And the hits keep coming for Carnival

EOD K9

Carnival Horizon hits the pier in NYC this morning. Looks like pretty minimal damage, thankfully.

40353122_10212060574053476_7841601643786272768_o.jpg

40261766_10212060573933473_4492252100436164608_n.jpg

40236455_10212060574733493_5980469057458012160_n.jpg
A few bottles of White Out and she'll be as good as new.

Maeryk

Perfect example of "you get what you pay for".

You may get 3 cruises for the price of 1, but your chance of being stranded in the middle of the ocean is becoming increasingly more likely. I consider that unacceptable enough to avoid any consideration I'd ever have of sailing Carnival.

Carnival has 26 ships. Disney has 4. A number of Carnivals ships are older. Disney's were all built to order, none reflagged from another line.

Ships are complicated. Things break. Disney ships have lost engines, lost power, and had deaths and crimes onboard.

Issues are not unique to, nor absent from, any line. If Disney had 26 ships, they would likely have a similar quantity of incidents, especially if a significant chunk of their fleet were older ships.

Voxel

President of Progress City
Carnival has 26 ships. Disney has 4. A number of Carnivals ships are older. Disney's were all built to order, none reflagged from another line.

Ships are complicated. Things break. Disney ships have lost engines, lost power, and had deaths and crimes onboard.

Issues are not unique to, nor absent from, any line. If Disney had 26 ships, they would likely have a similar quantity of incidents, especially if a significant chunk of their fleet were older ships.
Can’t speak for public sector to much but ships don’t typically fail like this without failure of maintainces or some kind of warning. This is an interesting failure in its nature because stabilizer wings “deploy”. I would have expected some kind of warning or routine maintenance to catch this issue.

This is a strange failure, this isn’t a engine or typical failure which most companies account for because there are multiple engines on board.

Last edited:

Maeryk

Can’t speak for public sector to much but ships don’t typically fail like this without failure of maintainces or some kind of warning. This is an interesting failure in its nature because stabilizer wings “deploy”. I would have expected some kind of warning or routine maintenance to catch this issue.

This is a strange failure, this isn’t a engine or typical failure which most companies account for because there are multiple engines on board.

They jam now and then. They said an electrical control board failed.. my bet is it put one stabilizer out in a flat angle, and it got stuck there.

The thing just came out of drydock a short time ago.. I'm guessing something didn't get maintenanced right.

ChuckElias

Original Poster
If Disney had 26 ships, they would likely have a similar quantity of incidents, especially if a significant chunk of their fleet were older ships.
It's pretty much pure speculation (on my part), but I disagree with this. I don't think the number of ships in the fleet is the primary reason for Carnival's persistent problems.

The thing just came out of drydock a short time ago.. I'm guessing something didn't get maintenanced right.
And this is why I disagree. DCL doesn't make these types of mistakes in its maintenance. At least, not on the magnitude that's required for the volume of reported problems in Carnival's fleet.

Maeryk

It's pretty much pure speculation (on my part), but I disagree with this. I don't think the number of ships in the fleet is the primary reason for Carnival's persistent problems.

And this is why I disagree. DCL doesn't make these types of mistakes in its maintenance. At least, not on the magnitude that's required for the volume of reported problems in Carnival's fleet.

a lot of Carnivals ships are older too, was my point. Also, there's a certain number of issues that just happen. As I said, Disney has had it's own incidents. You can look them up. Mostly power losses, at least one full engine failure, and an allision in there as well.

ChuckElias

Original Poster
a lot of Carnivals ships are older too, was my point. Also, there's a certain number of issues that just happen. As I said, Disney has had it's own incidents. You can look them up. Mostly power losses, at least one full engine failure, and an allision in there as well.
I totally get your point. I just think it's incorrect. I know DCL has had issues, but they don't happen on the constant basis that seems to be the case for Carnival.

And it's no excuse that Carnival has older ships. Let's not forget that the Magic and Wonder are now 20 and 19 years old, respectively..

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
a lot of Carnivals ships are older too, was my point.

If they are older, and they know it, then they should have a maintenance plan in place to accommodate the additional labor and material requirements to ensure proper operation.

Also, there's a certain number of issues that just happen.

You are 100% correct. A major issue such as this is not an issue that would just happen. There is a clear negligence in the preventative maintenance and inspection plan.

As I said, Disney has had it's own incidents. You can look them up. Mostly power losses, at least one full engine failure, and an allision in there as well.

Yes, DCL has had their own incidents! The difference is in the DCL incidents, they throttle themselves back to prevent a total system/component loss failure. Having propulsion plants that are independent of each other with multiple redundant measures in each is a big park of that. It is an extra cost during construction and one that Carnival clearly decided was not worth it.

One full engine failure is actually rather disingenuous. They saw a potential issue and shut it down to prevent further damage. But with DCL vs Carnival and Royal, DCL has plants that are independent of each other in their entirety so a loss of one is a much smaller scale issue. Each plant also has multiple redundant measure that enable them to run in limp mode on a few different levels. Operating on the side of caution will be beat operating on brink of disaster any day.

They jam now and then.

They really do not jam without a lack of maintenance. Improper greasing, not cleaning old grease out before applying new grease. Not inspecting limit switches and their connections/cabling. Failure to maintain and inspect the hydraulic actuating systems. Ignoring adverse noises coming from actuating motors or ignoring a gradual decrease in HP output from actuating motors. A proper inspection and maintenance plan would send a red flag up instantly before an issue such as this could occur.

They said an electrical control board failed.. my bet is it put one stabilizer out in a flat angle, and it got stuck there.

An electrical cabinet should be opened and inspected at least once weekly to investigate potential component failure. There are test routines that would throw a red flag if something were to begin failing, as well. Saying a board failed screams, once again, improper maintenance and inspection.

The thing just came out of drydock a short time ago..

The drydocking is required to ensure hull integrity. Nothing has to technically be done outside of that. With Carnival's track record, they are clearly only doing the bare minimum outside of that.

I'm guessing something didn't get maintenanced right.

Now we are getting somewhere!

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
I totally get your point. I just think it's incorrect. I know DCL has had issues, but they don't happen on the constant basis that seems to be the case for Carnival.

And it's no excuse that Carnival has older ships. Let's not forget that the Magic and Wonder are now 20 and 19 years old, respectively..

You are 100% correct, Chuck. The company makes it clear how they disregard the importance of basic maintenance. Look around at any of their vessels while they are in port with you. Look at the hull, railings, wood, trimmings, funnel soot and items along that line. A good rule of thumb is if they do not care that you can openly see large maintenance and preventative maintenance issues, then what you cannot see is worse.

jaklgreen

Not to mention that there are other cruise lines with more ships and they don't seem to have all of these issues that Carnival does.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Who has more ships at sea?

I thought Carnival had the largest fleet.
If I am not mistaken, Carnival currently only has one more ship than Royal Caribbean giving them largest fleet, but I believe if you go by actual passenger capacity of the fleet, Royal Caribbean beats them by just a smidge.

Carnival has 3 ships currently under construction and Royal Caribbean has either 5 or 6 more ships due out by 2024 so they will surpass them in both number of ships and capacity in the not so distant future.

Where carnival's numbers really get big is when you look at number of passengers per year. Since they do numerous short cruises, they service a considerably larger number of guests per year.

Miss Bella

We are platinum (20 cruises) on DCL, but cruised on the Carnival Vista in the Med. a couple of years ago. We absolutely loved the ship. Believe it or not there are things that Carnival does better. I wouldn't hesitate to cruise on Carnival again. In fact I'm considering the Horizon next year. I have no intention of cruising on Carnival's older ships, but their new ships are quite appealing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom