Animal Kingdom Lodge

Tuvalu

Premium Member
What is "non DVC"?
Disney Vacation Club. AKL has 2 separate buildings; Kidani Village is exclusively DVC with studios, 1 and 2 bedroom villas (non DVC members can rent rooms if available); Jambo House has the majority of the regular guest rooms although there are some DVC rooms. Regular guest rooms have fridges but no microwaves.

dreamfinder

The non-DVC rooms at AKL have fridges but no microwaves. Rooms at Kidani have microwaves, I think.

Correct. All WDW rooms should have mini fridges, DVC studios have microwaves, and 1/2/3BR villas should have full sized fridges and microwaves as well. I do believe there is a microwave down at The Mara along with one of those conveyer belt toasters for use by people in a normal room at AKL.

Sudcaro- Sudcaro

I honestly think all rooms should have microwaves - if you can find them in an average hotel chain room, you should have one in this kind of resort! We are not used to staying in such a luxurious place (really splurging here), but we always have an in-room microwave, whatever the hotel is. I hope the reason there isn't one in regular Disney resort rooms isn't a matter of profit, to make restaurants work more... :mad:
We'll have to check if we can use the one at the Mara, not sure we can without actually eating there, though. Moreover, if there is only one for the whole hotel... :rolleyes:
(This is no criticism, just a remark!)

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

I honestly think all rooms should have microwaves - if you can find them in an average hotel chain room, you should have one in this kind of resort! We are not used to staying in such a luxurious place (really splurging here), but we always have an in-room microwave, whatever the hotel is. I hope the reason there isn't one in regular Disney resort rooms isn't a matter of profit, to make restaurants work more... :mad:
We'll have to check if we can use the one at the Mara, not sure we can without actually eating there, though. Moreover, if there is only one for the whole hotel... :rolleyes:
You can use the one in The Mara even if not eating there. I agree that it is sometimes surprising which amenities are not included at Disney Resorts.

dreamfinder

You definitely can. It's in the same area as the soda fountains and the condiment bar. Nothing stopping you from walking up and using it. And considering they sell microwave foods in the gift shop (aimed more towards the DVC crowd but anyone can buy) it's there to be used. And I can't say I've seen any line ever formed, may just need to wait a few minutes for the person using it to finish up.

Launchpad McQuack

So my wife and I seem to be staying at different resorts on each trip (Boardwalk for honeymoon in 2011, Coronado Springs last month, and Pop Century for our upcoming trip in February), and AKL is the one that we both REALLY want to stay at on a future trip. We were thinking about taking a bus over there one day on our February trip. Is it worth heading over there and taking a look around, even if we are not staying there this trip? Also, are you able to see the Savannah from the "public" areas of the resort, or is that basically limited to Savannah-view rooms? We're planning on staying in a Savannah-view room on a future trip, but that doesn't really help us this time, if we are visiting to check the place out.

Thanks.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Yes you are free to visit and explore this beautiful resort! There are public areas outside where you can see the savanna. The lobby is gorgeous and the restaurants are great...perhaps you should book an ADR on your February trip and get a feel for the food as well :hungry:

kasey1988

Yes! Wall straight threw the lobby and out the back doors and there is some great views of the larger savannah. To the left in the lobby, just past the check on desk there is a smaller savannah. And if you go down to the pool area, you are able to walk past there and view the flamingo area and another angle of the savannah. Grab some zebra domes in the food court as well! So good! We enjoyed our trip there! We rented dvc points and got a great deal!
So my wife and I seem to be staying at different resorts on each trip (Boardwalk for honeymoon in 2011, Coronado Springs last month, and Pop Century for our upcoming trip in February), and AKL is the one that we both REALLY want to stay at on a future trip. We were thinking about taking a bus over there one day on our February trip. Is it worth heading over there and taking a look around, even if we are not staying there this trip? Also, are you able to see the Savannah from the "public" areas of the resort, or is that basically limited to Savannah-view rooms? We're planning on staying in a Savannah-view room on a future trip, but that doesn't really help us this time, if we are visiting to check the place out.

Thanks.

Sudcaro- Sudcaro

Yes! Wall straight threw the lobby and out the back doors and there is some great views of the larger savannah. To the left in the lobby, just past the check on desk there is a smaller savannah. And if you go down to the pool area, you are able to walk past there and view the flamingo area and another angle of the savannah. Grab some zebra domes in the food court as well! So good! We enjoyed our trip there! We rented dvc points and got a great deal!

Good to know! Thanks.

FutureCEO

I would say it's about a 15-20 minute bus ride to Magic Kingdom. Disney has complimentary buses to all of the parks, waterparks, and Downtown Disney throughout the day.

The main is thing is the bus system. Four buses from Epcot before a MK bus. Or like at Old Key West last year, an hour waiting for an MK bus.

ToTBellHop

The main is thing is the bus system. Four buses from Epcot before a MK bus. Or like at Old Key West last year, an hour waiting for an MK bus.
You must have had bad luck. That has never been my experience. I actually find the AKL bus service to be pretty fast as it doesn't share with any other deluxe. Sure, it's a bit remote, but that trip from Contemporary to Poly or WL to GF before heading out to a park takes awhile...just my experience, though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom