Animal Kingdom Lodge Vs Wilderness Lodge?

Which do you prefer, AKL or WL

• Total voters

JasonDeyoung

Original Poster
I am trying to decide which to stay for a week in July. I have stayed at AKL once earlier in May, but I am looking for opinions from people that have stayed at both or just pros and cons. Any opinions are welcome. Thanks :cool:

Gomer

This is a very close call for me, and I don’t think you can go wrong either way. I love Wilderness lodge and would gladly stay there many more times. AKL has a couple of things on its side for me though.

1. The theming of AKL fits better with the Florida Climate
2. The restaurants are more interesting in my opinion (Although I side with Roaring Forks over Mara by a hair)
3. The WL theming is a little understated for me once you get out of the lobby. Feels a little to bland in the rooms and hallways for my tastes, whereas AKL permeates the entire resort.
4. AKL has better pool areas
5. As a DVC owner, I prefer the Kidani villas and their multiple bathrooms to the WL layout

WL has its perks too. Nicer lobby. Closer to the parks outside AK. Less chaotic (The Jambo lobby can get crazy because of the popularity of the restaurants). But in a very close race, the winner on this…for me…is AKL.

Disvillain63

Wilderness Lodge is our first choice. Primarily, we like the location but the feeling that you're in a place by yourself. It's near to the Magic Kingdom but the fact that it looks out onto the lake makes it seem miles away from the world. One of my favorite things is to sit on the dock after the EWP and listen to the quiet as I look out to Discovery Island...it can be an eerie feeling for some. We also like the fact that we can take one of the launches to MK or FW/CR. Eating at Wilderness Canyon is fun and we enjoy their 'bottomless' milkshakes.

Animal Kingdom Lodge is our choice during baseball season, because it is an easy drive to Champion Stadium. We get a Savanna-view room and enjoy our afternoon 'nap' watching the animals. We also love dining at Boma's the staff is wonderful.

Exploring both resorts is a nice afternoon activity on a hot summer day.

JasonDeyoung

Original Poster
Yeah, I stayed at AKL and I loved the pool, the resort was really nice. Only thing that I wasn't a fan of but wasn't a big deal was the time spent on busses, just seemed so far out but again not a big deal because the resort was pretty awesome. I had a pool view and it seemed pretty quiet to me. But I've always wanted to try WL I just hear so many different opinions it's becoming a tough choice lol

JasonDeyoung

Original Poster
I do like the choice you are offered at WL for the boat to mk or the bus and the location seems pretty ideal

Last edited:

tl77

2 really nice things about the boat from WL to MK is that there's very little waiting for it, and it drops you off and picks you up directly in front of MK's main gate

surfsupdon

I've stayed at both, AKL the first week of May.

Wilderness Lodge wins hands down. Convienent location, compact building yet land to explore.

I'd not want to stay at AKL ever again. It was remotely located and had very limited places to go outside and actually walk/run. Just by the pool/restaurants and the overlook out front.

However, the food at AKL has been my favorite (Mara, Jiko, Boma) but I'd still never stay there again.

Wilderness Lodge is very well done, and benefits from a more convenient location and more places to walk outside. I was so disappointed with AKL.

durangojim

AKL has amazing theming and is very nice but too remote for me. 2 nights is about all I can take. For me I love the WL, but the big draw is the boat to the MK and just being on the lake. I find something super peaceful about that. Also I love the fact that if the main pool is too busy, we can easily walk over to the villas and use the pool there which is usually pretty quiet yet fun enough for my kids to still love it. The rooms are on the smaller size in both hotels so that's pretty much a draw.

ABQ

It's July in FL. Which has the better pool? I've only used the WL pool and like it, but having never been to the AKL pool, I'm without knowledge.

UofMGuy423

I've stayed at both resorts and they each have their pros and cons. For me, the big benefit of WL is the boat ride to MK and the way it is nestled on the lake. It's a great reprieve from the business of the parks to sit back and relax in the pool, while overlooking the lake. It feels as if you're miles away from WDW, but you're right in the heart of it. Otherwise, both resorts have tons of a great theming, with AKL being more tropical. I would stay at either again. However, the WL is my favorite.

JasonDeyoung

Original Poster
image.jpg
AKL has an awesome pool I think, never been to the one at WL so that I am unsure about

ABQ

@JasonDeyoung , that looks like a bigger pool with more chairs and more umbrellas than the WL pool. Only because central FL is typically nice and steamy in July, I would look to the AKL. Even though the WL is typically my favourite resort to stay at. But I don't go in the summer.
The WL bus does share, depends where you are headed to, will either share with the GF or the FW resorts.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It's July in FL. Which has the better pool? I've only used the WL pool and like it, but having never been to the AKL pool, I'm without knowledge.
WL's pool is a little more ornate, but I think the pool at AKL is a little bigger. The hot tub at AKL is also a little more secluded.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
How is the bus system at WL? Ive heard it shares busses with other resorts.
Buses at AKL are actually quite good. They only share with The Villas at AKL next door. I think WL will share with other resorts, but I am not positive of which ones.

The only real issue with AK and the buses is the resort is physically farther away from the other parks save for AK. This adds about 10 minute or so of travel time.

durangojim

The pool at AKL is definitely bigger but WL is nicely themed to look like Yellowstone geysers and hot springs
wilderness-lodge-resort-gallery00.jpg

View-from-a-Deluxe-Room-at-Disneys-Wilderness-Lodge.jpg
I like the fact that if you swim over to where the river enters the pool, it can be a little more secluded too. I really enjoy the rock features and the geysers as well. Might be because I grew up going to Yellowstone and the Tetons almost every summer when I was a child.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom