Animal Kingdom attraction catches FIRE

dr_teeth90210

Original Poster
Earlier this afternoon(2/16/2005) there was a fire on the AK attraction, DINOSAUR. Apparently it was electrical issues which started the fire and caused the entire ride to be shut down. No word yet on where in the ride that the fire was started but Disney officials are saying it occured backstage. A cast member operating the attraction did receive medical attention but was later released. Disney anticipates that Dinosaur will reopen tomorrow,(2/17/2005).

And if there are any Cast Members out there who work this attraction or in AK,please, feel free to post more details.

tigger248

:eek:

Wow that's kinda scary. Though it sounds like it could have been much worse. Good to hear that there weren't any serious injuries.

Did it affect any other areas of the park? During my cp in 2002, Epcot had a backstage fire that cut all power to the park and the resorts in that area for a while. And, Epcot was closed for a day. Just wondering if this is comparable to that, or if it's of smaller scale.

Keep us posted! :wave:

Austin1

Too bad, I was hoping it would be dinorama :hurl: :goodnevil
Glad everything seems to be ok with dinosuar (I love that ride)!!!! :p

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Sounds like a localised problem in the attraction - what is worrying though is what caused it. Thankfully the EPCOT building code is very strict when it comes to fire prevention. I would think the attraction was evaced as a matter of course.

Tigger 248 - the Epcot fire you mention was at the localised substation behind M:S, unfortunatley the grid layout took out the Park, Beach Club Villas and the CBR too!

TheDisneyGirl02

tigger248 said:
Did it affect any other areas of the park? During my cp in 2002, Epcot had a backstage fire that cut all power to the park and the resorts in that area for a while. And, Epcot was closed for a day. Just wondering if this is comparable to that, or if it's of smaller scale.

I was there for that! I remember they brought some of the strolling performers from Epcot over to MK for the day...I remember a small musical group playing by Mrs. Potts. It was an interesting day for sure!

Hopefully the ride reopens today. It would be a shame for it to be closed for an extended period of time, especially since it will probably be busy this weekend due to President's Day!

TheDisneyGirl02

xfkirsten

tigger248 said:

I remember that! We got a big crew of EPCOT CMs who didn't have to go to work, and we all went to the Studios to play. It was packed, but we had friends at virtually every attraction. ;)

I do remember the frantically-put-on second showing of Fantasmic, where like half the pyro didn't go. :lol:

BeachClubVillas

marni1971 said:
Sounds like a localised problem in the attraction - what is worrying though is what caused it. Thankfully the EPCOT building code is very strict when it comes to fire prevention. I would think the attraction was evaced as a matter of course.

Tigger 248 - the Epcot fire you mention was at the localised substation behind M:S, unfortunatley the grid layout took out the Park, Beach Club Villas and the CBR too!

I was there for that too! We weren't at Epcot when it happened, but when we got back to BCV we had lost power and all the food in the fridge had gone bad. They were really nice about it though. They gave us a voucher for the store at the hotel to replace some of our food.

Imagineer

I remember the EPCOT fire...I was a CP then too! I remember that day because all of my roomates got off while I worked hard at DAK, it was the only day outside of the holiday season we had a line at Rafiki's Planet Watch....

Hopefully everyone at DAK is okay. It didn't sound too bad all things considered, especially since Dinasour is a congested ride with many things to catch fire onstage and backstage.

DLP Fan

The day of the Epcot fire in 2002 I was ment to be going on the Backstage Magic Tour. We were ment to meet at the enterance to Epcot. Was so disappointed. Luckly they had spaces on another tour before we had to go home. Hope there isn't any long term damage and more importantly everyone was ok.

celestia

I was also a cp! lol

I worked at disney-mgm studios, we were swamped that day because of the Epcot fire. (or was it the next day?)

tigger248

TheDisneyGirl02 said:
I was there for that! I remember they brought some of the strolling performers from Epcot over to MK for the day...I remember a small musical group playing by Mrs. Potts. It was an interesting day for sure!

Yeah, I mainly remember that my room mate who worked at Epcot got the day off and still got paid since she had been scheduled that day. All while I got force extended an hour or two because the MK stayed open later than originally scheduled and the closers all had to stay late. Ah, good times, good times. :lol:

Back on topic:
So, does anyone know if Dinosaur reopened today? I hope so!

xfkirsten

celestia said:
I was also a cp! lol

I worked at disney-mgm studios, we were swamped that day because of the Epcot fire. (or was it the next day?)

Yes, Studios was most definitely swamped that day. :lol: That's where we went to play! :lol:

T-1MILLION

Does anyone have any info on Dinosaur? I am guesing it is open again. I will be at AK and MGM this sun and was getting worried. Thank goodness that there were no serious injuries

KumbaRider

Wow, sounds like a thrilling day.....good to know nothing is seriously damaged. Hopefully it will operate normally this weekend since it's one of the park's main attractions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom