And the hits keep coming for Carnival

ChuckElias

Original Poster
I'm not taking jab. I'm simply reporting a story that I just found out about. Didn't mean to touch a nerve. Carnival is obviously a popular brand. But when these stories pop up, it's almost always a Carnival product. That was the point of "the hits keep coming". This is the second power outage on a Carnival-owned ship in a week. A Fathom ship was ordered by the Coast Guard to return to its home port last week after losing power.

Carnival's prices are obviously the lowest of any major cruise line, and I honestly have no desire at all to take a Carnival cruise. I consider the extra cruise fare to be travel insurance, I guess. (Ok, that was a jab. :) )

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The ship in question has it's home port in my home town of Jacksonville Florida and it seems to run your typical 4-5 day Bahamas drinking and gambling type itineraries.

While I have never personally cruised on it I know a number of people who have and nearly all have described the condition of the ship as "just good enough to float" making a report of mechanical problems come it at a surprise level of zero.

tk924

We just recently sailed the Disney Dream (our second time ever on a cruise and on the Dream) and we talked with some other adults that had just recently sailed with Carnival and told us never again. Also saying that they will only sail DCL in the future.

Also, while we were on-board, the cruise director stated before our first nightly show that the Disney Dream was voted best overall by Cruise Critic dot com.

I will never say never, but I don't mind paying more for better amenities and less risk.

Ralphlaw

Yup, you get what you pay for, and let's all jab way. After all, I would never fly an airline that cancels a goodly percentage of its flights. I won't buy a car that doesn't start 1% of the time. I won't eat at a restaurant that doesn't have the food I want or has painfully bad and slow service a goodly percentage of the time. Why would I float on a cruise ship company that has had pretty significant historical problems, is widely criticized for subpar service, and may cause me to miss my flight home? Not to mention how I really don't like backed up toilets or no electricity.

I imagine it would cost a few extra bucks per passenger to pay for maintenance and/or a serious rehab in drydock and/or the retirement of ships that can't be run anymore. Carnival saves money with slipshod maintenance, with deferred drydocking, and with old ships that most cruise lines would sell off or dump. It's a great way to maximize short term profits, but it's a lousy way long-term to keep passengers happy.

I would also hazard to guess that every time something like this happens, word gets out, and guests are willing to pay a bit less to be on Carnival. After all, if Carnival had the reputation for no power outages, no backed up toilets, and otherwise impeccable service, they could charge more. But they don't, and they can't. Thus, given the twists and turns of supply and demand, their profit margins end up suffering because they have to offer dirt-low prices to get people to ride on a ship that's run by a company with a low reputation for reliability. One problem per decade is forgiven and forgotten, but a string of such problems irreparably damages the brand, and thus the prices that can be charged for that brand.

Yup, I pay more for cruising on Disney, but I doubt that power outages, backed-up toilets, or subpar service will be parts of the onboard adventure. And, yes, that's one reason why I pay more.

EOD K9

I've only ever been on the Magic (1x) and the Dream (4x) with another scheduled for next June. I am curious as to what one of the mega RCI ships is like. But, is it wrong to say that while DCL is expensive, I feel that the price is worth it?

Tom

Beta Return
I understand the jab at Carnival but for their prices I can take 3 carnival cruises for 1 disney cruise. And have more things to do on carnival than disney.

Perfect example of "you get what you pay for".

You may get 3 cruises for the price of 1, but your chance of being stranded in the middle of the ocean is becoming increasingly more likely. I consider that unacceptable enough to avoid any consideration I'd ever have of sailing Carnival.

disney4life2008

Perfect example of "you get what you pay for".

You may get 3 cruises for the price of 1, but your chance of being stranded in the middle of the ocean is becoming increasingly more likely. I consider that unacceptable enough to avoid any consideration I'd ever have of sailing Carnival.

Lol tell that to the millions of loyal carnival fans.

216bruce

And I can get three meals at McD's for the price of one entree at a decent eatery. Yup, Ronald is a popular brand and has 'millions' (actually billions) of loyal fans, but it's still McDonalds. If you're willing to overlook messy dining areas, filthy bathrooms, 'wrong order in the bag' syndrome, 'meh' quality food and grumpy service, then it's cool. I'd rather dine-out less and make it something I remember for all the right reasons. Same with DCL for me.

ChuckElias

Original Poster
Lol tell that to the millions of loyal carnival fans.
I personally don't think that's an "lol" comment. Statistically, your chances of encountering a serious issue at sea seem to be greater with Carnival products. Everybody has minor issues, no question. But the biggies seem to be on Carnival-owned ships.

Your point, however, is unmistakable. For many, many, MANY people, the low cost of a Carnival cruise outweighs the potential (but very real) risk of being stranded at sea without power. To me -- personally, and not speaking about anyone else's preferences -- it's worth it to spend a little more for NCL, RCCL, or DCL.

disney4life2008

I personally don't think that's an "lol" comment. Statistically, your chances of encountering a serious issue at sea seem to be greater with Carnival products. Everybody has minor issues, no question. But the biggies seem to be on Carnival-owned ships.

Your point, however, is unmistakable. For many, many, MANY people, the low cost of a Carnival cruise outweighs the potential (but very real) risk of being stranded at sea without power. To me -- personally, and not speaking about anyone else's preferences -- it's worth it to spend a little more for NCL, RCCL, or DCL.

I am sorry DCL to Carnival is not "a little more." Problems aside, DCL lacks entertainment value whereas Carnival is exciting 24/7.

216bruce

I am sorry DCL to Carnival is not "a little more." Problems aside, DCL lacks entertainment value whereas Carnival is exciting 24/7.
For families and folks who aren't into 24/7 parties...no way. For younger singles and couples, yeah, but it's a somewhat different crowd overall. But both have a multitude of dining options, stage shows, movies, bars, dance clubs, game shows and contests. Maybe it's the more sedate and 'wholesome' crowd that's the difference for you. If that's the case then the difference is on purpose to appeal to the different demographic. To each their own.

Ralphlaw

Yes, the Disney demographic is definitely different.

Short history lesson: For decades, beginning in the late 19th century and continuing through WWII, the big ships were basically for transportation. Rich people sailed on big liners like the Lusitania, Mauritania, Olympic, Queen Mary, Rex, and Normandy to get places, usually from one side of the Atlantic to the other. The westward journeys especially put immigrants in the lower class areas, not far from the bags of mail and other cargo.

Then in the 50s and 60s, the vacation cruise industry took off, full of people making roundtrips to vacation ports, and it was mostly filled with Cunard type old and rich people until the 1970s. That's when the Love Boat and commercials with Kathie Lee Gifford showed how much fun young partiers could have onboard. Carnival was at the forefront of this party demographic having a Vegas time at see. This was where Disney found the industry when the Magic and Wonder were launched, and everything changed yet again.

Of course, the rest of the industry followed a bit, with kids areas, teen leaders, and waterslides. Innovations were copied between different lines, but the basics remain:
1. Cunard still requires evening gowns and tuxes in elegant atmospheres.
2. Carnival (which I believe actually owns Cunard) appeals to the partiers who want to have wild times on the cheap.
3. Disney appeals to kids and young families.
4. Princess does not want the riff raff, and is perfectly happy with grey haired passengers.
5. Norwegian seems to like the "don't bother me I'm on vacation doing my own thing" set.
6. Royal Caribbean is into the thrill set and teens, with climbing walls and ziplines.
7. Holland America still likes its older set, and has the biggest shipboard morgues in the industry.

The trick: Know your demographic, and fill your boats as profitably as possible with them. Disney surely doesn't see the Carnival ships in port and covet their passengers. Disney is perfectly happy filling their ships with people who are willing to pay three times as much for a kid friendly atmosphere where drinks are in moderation, people keep their clothes on, and almost everyone is sound asleep by midnight. Yeah, ziplines might be a nice touch for older kids and adventurous adults, but the Aquaduck, Vibe, Edge, and sportier port adventures will keep everyone happy enough for now. Honestly, as long as Disney has the highest cabin occupancy rate in the industry, and very healthy profit margins, they're absolutely fine with the other lines catering to their respective demographics.

Ralphlaw

I'm curious to know your demographic. My wife and I are 50ish Church goers with a 17 year old who wants to be an Imagineer and a 9 year old who has her own opinions on everything. We love Disney, and really appreciate how all 4 of us can fit in one cabin. We also would not like a ship full of drunken partiers (even though we gladly indulge a few drinks per day on vacation). No, Disney is our choice, and we respect that other people have theirs.

Last edited:

disney4life2008

I'm curious to know your demographic. My wife and I are 50ish Church goers with a 17 year old who wants to be an Imagineer and a 9 year old who has her own opinions on everything. We love Disney, and really appreciate how all 4 of us can fit in one cabin. We also would not like a ship full of drunken partiers (even though we gladly indulge a few drinks per day on vacation). No, Disney is our choice, and we respect that other people have theirs.

I am the carnival demographic: 33, single, and full of fun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom