Animal Kingdom Lodge

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Strike up conversations with the cast members from Africa - they are always happy to speak about life in their home country and it can be really interesting to learn about the cultural differences. Wander the halls to see the various pieces of African art throughout. If I recall correctly, the collection is one of the largest on display outside of the African continent (there are larger collections, but not on display). Hope you love it as much as we do!

Last edited:

DVCPluto

Joining in... staying there in Dec.

We've eaten at Sanaa and the bread service is a lot of fun. Go nuts and get all the toppings!
Strike up conversations with the cast members from Africa - they are always happy to speak about life in their home country and it can be really interesting to learn about the cultural differences. Wonder the halls to see the various pieces of African art throughout. If I recall correctly, the collection is one of the largest on display outside of the African continent (there are larger collections, but not on display). Hope you love it as much as we do!
I agree! We got to our dinner res early to explore, and had a wonderful conversation with a CM. And, so much animal knowledge... it was awesome!

HollyAD

I agree with @Swissmiss ! Talk with the African cast members. They are available all day around the animal areas. I enjoyed watching the animals and speaking with them. It truly added to the atmosphere. My son did the cookie decorating and enjoyed that. I just like to take in all the beauty and the animals. This is one resort I could stay at for a week and not even think about going to the parks.

lostpro9het

What's Savannah night vision? Do they actually give you night vision goggles?? Where do we get those??? If that's what it is... so cool.
Pretty much. Just consult your resort info sheet to see when and where, we enjoyed it:
1cc84a5c9e786653802113fd0f79c4c2.jpg

c9c99a12e0abdf49acd3e2636360b68d.jpg

HouCuseChickie

I think you can sometimes tour the TS restaurants for free. Can't remember where I saw this...didn't have time to try when we were last there...but I've heard you get samples - YUM!!! You might also try a meal at Sanaa...loved that!

DABIGCHEEZ

My favorite Resort!...
Agree with talking to the cast members at the various savanah lookouts... they are great representatives of their homelands. Ask them about their homeland and how it compares to what Disney has tried to reproduce. I was shocked to find that the 2 CMs I spoke with a few weeks ago, said the weather in Fla is much hotter than there homeland of Botswana...they both said they had hard time adjusting to the humidity levels as there is none at home. Also wealth of information about the animals and how they are doing back in Botswana. I talked to one CM for nearly an hour(as there was no one else on the lookout). I would also recommend to check the schedule and see if there are any African presentations(given in the library at night). It is given by cast members that are native to various African countries and discusses the people & cultures, exports and native foods, nature and sports, etc of thier home country or countries. It was informative and we enjoyed it. We did this a few years back, so not positive it is still given but highly recommend it if given.
We did the nighttime Savannah viewing and we were like... whatever. It was given out on one of the lookouts by the pool(@ Jambo House) and they only had one pair of nightvision binocs to share. Same animals that are there during the daytime and all animals were waaay in the back of savanah when we went(not saying they are alway back there as they can still roam savanah at night). Just could not see much compared to morning or dusk.
Also remember to check out all the savannahs as they each have different species. If you have kids. check out the clubhouse for all kinds of crafts and activites for them. Enjoy!

P.S. Just a word of caution, if staying at Kidani... we spotted a few decent size Gators out in the lake area out front.

Daxiegirl

There is so much to do there that you'll be like me and wish that you'd planned more than 3 'down' days to enjoy the resort. I just printed off the resort schedule today and there is so much to do I couldn't possibly type it all here.
We are really looking forward to the Culinary Tour that @HouCuseChickie mentioned above. It's held daily at 3:45 pm at both Boma and Jiko. So Cool!!

Have a great time!

rt06

Check the calendar of activities and you get a bead for completing each one.

I think you can sometimes tour the TS restaurants for free. Can't remember where I saw this...didn't have time to try when we were last there...but I've heard you get samples - YUM!!! You might also try a meal at Sanaa...loved that!

Man, I wish I knew about this, but another site seems to verify this:

Be sure to take the free Culinary Tour, a 30-minute tour of the Boma and Jiko restaurants that includes food samples from both restaurants. Plus, you do not have to be staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge to take the tour! The Culinary Tour takes place at 4 p.m. daily. No reservations are needed or accepted. To attend, just show up at the Boma podium. There is no age limit, but this probably wouldn't be too interesting for young children.

Daxiegirl

Check the calendar of activities and you get a bead for completing each one.

Man, I wish I knew about this, but another site seems to verify this:

Be sure to take the free Culinary Tour, a 30-minute tour of the Boma and Jiko restaurants that includes food samples from both restaurants. Plus, you do not have to be staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge to take the tour! The Culinary Tour takes place at 4 p.m. daily. No reservations are needed or accepted. To attend, just show up at the Boma podium. There is no age limit, but this probably wouldn't be too interesting for young children.

So cool, right?!

There is also a cultural tour of Sanaa and Inkoma at the Mara and Cookie Decorating and Medallion rubbing and a Design tour and an African Journey, and, and, and......

I'm getting so excited just thinking about all there is to do.

I hope @Lightning McQueen is having fun!

CAPTAIN HOOK

And I thought it was just somewhere to sleep at night !!!!

I'll need to give these proposals and suggestions some thought for when we stay there next August.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom