Angels tell Anaheim they're opting out of their lease on Angel Stadium

Nirya

I'm not sure I understand, if RBS is buying the plot of land, why there are time commitments to the Angels there. The Angels own the land, they can do what they want with it. They can play there into perpetuity. The can sell the land and move somewhere else if they want to, just like any other land sale.

What would even be negotiated after 30 or 45 years? That the Angels would have to give the land back? That's not a sale then, it's a lease. That they would have to change what goes onto the land? Don't property law already protect against sudden zoning changes by cities?

This is the only head-scratcher to an outcome I thought was pretty logical for both parties.

The stadium is essentially getting sold to Moreno, which is why the sale is to his company. The agreement then guarantees that, should Moreno sell the team down the line, they would still play in Anaheim through the end of the deal. If Moreno and his family keep the team, the land deal itself acts as pretty good incentive to keep the team in Anaheim, and the family would directly benefit by their presence. It’s basically just standard protection.

Darkbeer1

Has someone gotten a quote yet from Councilman Moreno yet on what he and his Union thugs think?

I haven't heard anything from Dr./Councilmember Moreno. I presume they are trying to find a way to spin it.

Last night, the councilmember wanted a public workshop on the afternoon of the 17th, but could get enough votes to even discuss it.

He stated he would do his own town halls. So I presume we will hear something in the next few days.

But the big issue will be in the Spring, when the city will figure out the conditions to allow building on the stadium property. That is the key issue.

Jiggsawpuzzle35

Original Poster
I haven't heard anything from Dr./Councilmember Moreno. I presume they are trying to find a way to spin it.

Last night, the councilmember wanted a public workshop on the afternoon of the 17th, but could get enough votes to even discuss it.

He stated he would do his own town halls. So I presume we will hear something in the next few days.

But the big issue will be in the Spring, when the city will figure out the conditions to allow building on the stadium property. That is the key issue.
The new ballpark in Arlington Texas has over 1,500 people building the stadium. Someone should make a poster of Moreno with the caption “The Killer of Thousands of Jobs”.

Darkbeer1

OK, here is our friend's comments, in an updated article, less than a hour old.

>>Councilman Jose Moreno, who has called for the city to be more transparent with information about the negotiations, said he’s “extremely distressed” about the city’s handling of the deal and how quickly the council will be called to vote on it. <<

So there is the direction they want to head.

The team is paying more than apprised value, the team stays in town, along with the jobs it creates. What is distressing about this part?

Jiggsawpuzzle35

Original Poster

>>Councilman Jose Moreno, who has called for the city to be more transparent with information about the negotiations, said he’s “extremely distressed” about the city’s handling of the deal and how quickly the council will be called to vote on it. <<

So there is the direction they want to head.

The team is paying more than apprised value, the team stays in town, along with the jobs it creates. What is distressing about this part?
Someone needs to question him on why he is so anti jobs for his constituents. SoFi Stadium has thousands of people from Inglewood working on that stadium. The same can be done for Anaheim. The guy can go to hell.

Ismael Flores

this should be the questions asked to him in front of a camera

Darkbeer1

Here is a new article, from the online Voice of OC, a site that was started by one of OC public unions (OCEA), ironically one my wife is a member of, she gets close from requesting to not be a member, but has certain health benefits she doesn't want to lose, even though I point out we can buy those insurance policy for less than the amount of union dues. A very bias "news" site.

But this is Councilperson/Dr. Moreno and UNITE HERE favorite way to communicate with the public.

>>
After months of official silence on the future of Angel Stadium, Anaheim officials are now gearing up to quickly sell the stadium facility and the 153-acres around it to a development company that includes the owner of the LA Angels, with a special public hearing on the sale now scheduled for Dec. 20.

The speed and secrecy of the process has one Councilman convinced his colleagues knew about the deal ahead of time.

“Let’s just say that, it’s very rare that I’ve come into situations, even among like-minded people, that no questions are asked or other options are pushed,” said Councilman Jose Moreno Wednesday.

No other Councilmembers, including Mayor Harry Sidhu, returned calls for comment.

Nobody seemed concerned over the land sale, first presented to the Council during the Nov. 19 closed session and Councilmembers “asked very limited questions, most did not look surprised. There was no real substantive discussion of deal points, which I think is good under closed session,” Moreno said.

Under state transparency law, known as the Brown Act, deal points can’t be discussed in closed session, other than very narrow talks of price and terms of payment, said media and open government attorney Kelly Aviles. She’s also Voice of OC’s chief litigator.

But the decision to consider a land sale should’ve been made in public, Aviles said.

“Even a decision of whether to sell the land, that should’ve been discussed in open session. People have a right to know whether we’re going to sell of public property. It’s something the community has a right to be involved in. And doing it all in secret to be a done deal … it’s just not appropriate and violates the Brown Act,” Aviles said.

Aviles represented the Los Angeles Times and the open government advocacy group Californians Aware in a 2013 lawsuit against the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum Commission for secretly negotiating for months before authorizing a 98-year lease to USC for the historic Memorial Coliseum.

An LA judge eventually ordered the commission to publicly release a trove of secret documents, according to the LA Times.

Moreno suspects there’s probably already development agreements unofficially in place since the City Council will move forward with a land sale long before voting on the agreements.

“The city is pretty much agreeing that with a wink and a nod that we expect there to be some development agreements coming. At that point the Planning Commission and the City Council will still have to approve an agreement,” Moreno said. “It’s hard to fathom the city would not agree to certain development agreements, given that there’s a sale of the land already.”

The $325 million land sale, as outlined by a surprise Wednesday announcement, could also have a community benefits package: including, affordable housing, parks and a workforce agreement.

It would also keep the Angels in Anaheim for 30 years.

After reading the proposal summary, Aviles is convinced there’s a Brown Act violation.

“When would you be able to say that the the Angels are going to stay for the next 30 years? What does that have to do with price and terms of payment?” Aviles said. “So where did all of this come from? If it wasn’t discussed in an open session, where did any of the authority to make these points come from?”

“I can’t see how this happened outside of a Brown Act violation.” she said.

Although the City Council will consider moving forward with the land sale at a Dec. 20 public hearing, the development agreements and community benefits package won’t be discussed until sometime next spring, according to the three-page land sale overview released Wednesday.

The city also released the stadium land appraisal Wednesday, which values the land somewhere between $300 and $320 million.

“What’s going on is if you want to eliminate debate, you control the narrative. And the best way to do that is to dump a whole lot of information at once — in a way that’s hard for the public and the press to digest and hope that everyone will throw up their hands reprint the press release,” said Neil deMause, a Brooklyn-based reporter who’s covered stadium deals for over 20 years.

deMause, who wrote the book “Field of Schemes,” runs a website by the same name tracking stadium deals around the country, including Angel Stadium.

Stadium deal expert and Stanford University economist Roger Noll said in a Wednesday email, it’s “weird” for both sides involved to move on a land sale before hashing out development agreements.

“Even the price is not decided because of potential adjustments based on details of the development plan that does not exist!” wrote Noll.

The community benefit package could reduce the stadium land’s $325 million price tag.

“Adjustment on final cash payment to reflect fair market value impact of community benefits sought by city and provided as part of agreement,” reads the three-page land sale overview.

If the City Council decides to start the land sale process at the Dec. 20 public hearing on the matter, Anaheim would eventually be relieved of its annual $700,000 stadium maintenance payment, according to the overview.

The overview also states the resulting development surrounding the stadium from the land sale could produce up to $7 million annually in tax revenue, but doesn’t provide specifics.

“That city fact sheet leaves more questions than it answers, really. The big ones being: are the Angels going to pay property taxes if they own the land or are they going to ask for a tax break? And the other being what’s this about the Angels being able to deduct the cost from things like parks and affordable housing from the sale price?” said deMause, adding he questions how the city came up with the $7 million projection despite not having development agreements in place.

City spokesman Mike Lyster, in a Wednesday email, said the Angels will pay property tax at the same rate as everyone else, if the land sale goes through.

“The Angels already pay property tax in what is known as taxable possessory interest on public land used for commercial purposes,” Lyster wrote. “They would continue to pay property tax, should they become owner, at the same rate as every other property tax payor.”

deMause said the Angels could “double-dip” in the development agreements to shave money off the final sale price.

“I sort of get the idea that if they’re going to build things, like the park, the public otherwise would be building — they (Angels) get to recoup that cost. On the other hand if they build a park because it’s good for their development, that’s double dipping,” he said.

deMause said the secrecy behind the proposed land sale is nothing new in stadium deals.

“Yes, I’ve seen things so secretive. I just covered the New York Islanders arena where they didn’t release the appraisal until hours before the vote,” said deMause Wednesday, adding the New York commission only released the executive summary and he’s still fighting for the full appraisal.

The Islanders arena deal was approved in August, and he’s scheduled to get a response to his records request for the full appraisal Dec. 19.

The announcement comes after months of silence on the issue and nearly a year after the City Council voted to reinstate the 1996 lease, which the Angels terminated October 2018, on the eve of the November General Election.

One of Sidhu’s 2018 mayoral campaign promises was to save the Angels.

“As Mayor, I will fight to keep the Angels in Anaheim. The Angels are an important asset to Anaheim. I will change the political environment and keep the Angels in Anaheim where they belong,” said Sidhu in an October 2018 statement on his campaign website.

Shortly after taking office, Sidhu successfully brought a lease reinstatement to the Council this past January, which would keep the Angels under the current lease until 2029. The January vote nullified the Angels’ October 2018 lease exit and extended the opt out deadline to Dec. 31.

But Sidhu, along with other top city executives and a couple news releases didn’t categorize the move as a reinstatement and an opt out clause extension, but a temporary lease extension to buy more time for stadium negotiations.

“Last week, I had met with the Angels owner Arte Moreno (unrelated to Jose Moreno). From that meeting it was clear that the team’s priority is to stay in Anaheim. We need time to make that happen. Tonight I’m asking Council colleagues to consider a one-year extension to the current Angels lease to the end of 2020,” Sidhu said at the January meeting.

The city’s stadium negotiating team, which includes Sidhu, City Manager Chris Zapata and City Attorney Rob Fabela, only met with the Angels negotiators three times before the land sale announcement. Sidhu got himself voted to the negotiating team.

According to a city document tracking the progress of stadium negotiations, the two negotiating parties met Nov. 15, 22 and 26.

Meanwhile, the City Council only talked about the stadium deal twice in closed session, according to meeting agendas. The first discussion happened on Nov. 19 and another discussion Dec. 4, the day before the land sale proposal was released.

deMause said the way Anaheim handled the negotiations is similar to Georgia’s Cobb County officials, who oversee the Atlanta Braves stadium. The officials skirted public disclosure law during negotiations with the Braves for a deal eventually cost taxpayers $400 million to help build a new stadium in 2017 and Cobb county taxpayers lost at least $5.8 million last year on Suntrust Park, according to the Atlanta Journal Constitution.

“They voted on it in about 2 weeks after it was announced because they had spent months and months and months negotiating in secret and having certain members of Cobb County Commission standing in the hallways so it didn’t trigger disclosure laws,” deMause said.

“Shame on our Mayor and the City Council majority in making this a secretive process — for refusing to provide the most minimal public information,” Moreno said.

He said he’ll be speaking with residents, along with public interest groups, over the proposed land sale. It could go to a lawsuit, he added.

We know that in Santa Ana and Garden Grove, public interest attorney and public interest organizations filed a lawsuit there over Willowick because it’s public land,” Moreno said. “My interest here isn’t I hope the city gets sued for the sake of it, but I hope the public, through public interest attorneys, can force this Council not to rush a complicated land deal and not rush and railroad a land deal that benefits their campaign donors.”

Aviles said the proposed deal is ripe for a lawsuit.

“Because the process they’ve used has been so out of line with what you would generally see and it really raises serious Brown Act questions,” Aviles said. <<

Darkbeer1

With this out of the way, maybe something can happen with Disney.

In what way?

I see a few things.

As mentioned, due to the need for some parking spaces for the stadium while a parking structure (Think the size of Mickey and Friends AND Pixar Pals) is built for the stadium. (And think of the traffic after an event), the Eastern Gateway's Pummba Structure could be used, along with buses, as a temporary fix, and revenue to Disney.

When completed, along with the Ducks project, better public transit will be needed between the DLR, Convention Center and the new ARTIC Sports region (Think LA Live).

The city will still want the completion of Gene Autry Way between Angel Stadium and the Convention Center through the current Toy Story Lot, and that now the city could demand funds to help provide traffic relief to the stadium from the new development brings Disney into play.

But when completed, along with the 2028 Olympics, you will have more tourism related activities (Hotels, restaurants, entertainment, transit, etc.) in the region, and as we know, that helps everyone, folks will want to stay in the region longer when they visit, and do more things. This should have Disney selling more tickets, and will need more capacity and new attractions, at the Disneyland Resort. And yes, more CM's.

Now, what will Disney do with these opportunities? Will Disney, after the lack of strong attendance in the Summer of 2019, move forward with the Eastern Gateway, or will they decide yet again, that it is too much money to invest in just a parking facility, like they did for the decades until they HAD to build Pixar Pals (no other alternative), or will the leadership see forward 10 years?

If the Eastern Gateway moves forward, what do they do with the Transportation Plaza land?

How much more backstage area is Disney willing to convert to new attractions?

How about finally getting the Toy Story Lot zoning become permanent? They have to either get the city to extend the temporary parking zoning from agricultural (the current zoning for the property) or get a new zoning use. How does the possible Gene Autry extension come into play?

Can Disney ever get the Majestic Hotel property owners to sell their land? They have unsuccessfully tried many times in the past to get a deal done. What other properties can Disney get its hands on for expansion?

The major changes coming to the Platinum Triangle area is a large opportunity to TWDC, but it will require investments funds. How much is Disney willing to spend as Anaheim enters a new chapter of moving forward?

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

>>

In the department of sports, the city of Anaheim is on a pretty good run. In a 13-month span, the city’s two pro teams have agreed to extend their residency through the first half of this century.

The Ducks last November agreed to call Honda Center home through 2048. And, on Wednesday, the Angels agreed to stay in town through 2050. For a city with a smaller population than Bakersfield, that’s a major league double play.

The headline was clear on Wednesday: The city would sell Angel Stadium and the surrounding parking lots for $325 million.

So when do the Angels open their brand new, grand new stadium?

That depends on whether they decide to build one. The team said it has retained HKS Architects, a firm that designed the Dallas Cowboys’ stadium and Salt River Fields in Arizona, widely regarded as the finest spring training facility in the major leagues, to offer options for renovating Angel Stadium and for replacing it.

And what happens to the surrounding parking lots?

After a half-century of suburban baseball — drive into the parking lot, get out of your car and walk straight into the stadium — the Angels hope to lure fans to arrive early, stay late, spend the weekend, and maybe even move into a ballpark neighborhood. Think restaurants, shops, hotels, and homes: a smaller version of the Petco Park environment in San Diego, integrated into an already growing urban residential district. And, depending on the scale of development, maybe think parking structures too.

The land sale includes the City National Grove of Anaheim, a city-owned theater on the property. The Grove management agreement between the city and Nederlander Concerts expires on Dec. 31, 2020. The city expects the Angels to unveil their development proposal next spring.<<

Anjin

Can Disney ever get the Majestic Hotel property owners to sell their land? They have unsuccessfully tried many times in the past to get a deal done. What other properties can Disney get its hands on for expansion?
I can probably guess, but I might as well ask. Is there something about the Majestic property that is particularly enticing for Disney? Would they move back-of-house space across Ball to free up more room for the park or is there some other goal they'd be looking toward?

Darkbeer1

I can probably guess, but I might as well ask. Is there something about the Majestic property that is particularly enticing for Disney? Would they move back-of-house space across Ball to free up more room for the park or is there some other goal they'd be looking toward?

Adjacent property, so yes moving things to the north side of Ball. Heck, even just building a new parking structure to replace the current one, along with a pedestrian bridge. More warehouse space, nothing fancy. Something the city can easily approve, and free up space in the special zone where Disney can decide itself what to do.

The land inside the current Disneyland Resort Specific Plan is VERY important to Disney, and any function that can be moved out of the area is the goal in general.

A reason why Disney is looking to build Hotels "off property" such as at Toy Story or Garden Grove.

Last edited:

NobodyElse

Adjacent property, so yes moving things to the north side of Ball. Heck, even just building a new parking structure to replace the current one, along with a pedestrian bridge. More warehouse space, nothing fancy. Something the city can easily approve, and free up space in the special zone where Disney can decide itself what to do.

The land inside the current Disneyland Resort Specific Plan is VERY important to Disney, and any function that can be moved out of the area is the goal in general.

A reason why Disney is looking to build Hotels "off property" such as at Toy Story or Garden Grove.

For a while now, (assuming Disney could acquire that property), I've wondered if CalTrans would be able to grant easement adjacent to the 5 under Ball Rd. There's certainly room for a walkway, covered/enclosed or not.

Darkbeer1

For a while now, (assuming Disney could acquire that property), I've wondered if CalTrans would be able to grant easement adjacent to the 5 under Ball Rd. There's certainly room for a walkway, covered/enclosed or not.

Ok, there is a Triangle that contains 2 Main Properties, the boundaries are Disneyland Drive, Ball Road and I-5. The Anaheim Majestic Hotel (old building) and a newer office building, aka the Wincome Building.

If Disney could get both, they could keep the Tall office tower for TDA use, and use the Majestic property for a new parking structure.

Work with Caltrans and the city to see if they want some of the land to improve the Disneyland Drive to Southbound I-5 on ramp.

A Pedestrian bridge the same height as the Ball Road Flyover that would be only used by CM's would connect the area to the main portion. (This is actual somewhat common, since it improves traffic flows, cities agree to them without much issue).

But it would be OVER Ball, not under, for many reasons. And the approval would be from the city.

Now you can tear down the Banana Building (Current TDA building) and the parking structure next to it, opening up an area that could be used for park expansion, or shuffling other facilities in the north backstage area to open up land for new attractions there, such as a Galaxy Edge expansion.

But for Disney, if both parties are willing to sell, it won't be cheap.

NobodyElse

But it would be OVER Ball, not under, for many reasons. And the approval would be from the city.

For clarity, this was the "under Ball road" area to which I was referring:
1575759733775.png

But, I get what you're saying. There are certainly many more "ifs" to come about before easy access between those properties needs to be considered.

Darkbeer1

>>About a week and a half ahead of a City Council vote on the deal, Anaheim released a draft of the proposed Angel Stadium sale agreement and a report estimating its economic benefits.

The agreement released Tuesday, Dec. 10, spells out issues such as when Anaheim would receive deposits on the $325 million sale price, when plans for developing the land are due (no later than summer 2021) and how long the baseball team would be committed to stay (at least 2050, with optional extensions stretching through 2065).

The land sale agreement would convey 153 city-owned acres including the stadium to a business partnership that includes Angels owner Arte Moreno.

The sale price was based on a city-commissioned appraisal that some critics have suggested is a low-ball figure. Some also have questioned the speed with which the city is pushing to get an agreement signed, as the clock ticks on a Dec. 31 deadline for the Angels to opt out of their current lease.

The City Council is scheduled to vote on the sale agreement on Dec. 20. But city spokesman Mike Lyster noted that the overall deal is contingent on council approval of two other parts, a development agreement and a community benefits agreement, which likely won’t be drafted and made public until the spring.

If the sale goes forward, the buyer – a partnership known as SRB Management – would make a series of deposits totaling $70 million (plus possible extension payments) over the next several years; the remainder would be due upon closing of the sale, which is given an outside deadline of Sept. 30, 2025.

But council members won’t know when they vote Dec. 20 what that remaining balance will be because the city would reduce the final bill by a yet-to-be-determined amount for benefits it has requested, including affordable housing, additional public park facilities and a workforce agreement to encourage local hiring and the like.

The deal won’t become final without all three parts, the last of which is the city receiving tract maps for development on the property, Lyster said, so “it’s not like they’re being asked to vote on something today and they don’t have all the details.”

The city has projected it could see as much as $10 million a year in property, sales and hotel taxes once the land around Angel Stadium is developed with homes, restaurants, shops and other businesses. That’s a clear improvement on how the city fares under the current stadium lease, receiving on average $1.35 million a year but also paying six figures into a facility maintenance fund and sometimes coming out in the red.

But the costs of owning the stadium won’t end the day the City Council approves the land sale. The existing lease remains in effect until the sale closes, which may be up to five years out.

Anaheim still must make payments totaling about $523,000 to retire debt from a 1980s addition of convention exhibit space at the stadium, and Lyster said the city will spend about $5 million on required contributions to capital costs before the sale closes.

A state-required report describing the benefits of the stadium deal, released along with the land sale document, estimated that, over 15 years, development of the property could yield $3.5 billion in construction, 18,000 construction jobs and $1.5 billion in wages.

Once all development is done, the report projected 15,000 new permanent jobs, a $5 billion increase in assessed property value and as much as $20 million in tax revenue for the city.<<

Darkbeer1

City Press Release.

ANAHEIM, Calif. (Dec. 16, 2019) — The Anaheim City Council will publicly consider a purchase and sale agreement for 153 acres of land around and including Angel Stadium of Anaheim at a special meeting on Dec. 20 at 2 p.m. in the Council Chambers at Anaheim City Hall.

The proposed agreement would be between the city of Anaheim and SRB Management Company LLC, a company of Angels Baseball LP owner Arte Moreno.

The meeting is open to the public and all are welcome to speak before the City Council. The meeting will also be streamed live online at Anaheim.net and Anaheim TV (channel 3 for Spectrum TV customers).

Doors to the Council Chambers will open at 1 p.m. and the meeting will begin at 2 p.m. The Angels agreement is the only item on the agenda for Friday’s meeting.

We expect a large attendance at the meeting, and all attendees will need to go through security screening before entering the Council Chambers, as is our protocol for every City Council meeting.

We will ensure that all who wish to address the City Council have the opportunity to do so. But to make things easier, please give yourself extra time to arrive and go through screening.

Those who are not able to attend the meeting in person can watch from home online, live or at a later time, and are also welcome to share their thoughts with the Council by emailing BigA@anaheim.net.

The proposed agreement before the City Council on Friday is the first step in a proposed three-step process, with each step being publicly considered by the City Council.

If the purchase and sale agreement is approved on Dec. 20, the City Council is expected to consider a disposition and development agreement, covering future development and community benefits, and a commitment agreement with the Angels, in spring to mid-2020.

If these agreements are approved by the City Council, the next step would be the filing of a master site plan, tract maps, city and environmental review between 2021 and 2025.

You can find more information about the proposed agreement, including the full purchase and sale agreement, at Anaheim.net/BigA.

Last edited:

Jiggsawpuzzle35

Original Poster

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom