News Animal Kingdom 25th Anniversary

Eric Graham

Sometimes I wish that would do more with the Animal Kingdom park. It is my least favorite of all of the park, yet it encompasses the greatest amount of land of any park. That's what I've been told. A naturalist at a nature center told me that jobs there are one of the most sought after in the industry. But, that's just my opinion. I do really enjoy Dinosaur, Avatar, and Tough To Be A Bug. I also really like the restaurant Yak and Yeti.

Ayla

Sometimes I wish that would do more with the Animal Kingdom park. It is my least favorite of all of the park, yet it encompasses the greatest amount of land of any park. That's what I've been told. A naturalist at a nature center told me that jobs there are one of the most sought after in the industry. But, that's just my opinion. I do really enjoy Dinosaur, Avatar, and Tough To Be A Bug. I also really like the restaurant Yak and Yeti.
It encompasses the most land due to animal habitats and enclosures, the vast majority of which are off limits to the public.

LSLS

What large, metropolitan zoos do you visit? Bronx Zoo still has many primitive exhibits with visible cages/fences and wants $40 once everything is open in April and the San Diego Zoo is about $70…

I mean Bronx is $34 for an adult and $24 for a kid, so closer to $29/person for a family. Columbus is $28. Dallas zoo is around $18. Atlanta is around $23. Philly is around $20. Denver is $21. I'd say $25 is a pretty reasonable estimate (San Diego aside).

JMcMahonEsq

A family of four isn't paying $600/day to look at the animals. Large metropolitan zoos are $25/day per person. It's not my fault they never built Beastly Kingdom (or turned Dinosaur into Temple of the Forbidden Eye).
What large city zoos are you going to?

Bronx Zoo pricing is on less busy days $35 per day, and usually more (they use WDW model flex pricing)
San Diego Zoo is $70 bucks per day.
Franklin Park zoo in Boston is around $50, and again subject to WDW flex pricing system.

ToTBellHop

I mean Bronx is $34 for an adult and $24 for a kid, so closer to $29/person for a family. Columbus is $28. Dallas zoo is around $18. Atlanta is around $23. Philly is around $20. Denver is $21. I'd say $25 is a pretty reasonable estimate (San Diego aside).
San Diego is the only one even approaching DAK’s aesthetics, exhibit design, and level of care. The success of DAK’s breeding program is evidence enough. They have the happiest elephants on earth.

JMcMahonEsq

San Diego is the only one even approaching DAK’s aesthetics, exhibit design, and level of care. The success of DAK’s breeding program is evidence enough. They have the happiest elephants on earth.
I don't know, Bronx Zoo I would put up there. Its not AK, and maybe not SD, but if i had to group it with those, or the others mentions, i think its closer to AK and SD than others.

Eric Graham

It encompasses the most land due to animal habitats and enclosures, the vast majority of which are off limits to the public.
It was so exciting for me when I once volunteered at a national zoo. The animal handlers at the zoo showed me how they had trained the animals using positive reinforcement (of course) to have the animals reach draw blood to care for the animals. I also learned a lot about the backstory of the animals in the park I volunteered. There were a few snakes in the snake house they told me that they didn't have antivenom for which suprised me. I was almost a docent, but the zoo I volunteered at was close to an hour away so I didn't follow through with the training. I also volunteered at a nature center. It was such a big day for me when they brought out a great horned owl for me to see. The wing span on that animal was incredible.

ToTBellHop

I don't know, Bronx Zoo I would put up there. Its not AK, and maybe not SD, but if i had to group it with those, or the others mentions, i think its closer to AK and SD than others.
Complete with cheetahs pacing back and forth along fences in a lightly-forested enclosure that’s looks an awful lot like any park space in the Bronx.

Their gorilla exhibit is better and they used to charge extra for a reason.

And there is a reason DAK gets the best zoo vets and keepers in the country. Disney cuts a lot but its animal care program is top notch.

FerretAfros

3 out of 4 WDW parks are 'quarter-day' parks if you just go on the rides.
That’s not an excuse, it’s an indictment of the sad state of WDW’s attraction roster.

At one point in time, there was a reasonable argument that the 3 non-MK parks made up for their lack of rides with their other experiences: hands-on technology exhibits and cultural experiences in Epcot, live stage shows and demonstrations in MGM, and the animal exhibits in DAK. However, given their lack of investment over the years and slow but steady removal, it leaves the parks without enough to do to make them a pleasant experience.
  • Nearly all of Epcot’s experiential pre-shows, post-shows, and hands-on exhibit areas have been slowly eliminated over the last 25 years. While the number of rides is roughly the same (albeit with a far shorter total ride time), there’s not nearly as much for guests to do before, after, and between those rides. Additionally, it seems like the cultural representatives have less time for genuine interactions and are instead merely accessories to the constant clutter of outdoor kiosks selling alcohol at every turn
  • Studios is still running major stage shows that debuted during the HW Bush administration. The newest production is an “temporary” sing along that was hastily added (and feels like it!) nearly a decade ago. Additionally, nearly all of the behind-the-scenes demonstrations and atmosphere entertainment have been eliminated. While live entertainment was once the park’s defining feature, it’s now a collection of creaky old shows that people use to kill time when the waits are too long elsewhere, rather than anything that guests actively seek out
  • While the animal exhibits at DAK are great, I don’t believe any have been added to the park (though individual species occasionally get rotated in/out) since the 1999 Asia expansion, when the park was unapologetically a half-day experience. Sure, it’s gotten some new rides this this millennium, but the only reason it currently takes a full day to experience everything is because of the long waits for attractions due to the park being overcrowded
And while these parks fare better than MK, that park only looks good in comparison to them; 50 years on, it’s still underbuilt for the level of crowds it routinely gets, and lags behind its west coast sister by about 8 rides (AKA, an entire park’s worth of rides by WDW standards - DAK). It also needs more to do, which can easily be seen by comparing wait times at similar attractions on the two coasts.

Like it or not, most people go to theme parks to ride rides. And for how long they’ve been open, how many guests they let into the parks each day, how few non-ride attractions they have, and how old nearly every attraction (of all types) is, all of WDW’s parks are simply lacking things to do. It’s not just one or two items needed per park, it’s a major deficit across the board.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That’s not an excuse, it’s an indictment of the sad state of WDW’s attraction roster.

At one point in time, there was a reasonable argument that the 3 non-MK parks made up for their lack of rides with their other experiences: hands-on technology exhibits and cultural experiences in Epcot, live stage shows and demonstrations in MGM, and the animal exhibits in DAK. However, given their lack of investment over the years and slow but steady removal, it leaves the parks without enough to do to make them a pleasant experience.
  • Nearly all of Epcot’s experiential pre-shows, post-shows, and hands-on exhibit areas have been slowly eliminated over the last 25 years. While the number of rides is roughly the same (albeit with a far shorter total ride time), there’s not nearly as much for guests to do before, after, and between those rides. Additionally, it seems like the cultural representatives have less time for genuine interactions and are instead merely accessories to the constant clutter of outdoor kiosks selling alcohol at every turn
  • Studios is still running major stage shows that debuted during the HW Bush administration. The newest production is an “temporary” sing along that was hastily added (and feels like it!) nearly a decade ago. Additionally, nearly all of the behind-the-scenes demonstrations and atmosphere entertainment have been eliminated. While live entertainment was once the park’s defining feature, it’s now a collection of creaky old shows that people use to kill time when the waits are too long elsewhere, rather than anything that guests actively seek out
  • While the animal exhibits at DAK are great, I don’t believe any have been added to the park (though individual species occasionally get rotated in/out) since the 1999 Asia expansion, when the park was unapologetically a half-day experience. Sure, it’s gotten some new rides this this millennium, but the only reason it currently takes a full day to experience everything is because of the long waits for attractions due to the park being overcrowded
And while these parks fare better than MK, that park only looks good in comparison to them; 50 years on, it’s still underbuilt for the level of crowds it routinely gets, and lags behind its west coast sister by about 8 rides (AKA, an entire park’s worth of rides by WDW standards - DAK). It also needs more to do, which can easily be seen by comparing wait times at similar attractions on the two coasts.

Like it or not, most people go to theme parks to ride rides. And for how long they’ve been open, how many guests they let into the parks each day, how few non-ride attractions they have, and how old nearly every attraction (of all types) is, all of WDW’s parks are simply lacking things to do. It’s not just one or two items needed per park, it’s a major deficit across the board.
I would agree that DHS is totally failing about being "and something else."

It was supposed to be a few rides and shows. But there ain't much there or new for shows.

Now, IMO, I do think that EPCOT and DAK succeed in "and something else," namely, a World's Fair and a zoo.

But, they could all use more rides and more "something else."

ToTBellHop

The most popular ride in DAK is riding in a jeep to just look at animals.
I’ve never seen confirmation that they are live animals. The lion is always asleep and could easily be an AA. It whips its tail ever 15 sec like it was programmed to do so. The giraffe was very robotic last month. I wanted it to run and it did not. Feet bolted into the ground much?

Don’t get me started on the “flamingoes”. I’ve seen more realistic ones in the Walmart Garden Center any given July.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I’ve never seen confirmation that they are live animals. The lion is always asleep and could easily be an AA. It whips its tail ever 15 sec like it was programmed to do so. The giraffe was very robotic last month. I wanted it to run and it did not. Feet bolted into the ground much?

Don’t get me started on the “flamingoes”.
The lions are as real as the ostrich egg, termite mound, muddy roads, and baobab tree!!

MisterPenguin

Premium Member

Don’t get me started on the “flamingoes”. I’ve seen more realistic ones in the Walmart Garden Center any given July.
"Flamingoes" don't even exist in real life!!!

JMcMahonEsq

Bringing it back around to the 25th Anniversary, I also have to ask how many special Anniversary Celebrations can you have in such a short time.

They are just wrapping up the 50th WDW Anniversary, and leading right into Disney 100. Do we really need a 25 year anniversary event going on at the same time? I mean I love me some special ticketed event features (not in a sarcastic way, I love Boo Bash, Halloween parties, Christmas Parties, the 50th anniversary) but to go from 50th to 100th, and then fit in a 25th....eh, give me a popcorn bucket and a new Tee-Shirt and I am good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom