Anaheim GardenWalk For Sale

mickEblu

Original Poster
According to the Micechat update today, the GardenWalk is for sale. Is there any way Disney doesn’t jump on this opportunity? Maybe a third gate isn’t so far fetched after all?

tikiphil

According to sales information online, the following parcels are for sale:
082-551-04
082-551-05
082-551-11
These three parcels make up the area in red. The areas in blue are what Disney currently owns.

disneyland1.jpg

D

Deleted member 107043

According to sales information online, the following parcels are for sale:
082-551-04
082-551-05
082-551-11
These three parcels make up the area in red. The areas in blue are what Disney currently owns.

View attachment 256927

So then it's literally just the mall and not the adjoining hotel lots or the parking garage that are part of the original AGW development?

Darkbeer1

No, it is showing the "retail" space. The Parking Structure and Time Share (To be built on top of the structure), and the two Hotel Lots are the others. (The city owns the Fire Station land in between the two Hotel Lots, which they got as part of the approval process).

TROR

If Disney is smart they'll purchase it this go around. Once they get that parking structure and eastern gateway built up, the benefits of having this strip of land will only increase as a connection to a third park.

tikiphil

No, it is showing the "retail" space. The Parking Structure and Time Share (To be built on top of the structure), and the two Hotel Lots are the others. (The city owns the Fire Station land in between the two Hotel Lots, which they got as part of the approval process).

According to this site:

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/321-W-Katella-Ave-Anaheim-CA/9963269/

Parcels 082-551-04, 082-551-05, and 082-551-11 are for sale.

According to this site:

http://data-anaheim.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/assessed-parcels

The parking structure is 082-551-06, the fire station is 082-551-12, the hotel lot north of the station is 082-551-01 and the hotel lot south of the station is 082-551-02 and 082-551-03. Unless the online listing is inaccurate, only the retail space is for sale.

DanielBB8

That article doesn’t really discuss how it wouldn’t work. It won’t work because the land is already developed. There’s no transportation to get anyone from the various locations within Disneyland Resort to the third park especially through AGW. There’s a lot of people to move. The AGW parking lot is small and useless to park enough people to the third park. DCA hasn’t fully built out it’s capacity. The Eastern Gateway is logically the better choice as a third park although a small park. Just build a pedestrian bridge. Disney will again conclude there should be no third park. There’s just no way to make it work.

TROR

Adding a monorail to connect the main esplanade to a third gate is a rather simple and effective fix for your transportation problem. Shuttles, as well. The installation of a People Mover from where the Eastern Gateway parking lot to the third gate would be far more of a problem but still very much possible.

DanielBB8

Adding a monorail to connect the main esplanade to a third gate is a rather simple and effective fix for your transportation problem. Shuttles, as well. The installation of a People Mover from where the Eastern Gateway parking lot to the third gate would be far more of a problem but still very much possible.
Hardly simple since it requires the easements from Anaheim to cross the public roads. Disney ran into roadblocks from trying to get a simple bridge over Harbor Blvd. It would take a lot of planning and designs to cross the city streets and along Harbor Blvd. It has to find a route along Disney’s properties and any it doesn’t own. AGW is already developed. There’s no route through it for the monorail or people mover. The remaining solution is many shuttles through city streets for tens of thousands of guests. This will prove impossible.

D

Deleted member 107043

That article doesn’t really discuss how it wouldn’t work. It won’t work because the land is already developed. There’s no transportation to get anyone from the various locations within Disneyland Resort to the third park especially through AGW. There’s a lot of people to move. The AGW parking lot is small and useless to park enough people to the third park. DCA hasn’t fully built out it’s capacity. The Eastern Gateway is logically the better choice as a third park although a small park. Just build a pedestrian bridge. Disney will again conclude there should be no third park. There’s just no way to make it work.

As others have said Disney could either repurpose the mall as an eastern version of the Downtown Disney “marketplace” or level it and create a customized pedestrian lane to the third park. Presumably any plans for a third theme park would have to rely heavily on pedestrian access to the current parks via the Eastern Gateway and it’s proposed parking garage. I certainly won’t be holding my breath waiting for Disney to announce that kind investment in Anaheim, but I’m willing to play along for fun since speculating is what we do here.

DanielBB8

As others have said Disney could either repurpose the mall as an eastern version of the Downtown Disney “marketplace” or level it and create a customized pedestrian lane to the third park. Presumably any plans for a third theme park would have to rely heavily on pedestrian access to the current parks via the Eastern Gateway and it’s proposed parking garage. I certainly won’t be holding my breath waiting for Disney to announce that kind investment in Anaheim, but I’m willing to play along for fun since speculating is what we do here.
Considering I already said the parking garage is too small to serve the theme park, this won’t work. The mall should be demolished and started over again, but Darkbeer already said the hotel leases must be played out so Disney could find itself with a white elephant for decades. And if the hotels are built, Disney cannot demolish ever. The opportunity to make it work is in the past.

A pedestrian path will work, but consider alternative approaches. The Eastern Gateway can be repurposed as another mini-theme park. The south Downtown Disney parking lot can be an extension of Paradise Pier. All these are walking distance.

D

Deleted member 107043

Considering I already said the parking garage is too small to serve the theme park, this won’t work.

Theoretically it could work because what I outlined relies in the Eastern Gateway garage not the one at AGW. Or did I misread what you said?

In any case it hardly matters because there won’t be a third theme park in Anaheim anyway. ;) I’d be shocked if Disney made an offer to buy AGW.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Last week the The Disney Blog posted a story speculating on what we've been discussing here - how Disney would benefit from purchasing AGW to connect the current theme parks, hotels, and retail to a third park on the existing Disney parking lot bordering Katella. No big news or revelations, but still relevant.

http://thedisneyblog.com/2018/01/18/roadmap-third-gate-disneyland-needs-gardenwalk/

There is one thing that I took away from that article that I think it more interesting and relevant to the DLR. Disney is making inquires into purchasing Harbor businesses. While I'm sure this is not new, its more interesting considering the recent issues with the Eastern Gateway. If Disney can buy up enough of the Harbor businesses then the Eastern Gateway will have little resistance. And with little resistance and the right City Council projects will move forward again.

DanielBB8

The bigger issue is how to get guests from Mickey and Friends parking structure to the third park. This lot will be expanded by 6,300 spaces to a total of 16,000+ spaces.

D

Deleted member 107043

The bigger issue is how to get guests from Mickey and Friends parking structure to the third park. This lot will be expanded by 6,300 spaces to a total of 16,000+ spaces.

Presumably anyone parking on the western edge of the property would not be going to any future development on Katella. I would assume those guests would be directed to park at the Eastern Gateway garage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom