Trip Report And everything you do...celebrate you! *COMPLETED*

Oh what an adventure this year has been, and the journey only continued as we embarked on our 8th annual Walt Disney World trip together!

This trip report follows in the footsteps of the inspiration for my not-always-sunny pre-trip report: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/its-the-time-of-your-life.928664/

But we can skip that and get to the good stuff. A whirlwind of Disney, both the old and new, was just the thing we needed. A reminder that life is good, despite not always going to plan, and to never stop dreaming as we look to the future.

The cast: J - the husband. And myself. Goofy & Pluto Pook-a-looz babies.

Travel dates: September 2nd - September 10th...but Hurricane Irma changed that a bit. Returning home to All-Star Music.

Let the memories begin!

We arrived within the Disney bubble a little later than we were used to, and with an 11am - 12pm DINOSAUR fastpass that we were itching to get to, we barreled into Animal Kingdom around 11:45 desperate to make it. DINOSAUR is one of my favorite all time rides, and it was down for refurbishment last year, so it's safe to say I was going through a serious DINOdrought.
DSCN0428.JPG

We powerwalked through the lush Oasis, taking in the familiar sights and sounds, maybe beginning to register that we were finally here at Walt Disney World!
DSCN0430.JPG

Labor Day Saturday at Animal Kingdom probably wasn't the best idea. Especially when you see that both Na'vi River Journey and Flight of Passage were temporarily down on the My Disney Experience app, therefore inflating wait times at everything else. But we'd deal with that later. Must...get...to...DINOSAUR.
DSCN0431.JPG

As we turned right and rounded the corner to the Dino Institute, there were CMs lined up in front of the entrance. Not good! We stood there panting and clutching the stitches in our sides as they announced the ride is down with no ETA of coming back up yet.
DSCN0432.JPG

Ugh. Fine. We drowned our sorrows by splitting the Ribs, Chicken, and Pulled Pork Sampler at Flame Tree Barbecue. Food does solve a lot of problems.
DSCN0434.JPG

This baby was definitely large enough to satisfy two starving adults...but it was a messy experience. At one point, J said to me: Um...you have meat in your hair.
DSCN0435.JPG

The view didn't hurt either.
DSCN0436.JPG

We took the time to reset our plans, as DINOSAUR would turn into a recovery FP, and Na'vi was our next one, but apparently down. Ah well, at least we had company! Look who stopped by during lunch:
DSCN0437.JPG

Animal Kingdom is full of natural beauty.
DSCN0439.JPG

And wildlife everywhere you turn.
DSCN0440.JPG

As we cleaned up our colossal mess of a lunch and pulled up the app to see what we could do, J delivered the good news: Na'vi River Journey was back up. Whoopee! It's time to really get this party started.

Last edited:

belledream

Original Poster
Even though Meet & Greets aren't our thing, I am still dying to know what the inside of Royal Sommerhus looks like! One day...
DSCN2623.JPG

I do enjoy this new little area though, but the kid in me wants that Viking ship back!
DSCN2624.JPG

It was a gorgeous day, as most Epcot days are, so we detoured quickly to take obligatory Showcase Lagoon pictures.
DSCN2626.JPG

It's so blue!
DSCN2627.JPG

We ducked back into Norway's Stave Church Gallery to look at all the little artifacts.
DSCN2628.JPG

Followed by a stroll through The Puffin's Roost crying at the thought of winter, but really liking the details in the artsy ceiling.
DSCN2629.JPG

There's always some amazing flowers outside Akershus.
DSCN2631.JPG

As we didn't have a FP for Frozen Ever After at any point during this trip, we knew we wouldn't care enough to wait either. So we said goodbye to Norway and decided to bypass China since we had it covered on our previous Epcot day.
DSCN2632.JPG

I couldn't resist another tour of Germany and its many shops though. Merchandise Finds of the Day:
DSCN2638.JPG

DSCN2642.JPG

Just put a Mickey on it and I'll want it.

belledream

Original Poster
I love Germany. Bay windows, red roofs, and something so stately and elegant, yet homely.
DSCN2643.JPG

We were walking along the Romantic Road again when we spotted a little accident...
DSCN2645.JPG

As we moved to Italy, the sun started to disappear.
DSCN2646.JPG

Replaced by clouds...dun dun dun!
DSCN2647 (2).jpg

Naturally, we found this to be exciting, and spend some time leaning against the railings by the water and watching the clouds roll in.
DSCN2648.JPG

And we seemed to be the only ones. World Showcase was pretty empty at the moment.
DSCN2651.JPG

We stopped by Hops & Barley Market for none other than a New England Lobster Roll. The lobster seemed to be a generous portion, and was fresh and juicy. J, however, cared much more about the garlic toast that the lobster was on much more. Licking his fingers til the very end. It definitely was good, better than the plain roll it used to be served on.
DSCN2652.JPG

We originally sat on a bench by America Gardens Theater planning to eat this, but then Katy Perry's 'Firework' song came on and I insisted that we move because 1) I hate hearing real world music at Disney and 2) I hate that song period. We ended up by the water at Italy again.
DSCN2660.JPG

I know, I'm difficult.
DSCN2661.JPG

When we finished, we decided it was prime time for some sitting, some napping, and avoiding any potential rain. The American Adventure: check, check, check.

belledream

Original Poster
I always forget how much I like this place. Wonder if those silhouettes on the right were done at those carts around the parks?
DSCN2662.JPG

Voices of Liberty was in full swing, so we kept an ear out but when to look through the American Heritage Gallery first before coming back to watch.
DSCN2665.JPG

My second dose of 'I forget how much I like this place' as we head up towards the theater.
DSCN2668.JPG

Just magnificent.
DSCN2669.JPG

We settled into the theater where I'm gonna say it. I fall asleep every single time and have zero regrets. It's much needed rest, and I still woke up in time to catch the marvelous sunrise effects.
DSCN2670.JPG

Both of us felt refreshed as we moved on towards Japan where J heavily hinted that he would enjoy a bowl of ramen at Katsura Grill...his actual-proclaimed '2nd favorite meal' of our Disneymoon two years ago, after Yachtsman Steakhouse, and before the likes of...you know, every other restaurant we dined at that year. So again, he got a Tonkotsu Ramen that we shared as we sat outside in the shade by the waterfall.
DSCN2674.JPG

After that hot and salty soup on a Floridian September day, we headed indoors.
DSCN2680.JPG

Fettuccine...gummies? Purple? Huh? So many questions...
DSCN2682.JPG

These bowls are too adorable to use.
DSCN2684.JPG

Made my mark on the Buddha Board.
DSCN2685.JPG

Mitsukoshi...it's always something!

belledream

Original Poster
No more Chefs de France for us today, sadly. But onto something bigger for sure!
DSCN2692 (2).jpg

We would fully immerse ourselves in the beauty of France for the next hour or so.
DSCN2693.JPG

While waiting for the next Impressions de France show to begin, we chose to spend our time outside, taking in the exquisite French architecture.
DSCN2695.JPG

We did some browsing of the shops, where I fell in love with both this country chic collections and the country chic of the store itself.
DSCN2700.JPG

A little corner of quaint French buildings.
DSCN2703.JPG

DSCN2704.JPG

Very fitting Food & Wine displays.
DSCN2706.JPG

And over to the more stately side.
DSCN2707.JPG

Inside Plume et Palette, I was pining to go up to the second floor.
DSCN2709.JPG

J always coughs rudely in these perfume stores, eliciting evil glares from me, and probably the salespeople.
DSCN2710.JPG

Gah, everything to too pretty here!

belledream

Original Poster
Admiration for the beauty of the French garden.
DSCN2712.JPG
DSCN2713.JPG

And then it was finally time for us to sit down for a showing of Impressions de France in the palatial Palais du Cindema.
DSCN2708.JPG

The bay window displays inside are just so charming! The level of thought and detail put into this really astounds me.
DSCN2715.JPG

Inside the theater, we settled into the comfy seats. J was determined to stay awake for the whole show...something that has never happened before. I am proud to say, he did just that! How could he not? This show is so breathtaking. Sweeping views of magnificent palaces and rolling countrysides...I'm in love with the music, and I will visit one day!
DSCN2716.JPG

They know what they're doing by making the theater exit into Les Halles, for sure.
DSCN2717.JPG

We ended up leaving with a Chocolat Tarte. Light and fluffy, but that chocolate craving we just needed to have.
DSCN2719.JPG

This sparkling fountain just fills me with life. It's rejuvenating to see and listen to!
DSCN2721.JPG

Au revoir, France!
DSCN2722.JPG

You are really a great place to be.
DSCN2724.JPG

I can't wait to see what's in store for the future!

belledream

Original Poster
That one hour of the day where the Epcot sky is so blue and the water moves so beautifully with the wind that you can't help but stop and stare.
DSCN2727.JPG

For a long time.
DSCN2728.JPG

We couldn't ask for anything more than to just be here, at this time, under these circumstances.
DSCN2731.JPG

We quickly wanted to finish our tour of World Showcase because we had places to be, so we finally moved on to United Kingdom where I laughed when I saw these because...well it's a story alright. My brother is obsessed with tea and had sent me a link to a Twinings content a few years ago where the Grand Prize was a Disney trip, and the second was free tea for a year or whatever, and the third was a Twinings tumbler and Cold Brewed iced tea. He told me if I won the Disney trip, fine, but I owed him the tea. Well, we actually won something...third prize...and I gave this to him.
DSCN2732.JPG

These enticed me for some reason. Must be the pretty packaging.
DSCN2733.JPG

We thought the little pig was cute.
DSCN2739.JPG

Last but not least, we headed to Canada...where we...skipped O Canada! I know you're a lifetime of wonder but I just don't have time to for this today. Sorry.
DSCN2741.JPG

I won't pass these sights up though.
DSCN2747.JPG

That water...is so blue...or green...or clear...it's magical!
DSCN2752.JPG

See? I like seeing things with my own eyes.
DSCN2755.JPG

I made J check out the menu for Le Cellier, in case he wanted to change his mind about dinner tonight. But he stood firm in Yachtsman. So that settled it. We were going back to my home! I was ecstatic as we went on our way.

belledream

Original Poster
The Friendship Boat was waiting at International Gateway, but let's walk, I said. Because then I can hear nothing but the sounds of our footsteps as we walk towards my favorite place in the entire world. (Well, one of them anyway.)
DSCN2758.JPG

The first item on my wishlist was to sit on a swinging bench and feel the sand beneath my feet as we gaze across Crescent Lake on this bright and sunny day.
DSCN2759.JPG

Check.
DSCN2762.JPG

The most gorgeous trash cans you ever did see. It sounds so silly, but these truly make my experience here and are never overlooked.
DSCN2764.JPG

I think my heart was exploding with happiness at having this entire place to ourselves. The silence was golden.
DSCN2765.JPG

And when we turned the corner to walk towards the main building and lobby, my heart started to beat faster with anticipation. I knew there was no way that I would be underwhelmed after all these years.
DSCN2767.JPG

This is pretty much as close as it gets to perfection in my eyes. Literally everything I have ever wanted. And we have pictures of my little brother and I all over this place. The nostalgia is THERE!
DSCN2768.JPG

Upon walking in, I smelled that sweet smell of the lobby, basked in the natural and warm lighting, and began fawning over the chandelier, floral arrangements, carpeting, and various seating.
DSCN2771.JPG

The Disney touch...it makes me smile.
DSCN2772.JPG

I remember watching this chandelier being built. It's crazy to think how long ago that was...
DSCN2773.JPG

I had plentiful time to observe my surroundings, because, of course, J was in the bathroom.

belledream

Original Poster
The tour of my home continues...
DSCN2774.JPG

I love these stairs. They're plain, but they remind me of some good memories.
DSCN2776.JPG

Every love something so much it makes you want to cry for no apparent reason? Yup. This + me.
DSCN2777.JPG

The detail is in the lighting!
DSCN2778.JPG

The fastest elevators ever.
DSCN2779.JPG

DCL giving me the itch to return...
DSCN2780.JPG

And back to the lobby for one more glance before we set off. I cannot wait to return here with a family of our own. To check in at the front desk, to head out those doors to Stormalong Bay, and to treat a resort like a day at the parks. It's totally doable here!
DSCN2781.JPG

We stepped outside for some pretty views of the DVC building.
DSCN2786.JPG

And made our way towards another happy place of mine...
DSCN2789.JPG

The Solarium.
DSCN2805.JPG

Comfy, airy, beachy mismatched perfection. All right before my eyes and in my grasp, begging to be mine. I'm yours.

belledream

Original Poster
Here's my weird collection of things that caught my eye in the Solarium. Ornate mirrors...
DSCN2799.JPG

Modest loveseats...
DSCN2806.JPG

I AM HERE paintings!
DSCN2808.JPG

And we slowly but surely started to make our way towards Yacht Club for equal admiration...but first, these hallways. The colors of my life!
DSCN2809.JPG

Some lovely orchids adding to the décor.
DSCN2810.JPG

A sandcastle fit for Disney's Beach Club.
DSCN2811.JPG

Cape May umbrellas that bring back so many colorful memories of some great dining experiences growing up.
DSCN2812.JPG

The sounds of Stormalong Bay welcomed us as we journeyed outside.
DSCN2813.JPG

The cute tables outside Beaches & Cream.
DSCN2814.JPG

This particular spot...much fun was had here. I miss it.
DSCN2815.JPG

I will return!

belledream

Original Poster
Enter Yacht Club. Vaguely familiar, but distinctly different than its counterpart, Beach Club.
DSCN2816.JPG

The carpets, lighting, and windows bringing me back with every step I take.
DSCN2818.JPG

Upon entering the lobby, seeing something as odd and probably obscure as the CM's uniforms at the front desk made me feel butterflies.
DSCN2820.JPG

Dark, regal, and rich woods, patterns, and detailing all around.
DSCN2821.JPG

It hurts me to think about which resort I like more! I guess that's why I tend to group it as one. It's just easier on my heart that way.
DSCN2823.JPG

Nautical touches at every turn.
DSCN2824.JPG

Those stairs, porthole windows, elaborate carpet...I'm on a ship. I feel it. Successfully transported.
DSCN2825.JPG

Yacht Club gives off a more regal, refined vibe. And I am here for it!
DSCN2829.JPG

We sat on that leather couch and relaxed, looking up and around at our surroundings, especially the display cases with the ship models in them.
DSCN2834.JPG

Of course, I'd want to make a trip upstairs. I'm not missing a single thing about this place.
DSCN2835.JPG

I mean, it's a work of art.

belledream

Original Poster
Feelin' like the captain of this ship up here. I just love how you can see every facet of the lobby as one from up. A great vantage point.
DSCN2838.JPG

Home office goals. There are some cool artifacts on display here!
DSCN2840.JPG

And down the pristine hallways we go.You can bet I love those window benches!
DSCN2841.JPG

We walked through the new Market at Ale & Compass, on our way to Fittings & Fairings...
DSCN2842.JPG

...where I was thrilled to see Yacht Club merchandise...
DSCN2843.JPG

...but horrified to see how the shop refurbishment turned out. It's so sterile, gray, and bland! What happened to my pinstripe walls., nautical carpets, and Sailor Mickey navigating those awesome waves? Devastated.
DSCN2847.JPG

For some unknown reason, I compelled myself to take pictures of Disney shampoos to ease the pain.
DSCN2844.JPG
DSCN2845.JPG

Absolutely adore this painting. It really incorporates everything I love about this area.
DSCN2846.JPG

Scarred though I was, I felt immensely better as we walked outside to see Yacht Club's exterior for the first time. A sight that tugs at my heartstrings.
DSCN2849.JPG

The clouds were definitely moving in...that sounds like our cue to hunker down in the warm confines of Yachtsman Steakhouse!

belledream

Original Poster
As previously mentioned, we dined at Yachtsman Steakhouse two years ago on our Disneymoon, where J had the best steak he's ever had (and by now you know he's had a lot of them!) So we had very high expectations for our spontaneous return.
DSCN2853.JPG

We arrived with a good amount of time to ogle at the Aging Room...it is something out of J's dreams.
DSCN2854.JPG

A look at all the different types of cuts we could be eating tonight.
DSCN2855.JPG

We were seated exactly where we had hoped to be seated.
DSCN2856.JPG

In the beautiful, airy, circular room filled with all things portholes and bay windows. Like everything I love about the lobby.
DSCN2866.JPG

At the table with the front and center view of Stormalong Bay. (Yup, as we suspected, the incoming clouds had the lifeguards shepherding everyone out of the pool).
DSCN2872.JPG

But inside was dry and bright.
DSCN2857.JPG

The atmosphere is classic. Nothing is jaw-dropping or flashy, just understated elegance.
DSCN2860.JPG

And you know that just goes to show how serious they are about their food.
DSCN2861.JPG

Like the drool-worthy Pull Apart Onion Rolls, complete with Salted Butter and Roasted Garlic.
DSCN2871.JPG

Seriously good stuff. A real, savory treat to start off the meal.

belledream

Original Poster
Choosing our entrees was a tale of two cities. J declared he would get the 18-oz Kansas City Strip Steak, same as last year, and pretty much refused to even consider anything else. Ok, well he did eye that 5-oz Wagyu Strip Loin but couldn't bring himself to do it. 2 dining credits + $76? I tried to convince him that these opportunities are few and far in between, and that if he felt that strongly about it, I would support him in getting it. But he stood firm in his choice. And with that, this monstrosity came to the table. At first, he thought it was a little bit over cooked (because boy basically wants rare) but he found it was just toward the edges. It got more and more juicy as he reached the middle. The flavor was 'very beefy' and that was prominent as the chimichurri sauce was more of a lighter and refreshing as opposed to a more overpowering garlic flavor. Yet he claimed that his first steak was better, and thinks it might be because of a general bias of garlic butter over chimichurri. Anyways, I had advised him to not do a repeat and to try something new...I'll say I told you so. Always listen to your wife!
DSCN2877.JPG
I, on the other hand, thought about branching out from steak even though I have this 'must order steak in steakhouse' mentality ingrained in me. I thought the 1.5 lb Live Maine Lobster sounded really enticing as I rarely get to eat lobster, and it comes with risotto which evokes some darn tasty memories in me. J was no help. "Get the lobster if you want," he says. I ask him if I get a steak, which one should I get and he suggested the 16-oz Prime Rib-Eye Steak, saying rib-eye is his favorite cut and it comes with bone marrow which "I've never had before and always wanted to try." Welp, feels like my choice was made for me then, J! Just kidding, but I gave him a super hard time about it all during the meal and days afterwards saying, "I wish I got the lobster." I just love watching his eyes bulge out of their sockets and scream, "I TOLD YOU TO GET WHAT YOU WANTED." My steak was mouthwatering. I chose Garlic Butter instead of the Blue Cheese Butter it's supposed to come with and that was the right choice to make. I think J was jealous as we swapped plates more than once. The bone marrow was...interesting. It was packed with flavor, but as I scraped my way through it, I actually got occasional chills from eating it...is that normal?
DSCN2876.JPG

Anyways, as we critiqued and shared and dined, we also people watched. At one point, there were two people sitting on the rocking chairs in front of us having a chat with a lifeguard who I suppose could only wait around for the weather to cooperate. We bet our dinner that they were talking about the impending hurricane and really wanted to get the scoop!
DSCN2880.JPG

DSCN2881.JPG
Since he's already broken the rules, J also repeated his dessert with the Chocolate-Peanut Cake. This was actually an improvement on the previous version, although I think it looks exactly the same. Not as sticky as last time, but still decadent and sweet, with a good mix of the two flavors.
DSCN2884.JPG

I need something light after downing those steaks. I was also unprepared, as I like to do extensive, thorough research of food pics to decide what I'm going to eat and where, more than 180 days in advance. So you can bet I brought out the cell phone to do some quick Googling. I oohed when I saw the pop of pink in The Yachtsman Sundae and thought to myself, I could definitely go for some strawberry gelato!
DSCN2883.JPG

After more than two hours of dining, we were finally ready to go. We sure ended with a bang! And though that would be the end of our dining escapades , we were not even close to the end of the fun.
DSCN2890.JPG

Time for an evening stroll around Crescent Lake! Thanks to the rain for making the ground sparkle while we were away.
DSCN2891.JPG

Such a beauty. I felt so grateful that the time we spent here was much more than I first imagined.
DSCN2892.JPG

There's just no place like home.
DSCN2894.JPG

Hand in hand, we took one last look before we began our next adventure.

belledream

Original Poster
A glimpse of hurricane preparation as we began our walk:
DSCN2897.JPG

But there was nothing to worry about now...our evening has begun!
DSCN2898.JPG

Seeing this hilly bridge is always a comforting sight.
DSCN2899.JPG

And I always enjoy this view of Yacht & Beach Club, with Spaceship Earth peeking from behind.
DSCN2901.JPG

Hello, Boardwalk! We meet again.
DSCN2902.JPG

This is a great sight for any evening, but even more so today. It gave us a sense of peace knowing we could just meander along together, our only task being to enjoy what we had left.
DSCN2903.JPG

Oh also, the sky looked like it was gearing up for something special.
DSCN2906.JPG

I love the mismatched/hodgepodge look of all of Boardwalk's buildings, but this one is always my favorite.
DSCN2912.JPG

The red and yellows of the flagship building really strike a perfect chord.
DSCN2913.JPG

A quick peek inside Thimbles & Threads? Sure! Why not?

belledream

Original Poster
Thought Mickey and Minnie looked extra cute together on this t-shirt:
DSCN2914.JPG

I also really dug this mug. The pattern and the shape of the mug itself.
DSCN2915.JPG

We planned to keep our 1 QS credit left and perhaps order a pizza at All Star Music when we returned tonight to potentially munch on the following morning at the airport (yum, I know), but we still had a good number of snack credits left and absolutely no room in our stomachs to use them (most unfortunate!) So we decided to bring the magic home with us, with a few of Goofy's Candy Co.'s produce. J loves his candy and we have to support baby Goofy's business, so we left with two bags.
DSCN2916.JPG

Back outside, the sky was deepening and I was ready for it!
DSCN2917.JPG

And glance across Crescent Lake elicited some genuine oohs and ahhs.
DSCN2918.JPG

While we still had time to spare, we decided to go pay a quick visit to Boardwalk Inn.
DSCN2919.JPG

With its magnificent chandelier.
DSCN2920.JPG

And glistening lobby.
DSCN2921.JPG

J spent some time playing with the picture-flipping-machine-thing before we quickly headed back outside because...well, just look at this.
DSCN2925.JPG

Showcase Lagoon sunsets are beautiful, but this just took my breath away.
DSCN2926.JPG

It was one of those moments we just couldn't believe we were lucky enough to be standing here.

belledream

Original Poster
It just kept getting better and better. I tried to zoom in to capture all the different layers of colors, which we kept pointing out to each other.
DSCN2927.JPG

What a fantastic evening. The views of the sunset were so close, open, and unobstructed for us.
DSCN2931.JPG

And as a bonus, it seemed to take forever. Frozen in time...
DSCN2932.JPG

We decided to walk back to Epcot instead of taking the boat. Why would we miss a second of opportunity of this?
DSCN2934.JPG

It was like the sunset was seeing us off.
DSCN2936.JPG

As we finished our grand circle tour, we stopped to drink it in one last time. A seemingly random choice, but this was by far the hardest goodbye of the trip.
DSCN2937.JPG

Before we knew it, we were gazing at another view. Welcome back to World Showcase, just waiting to come alive.
DSCN2940.JPG

We had no destination in mind, and with two hours before Illuminations began at 10, wecouldn't believe our luck when we checked MDE just because and saw a Frozen Ever After FP sitting there. I guess we were going on Frozen after all! So we headed on over to Norway...
DSCN2941.JPG

...just in time to catch this amazing view.
DSCN2942.JPG

Epcot really does have the best sunsets. What a beautiful night!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom