Anika Noni Rose is a Disney Legend?

juniorthomas

Original Poster
I just found out that Anika Noni Rose was given a Disney Legend honor in 2011. Somewhat surprised, since I had originally thought that this was only given out to people who made a significant contribution to TWDC. Not trying to put her down or anything, but as far as I know she worked on one Disney film. (It was a great film, imho) Is that really enough to make you a Disney Legend?

216bruce

It seems that the awards are made every other year now, at the D23 Expo.
While I agree that the Nine Old Men, Iwerks, etc. are to Disney history fans way more deserving of a Legends award, if you ask a mild or casual Disney fan who is more important: The guy that drew Baloo or the woman who was the voice of Princess Tiana, the response will be that they are both equally important. Many will say that ANY Princess is a much bigger deal. There are a lot of glaring errors of omission in who has received these awards in the mind of history buffs, but I don't think they were conceived with pleasing enthusiasts. I mean- Regis Philbin? Really? Pretty obvious they are awarded to some degree to please the 'here and now' people of the current company.

juniorthomas

Original Poster
It seems that the awards are made every other year now, at the D23 Expo.
While I agree that the Nine Old Men, Iwerks, etc. are to Disney history fans way more deserving of a Legends award, if you ask a mild or casual Disney fan who is more important: The guy that drew Baloo or the woman who was the voice of Princess Tiana, the response will be that they are both equally important. Many will say that ANY Princess is a much bigger deal. There are a lot of glaring errors of omission in who has received these awards in the mind of history buffs, but I don't think they were conceived with pleasing enthusiasts. I mean- Regis Philbin? Really? Pretty obvious they are awarded to some degree to please the 'here and now' people of the current company.

Agreed. I don't think anyone looks at Regis and thinks Disney. I actually don't want to know what people think when they look at Regis.

Genie of the Lamp

Agreed. I don't think anyone looks at Regis and thinks Disney. I actually don't want to know what people think when they look at Regis.

When I think Regis Philbin, I think of Who Wants to be a Millionaire and Million Dollar Password. So yeah Disney doesn't come to mind when I think of Regis Philbin. BTW, check this article out relating to Strahan climbing up the ranks of NYC Celebs and how Regis feels about that:
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...rce-article-1.1264775?localLinksEnabled=false

I love Regis and he truly was quite the charmer as a reporter and was warm, down to earth, and had a great media personel voice. I loved that one xmas day parade episode when he was a side reporter to Joan Lunden and Ben Vereen when he went into the Living Seas and showed you the pavilion to go along with the fact that he hosted many of the WDW Xmas day parades. I'd almost go as far and put him up there with Dick Clark level of greatest ever media personalities. He may not have deserved to earn a Disney Legend award, but he absolutely deserves any media award be it from ABC, NBC, etc. So back to Ainka Noni Rose, I watched PATF on disney jr today and loved it. Definitely a re watchable modern classic film. Yeah it's not the greatest, but it's pretty solid though. Used to watch it on Netflix before they yanked that licensing deal only to resurrect that deal to which where we are at now.

Animaniac93-98

IMO the "Legend" awards should go to individuals who have made multiple contributions to the company over many years of service. Giving it to someone after one movie, two years later, diminishes its value.

juniorthomas

Original Poster
When I think Regis Philbin, I think of Who Wants to be a Millionaire and Million Dollar Password. So yeah Disney doesn't come to mind when I think of Regis Philbin. BTW, check this article out relating to Strahan climbing up the ranks of NYC Celebs and how Regis feels about that:
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...rce-article-1.1264775?localLinksEnabled=false

I love Regis and he truly was quite the charmer as a reporter and was warm, down to earth, and had a great media personel voice. I loved that one xmas day parade episode when he was a side reporter to Joan Lunden and Ben Vereen when he went into the Living Seas and showed you the pavilion to go along with the fact that he hosted many of the WDW Xmas day parades. I'd almost go as far and put him up there with Dick Clark level of greatest ever media personalities. He may not have deserved to earn a Disney Legend award, but he absolutely deserves any media award be it from ABC, NBC, etc. So back to Ainka Noni Rose, I watched PATF on disney jr today and loved it. Definitely a re watchable modern classic film. Yeah it's not the greatest, but it's pretty solid though. Used to watch it on Netflix before they yanked that licensing deal only to resurrect that deal to which where we are at now.
I think PATF is definitely right up there as far as Disney princess movies go. As a male, i definitely appreciate the fact that it works for both boys AND girls, instead of excluding one or the other.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom