.
Wait! Before you curse my name and type away every reason as to why i'm wrong, hear me out..

EPCOT is currently slated to get all this cool new stuff, plus a renovated Spaceship Earth, plus Ratatouille, GotG RollerCoaster, a new fireworks show, then TT 2.0, Frozen, etc.. those are fairly new. You may not agree with some / all of the changes, but at least it's getting some TLC.

Disney's Hollywood Studios future is looking very promising, with the addition(s) of Toy Story Land and SW:GE, now ToT is finally getting a refurb, MMRR is coming.. RnR needs nothing. I would recommend another thing or two be done but this park is undoubtedly getting some TLC.

Disney's Magic Kingdom has Tron coming up, and uh.. well, this park could probably use some love too in the form of some desperately needed refurbishments and a proper replacement for Stitch's Great Escape.

Then we have Disney's Animal Kingdom. Dinosaur is a sad, pathetic experience with a barely functional Carnotaurus "chasing" you around a barely lit attraction in a fairly poorly themed land. But at least it functions, compared to the yeti that isn't half as good looking as Harold over at Disneyland. A beautifully made attraction which is falling flat on it's face with a hairband shrine and some vibration-heavy trains / broken effects. So now what? Let's go to the best thing ever made, Avatar Land, where FoP graces you with it's 300+ minute daily wait.. I blame this on the lack of rides at the park in general. Rafiki's Planet Watch Train is, what, seasonal now? Really? At least we can enjoy some cringe worthy character acting at UP! A great Bird Adventure (DISCLAIMER: Aneeka has a beautiful heart and was wonderful to watch, but what the Flick is with the additions of Doug and Russell?

Hey, AK has some amazing things to it. The themeing really is great on an overall level, and it has some offerings i'm particularly fond of such as ITTBAB, NRJ, um.. animals and Kilimanjaro Safari.

Maybe i'm missing the whole point here. This park is all about nature, which is certainly unique. But let's be real.. the attractions aren't well maintained and IMO, the three other parks are getting more attention then DAK. So what's going on?

Please Note: I'm not much of a show watcher, so I did miss out on Lion King, Nemo.
What’s going on is that Disney jumped the gun when it came to building theme parks, especially during the late 80s/early 90s. With Disney’s goal to make sure the parks are always changing and evolving, it’s hard for them to keep six of the largest theme parks in the US constantly updated and full of attractions. Tbh, AK has the least problems since they didn’t have time to touch it much since its opening. It also has the most room for expansion. Really, there are 3 US parks (and all of DL Paris) that needs more attention in fixing and upgrading themselves rather than simply expanding/ adding on. Think of it this way- how different would MK look now in terms of size and attractions if DHS or AK have never opened? If more focus was invested in maintaining Epcot and DHS to begin with, it wouldn’t be such an issue. It’s sort of a tough explanation, but I hope you see what I’m getting at. AK will have its time in the limelight soon- definitely still has the most potential of all the US parks.

Damon7777

Chester and Hester does not play on the county fair.

It plays on the cheap, whimsical roadside attraction themes of 1950's 60's and 70's.

FigmentForver96

Animal Kingdom is the DisneySea of the states. Where the park itself is an attraction. One that must be enjoyed by soaking in the detail and slowing down to see the small things. It goes beyond “seeing the animals” but teaches a cohesive message of unity, balance and nature. Yes the park can and I imagine will get more rides. However as it stands it really is holding its own. Not to mention it’s one of the last parks where thematic integrity is still cherished.

Paper straw fan

Chester and Hester does not play on the county fair.

It plays on the cheap, whimsical roadside attraction themes of 1950's 60's and 70's.

Can’t say I was around for those, but I’ve seen some fairs in smaller towns in strip mall or local school parking lots that were my closest comparison. A few rides, some midway games where you shoot basketballs at an oval hoop, some unironic food trucks, etc.

ajkraz

Thought that the Avatarland expansion could've been delaying the inevitable and it's kind of coming to fruition. The last time I really thought about it was right after it had opened and before all the news about stuff at Epcot so I feel like it's even more obvious now. I would like to see Dinoland get turned into an Indiana Jones themed land and maybe redoing Kahli River Rapids into something more like the Bear one in California. But, in the end, I'm not sure what more they can do, the park just isn't set up as well as the other ones as it lacks the ability to change it's theming too much to anything outside of animals/nature. It's also the most out of the way park so you can't really earn brownie points that the other 3 can get (because you can take the monorail/boat/walk to them) and it's proven to be the hottest park at Walt Disney World by a substantial margin (in the ballpark of 8-10 degrees).

Paper straw fan

To say the Yeti is inconsequential to Everest is akin to saying the final drop at Splash is inconsequential. Both may only last the blink of an eye, but they are the climax of the ride.

Certainly, the highly praised Rhohdhe designed Everest around an encounter with the Yeti, who moves, scares you, teaches you to fear and respect the mountain. It is the point, the story.

It’s a prop, versus an actual physical part of the ride, so those aren’t really comparable. Now if the lack of moveable Yeti causes the ride to bypass that big drop and go directly back into the line queue, then perhaps. I get your point with the story but I guess that matters more to me on gondola/dark rides than a ride built for speed and thrill.

Maybe the T Rex at the end of the Jurassic Park ride at Universal is...well exactly the same, but they’re both just props that maybe add 1% extra enjoyment to me. The thrill rides are supposed to thrill, and to me as a chain lift coaster, it does fine for that. When I’m experiencing the 80 ft drop at 50 mph, the presence of hair bands or lack of moving animatronic doesn’t seem to factor in much. With the coasters, I’m not really riding Aerosmith thinking “does this accurately represent the freeways of Los Angeles, and why doesn’t the ending let us know if we made it in time for the concert?”

Last edited:

Dunston

I think that Kali River Rapids, Expedition Everest, and, most of all, Na'Vi River Journey should be refurbished/plussed before anything new is built at Animal Kingdom. Kali could use some new bells and whistles to bring it up to the level of its neighbors at the impressve ride-laden park, Everest obviously needs a yeti fix, and River Journey could use some more AA's to populate the ride with actual physical Pandoran animals.

Maybe if they put likeable moving figures of the Pandoran animals in Na'Vi River Journey, they would actually sell merch of them.

harryk

I feel AK is an amazing park the way it is and with a few changes, it would be an unbeatable park. The trails, coasters, shows, it has it all. Though the change of Flights of Wonder was extremely disappointing, I still love this park. It has the third best coaster (EE), I can spend hours on the trails, even to the dismay of my wife. I even love Primeval Whirl, only because of the 360 spin. Even the two restaurants in the park are amongst the best of all four parks. I never feel crushed by crowds here and I love the Nemo show.

The park needs some maintenance that should have been done years ago and Disney should admit defeat with the whole UP disaster and bring back the original FoW, I use to go to this show every park visit and a few times even twice in one day.

I could go on and on for this park and my wife would disagree with me on much of it. Everyone obviously has a different opinion of what is complete and what isn't.
FoW!!!!! Boy did they mess this up. It was great (even the tour guide) but replacing with characters is abomination. Also cutting the show somewhat has made it an 'I can skip this show' when time grows short.

tl77

I think Animal Kingdom could be one of Disney's best parks, it's not there yet, but Pandora and Rivers of Light were big improvements. I think in general Animal Kingdom needs some more "Disney Magic" the Tree of Life is this great fantasy icon but the rest of the park could use some more of that sensibility.

I think Dinoland land needs a make over to something more "organic". The rock work in the Oasis and the Gorilla trail is more the kind of look I'd like to see in Dinoland, and I think the Dinosaur ride is pretty good, but the pre-show/time travel/Dino-institute, thing is corny and needs to go. If it was more like Pandora, just this "magical place were dinosaur happen to exist" and they brought over, the mellow, Universe of Energy Dino ride, in addition to the fast paced one they currently have... I would be a happy man

They should use some version of the Beastly Kingdom concept, not a whole land like they originally planned, but one big dark ride full of super realistic AA animals, unicorns and dragons ect... basically Animal Kingdom's equivalent of Pirates of the Caribbean. I also think some version of Hong Kong's Mystic Manor would be a perfect fit at Animal Kingdom, maybe themed to Africa near the Lion King Show

And I won't be surprised if at one of the next D23's they announce a Zootopia-land is coming, they need a Fantasyland type of place you can go with little kids at Animal Kingdom

The Pho

I'd like to see in Dinoland, and I think the Dinosaur ride is pretty good, but the pre-show/time travel/Dino-institute, thing is corny and needs to go. If it was more like Pandora
You want (one of) the best preshow on property to be more like the worst preshow on property?

Raineman

I think Animal Kingdom could be one of Disney's best parks, it's not there yet, but Pandora and Rivers of Light were big improvements. I think in general Animal Kingdom needs some more "Disney Magic" the Tree of Life is this great fantasy icon but the rest of the park could use some more of that sensibility.

I think Dinoland land needs a make over to something more "organic". The rock work in the Oasis and the Gorilla trail is more the kind of look I'd like to see in Dinoland, and I think the Dinosaur ride is pretty good, but the pre-show/time travel/Dino-institute, thing is corny and needs to go. If it was more like Pandora, just this "magical place were dinosaur happen to exist" and they brought over, the mellow, Universe of Energy Dino ride, in addition to the fast paced one they currently have... I would be a happy man

They should use some version of the Beastly Kingdom concept, not a whole land like they originally planned, but one big dark ride full of super realistic AA animals, unicorns and dragons ect... basically Animal Kingdom's equivalent of Pirates of the Caribbean. I also think some version of Hong Kong's Mystic Manor would be a perfect fit at Animal Kingdom, maybe themed to Africa near the Lion King Show

And I won't be surprised if at one of the next D23's they announce a Zootopia-land is coming, they need a Fantasyland type of place you can go with little kids at Animal Kingdom
Oh boy. That last paragraph may start something worth grabbing popcorn for ;) Any mention of Zootopia at DAK always results in some interesting back-and-forth discussions.

JustAFan

AK has lots of shade. Nice on a hot day. And, ummm….yeah, that's pretty much it.

And if AK is a joke (notazoo!), Everest is a farce. Why some people rave about it is beyond me. Huge broken animatronic, remember? True, it's a fitting and horrendously expensive memorial to Robert Iger's oblivious greed and contempt for park guests, but it's an affront to the quality standards of Walt Disney. When I pay so much to visit a theme park, I can understand rides being down for needed refurbs and upgrades, but one remaining broken, yet running, for years because of corporate incompetence and indifference is, well, abominable. Damned if I'll ever ride Everest again. I bet Universal wouldn't neglect an attraction like this. Pitiful. Frankly, AK could shut down altogether and I wouldn't miss it. There are great zoos out there that eclipse it in terms of guest experience and are much cheaper (sometimes free). Pandora? PUH-LEEZE. Standing in line in a queue that features a giant blue kitty cat in a jar of formaldehyde (well, that's what it looks like) isn't worth the time or sore feet. Ick.
Everest is my favorite ride. I never saw the yeti in A mode, but the yeti interaction lasts all of a second? 2 seconds? I don't get why people whine about broken yeti so much when it takes up 0.002% of your day. I guess people just gotta gripe.

I joke that AK is basically a Disney zoo, but it does have one of the best rides on property (Everest) and one of the best shows (Lion King).

joshjoned

I don't think AK is in need of attention, but I do believe when both HS and EC get their new additions all done by 2021, AK will end up falling into last in attendance. Basically, when it's all said and done, I believe it will go back to how it was for years. MK first, EC second, HS third, AK 4th.

RollerCoaster

I want the Yeti to work as much as the next guy, but it hardly hurts the experience of Everest. It breaking surely doesn't keep the ride from functioning. It's still a very solid coaster with in-depth theming, a story told entirely through visuals, and impressive technology. The Yeti is more the icing on the cake, and while it's become somewhat of an unofficial symbol of present-day Disney's greed, the ride itself is still a breathtaking experience even without the moving boy.

First off, either you've never experience the ride with the Yeti working (most have not) or it's been so long that you've entirely forgotten how incredible the experience was. The working Yeti makes the attraction. It puts the experience on an entirely different level. It's a roller coaster so people like Everest regardless, but without the Yeti, "Everest is just an average Disney roller coaster, not a flagship attraction."

You're comment about this being an example of Disney greed is RIDICULOUS! It's offensive and just shows you're uninformed on the issue. Clearly you don't understand the definition of that word when you apply it to this situation.

It's been well documented online what is wrong with the Yeti and the solution is very complicated. It's not about money, but the fact that they're still not entirely sure it can be fixed without basically taking drastic measures like tearing down a good portion of the entire ride and mountain, and then have to rebuild it. I know for a fact that many in the company would love to see it fixed and if money was the only thing in way, we would have a working Yeti at this moment.

Further complicating the matter is the fact that the repairs will require the closure of a popular attraction for an extended period of time. Some Imagineers have estimated it could take as long as two years to fix the Yeti. This to some extent costs the park money since operating attractions define a park's capacity.

Your comment about this being about greed however is so unfair and untrue.

CoasterSnoop

You're comment about this being an example of Disney greed is RIDICULOUS! It's offensive and just shows you're uninformed on the issue. Clearly you don't understand the definition of that word when you apply it to this situation.

It's been well documented online what is wrong with the Yeti and the solution is very complicated. It's not about money, but the fact that they're still not entirely sure it can be fixed without basically taking drastic measures like tearing down a good portion of the entire ride and mountain, and then have to rebuild it. I know for a fact that many in the company would love to see it fixed and if money was the only thing in way, we would have a working Yeti at this moment.

Further complicating the matter is the fact that the repairs will require the closure of a popular attraction for an extended period of time. Some Imagineers have estimated it could take as long as two years to fix the Yeti. This to some extent costs the park money since operating attractions define a park's capacity.

Your comment about this being about greed however is so unfair and untrue.

:rolleyes:

Please.... There are at least 3 proposals to fix the thing. The suits just don't see why they should so long as Standby still hits an hour. WDI have tried plenty and have plenty of answers. Without having to close the ride. But they won't be paid for taking it further.

Not at all.

More like disassembled overnight, taken to the rear of it's platform, winched the short distance to ground level then trucked out of a roller shutter.

I've been meaning to post this for quite a while, but just haven't had time. Thanks to a recent reminder from @Master Yoda to try and shed some light on the Yeti debacle....

Ok, so back in September I was at a conference at WDW, and the wife decided to book a Dine With An Imagineer lunch at DHS. I skipped one of my educational sessions to do this, and we ended up with a 2-for-1. The main imagineer was a Show Design and Production manager, who was a DWAI veteran (and most recently involved in the Frozen Ever After project); the other guy was a mechanical engineer in charge of show quality, who was a newbie-in-training, at least when it came to these dinners. He explained to us that it was his job to do periodic "reviews" of the rides, and point out areas where show quality is falling below certain standards. He's also heavily involved in maintaining ride systems and animatronics. It was a fantastic experience, and we learned a lot about how things work behind the scenes, but nearing the end of our time, I (obviously) couldn't resist bringing up the Yeti.

Immediately upon my mentioning the Yeti, I could see that it was an obvious a sore spot for him. He stated that there have been multiple proposals put forth for repairing it, but none of the "big shots" have been on board. As for the specific problem, he mentioned that there are a couple of factors: flaws in the original "design calculations" (these were his words), particularly with regard to operational and maintenance conditions on such a large animatronic, and inability to perform proper maintenance on the Yeti. No mention of "shifting/failed foundations" as is often suggested. As a practicing structural engineer, I wanted to know whether this was the problem, and he indicated that the main issue is the animatronic itself.

The other factor is the ability to perform maintenance on the animatronic. I think this is the source of rumors that they "can't replace /fix it without opening up the mountain" rumors, but it's actually much simpler, and this issue ties into the first. He specifically talked about unanticipated stresses in parts of the animatronic due to lack of maintenance in other parts. If one of the motors in the yeti's elbow wears out or isn't functioning properly, but they continue to operate under those conditions, then higher stresses are transferred to the shoulder and chest, etc. My best guess regarding his comments about "incorrect calculations" is that he was referring to fatigue related problems in the robotic parts, and possibly in other structural supports.

The other major factor is that things have changed dramatically at WDW in the last few years regarding their compliance with OSHA standards for maintenance and fall protection. Any new work done to get the Yeti operational means that they have to update the design to meet these standards, so that ongoing maintenance on the animatronic can be safely performed. This would involve major upgrades to allow compliance with fall protection and other things related to maintenance workers.

It was encouraging at least to see how much it bothered him that it didn't work. He brought up the Universal dig re: their Kong animatronic (it moves...) and said that he and his colleagues all read blogs and other social media comments for research and to pick up on things they miss in their reviews. So, there you have it. Take it for what it's worth, but this guy was no bus driver...;)

Not that I blame you. That particular bit of misinformation seems to love to get itself around.

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I've never seen the yeti move, but undoubtedly a moving animatronic is a major part of the show. Without running carnotaurus / proper animatronic movement, Dinosaur was bad. I imagine its the same for a lot of Disney attractions trying to portray a story.

That being said, I think Everest needs a major refurb outside of just fixing the yeti anyway. It should be done, and sooner than later.

It could use another ride, perhaps in Asia or in Africa to try and get crowds away from Avatar until after they finish Epcot and HS upgrades. However, AK needs more than one attraction and Disney is already upgrading 3 parks right now. If they do anything in AK it will be one more ride for now and that will be just to get guests to disperse around the park moreso.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom