And the winner of WDWs worst advertising idea goes to

Goofyernmost

It's not about it being different, it's about it being super cheesy and embarrassing.
It's in Fantasyland at WDW it is supposed to be cheesy at least that part of WDW is aimed at children and I see nothing that is embarrassing. Help me out here, what is embarrassing about it.

celluloid

The Magic Happens were personally the best for me, emotional, realistic for the most part and you can sell the brand without having to be within the parks.

Park specific the best have been everything in the 25th Remember the Magic era to the Tower of Terror 4 ads.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The Magic Happens were personally the best for me, emotional, realistic for the most part and you can sell the brand without having to be within the parks.

Park specific the best have been everything in the 25th Remember the Magic era to the Tower of Terror 4 ads.

Fe4r every drop.

celluloid

Fe4r every drop.
Fear Every Drop was a weird campaign. I remember the online animated comic they had of the dudes pumping a truck of terror into the tower that mirrored the odd commercials and eventually a tank truck resembling it was parked in front of the property Tower of Terror animated sign. It was odd but definitely an early internet surfing memory of mine.

I was speaking well of Tower 4 ads.

The simplicity of O'Fortuna with the lights was brilliant.

Last edited:

Wendy Pleakley

I always rolled my eyes at the irony of the "Disney's Best Kept Secret" marketing for DVC.

It's literally on every bus. And every 20 feet in the theme parks. NOT A SECRET!

Not that it's bad marketing. It gives the impression that it's something you'll want if you learn more, but still ironic.

BHF

Original Poster
The seven dwarfs + rapping + family putting on shades, flipping up shirt collars and high-fiving like they're about to participate in a Daytona race.
On second thought, even Daytona racers don't act that cringy before an event.

Goofyernmost

The seven dwarfs + rapping + family putting on shades, flipping up shirt collars and high-fiving like they're about to participate in a Daytona race.
OK, so that is what's happening, what is embarrassing about it. I thought it was fun and different. Man, you folks are so uptight about everything that is different. You have told me what, but I have yet to hear why. Explain why that is offensive. Wasn't the whole concept of the mine train about speed and thrill encased in entertainment. And perhaps a more subtle message that it was cool to be part of that ride.

Goofyernmost

I never thought it was offensive. Just plain corny and not up to the quality of better executed advertisements.
I've explained why twice now.
I don't remember you explaining before, but OK, if you say you did, I might easily have missed it. However, that said, it changes nothing. You didn't like it, I thought it was original and clever. We all have our right to opinions and in this case we differ. I have just been trying to understand why, but it really is as simple as personal preferences. Just out of curiosity, what would you feel would have been more appropriate in the form of advertising for that specific attraction.

LaughingGravy

I don’t know about worst (we don’t get a lot of advertising out here), but I remember a very effective one from years ago. Two siblings in bed “too excited to sleep,” because they were headed to WDW tomorrow. Then parents in their bed with the same dilemma. We still quote “I’m too excited to sleep!” at home the night before any vacation, not just WDW.
I had one vacation where I just went to sleep, got up and went. That was when it hit me I was an adult.
I never did it again. I am now always excited for any vacation or trip and I'm back to having it being really difficult to get to sleep the night before. It's a much better place to be.

BHF

Original Poster
We all have our right to opinions and in this case we differ.
This was a fun and lighthearted discussion before you came in being condescending and interrogating people over opinions.
Why don't we leave it at this with your very own words.

Goofyernmost

This was a fun and lighthearted discussion before you came in being condescending and interrogating people over opinions.
Why don't we leave it at this with your very own words.
Well, aren't you a breath of fresh air. Let's see if I got this right, as long as we agree with your opinion then it is a nice discussion. However, my being positive about something that you didn't think was any good is me being condescending and not worthy of being on a discussion board. I'll make a note of that. That, btw, wasn't condescending it was sarcasm. You might be right though because you have been on the board since 2021 and I have only been here since 2003. So I guess I should be the one to leave, but I'm not going to do that. I am willing to stop posting on this topic because it isn't important enough to continue to comment on..

S.I.R. the Robot

In the Parks
No
Fear Every Drop was a weird campaign. I remember the online animated comic they had of the dudes pumping a truck of terror into the tower that mirrored the odd commercials and eventually a tank truck resembling it was parked in front of the property Tower of Terror animated sign. It was odd but definitely an early internet surfing memory of mine.

I was speaking well of Tower 4 ads.

The simplicity of O'Fortuna with the lights was brilliant.

When was this?

celluloid

The first one, probably 1997-98 ad campagin.

The second ad was airing heavily in the early to mid 2000s. Initially for the Tower 4 promotion.

J_Carioca

OK, so that is what's happening, what is embarrassing about it. I thought it was fun and different. Man, you folks are so uptight about everything that is different. You have told me what, but I have yet to hear why. Explain why that is offensive. Wasn't the whole concept of the mine train about speed and thrill encased in entertainment. And perhaps a more subtle message that it was cool to be part of that ride.
Responding very late, but since you asked...it's not an offensive ad in any way but it is super corny and embarrassing. It's like watching your totally square uncle trying to be cool and failing miserably. I see no reason to call people "uptight" for pointing that out.

Goofyernmost

Responding very late, but since you asked...it's not an offensive ad in any way but it is super corny and embarrassing. It's like watching your totally square uncle trying to be cool and failing miserably. I see no reason to call people "uptight" for pointing that out.
Again it is a fantasy theme park and humor needs to be strong to have complete entertainment. What in WDW isn't corny, they built the company on corny!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom