An Unintended Split Stay: How "Royal" Is a King Suite, Really?

Weather_Lady

Original Poster
So, APH rates came out for our dates (4/28-5/1 at Royal Pacific Resort), but the room category we'd reserved (standard) only had APH rates for the first two nights for upgraded "water view" rooms and higher, and for the third night, APH rates were only offered for "King suites" and higher.

To make a long story short, in order to take advantage of the APH rates and save a little money over the cost of our initial booking, I had to split our reservation into two: (1) two nights in a standard waterview 2-queen room at the APH rate; and (2) our third night in a King Suite at the APH rate (which ends up costing no more than a non-discounted standard room for that night, at current rates, which have risen since I first booked months ago). Although it would have been simpler to book all three nights in a King Suite, we'd be paying $180 more to do it, and part of our goal in purchasing APs was to reduce the cost of our trip (which this "split" stay will), not spend more...

Has anyone else ever done something like this? The truth is, I'd really rather stay in the same room all three nights, so I'm tempted to ask at check-in if it's possible to keep our waterview 2-queen room for all three nights instead of moving to the King Suite, assuming they have sufficient availability to do that.

However, we've never visited Universal before, let alone stayed at RPR, so I don't know if I'm giving up a great experience by offering to sacrifice the third night in the King Suite, just to avoid changing rooms (not a huge hassle - we pack super-light - but a hassle nonetheless). I've seen the photos, and a King Suite is essentially a regular room with a king-sized bed instead of 2 queens, and a living area added on (meaning my kids -- or at least, one of them -- whoever was last to try and worm their way into our King bed, LOL -- would have to sleep on a fold-out in that area). Are the fold-outs comfortable enough, and the space "kingly" enough, that we'd be fools not to take advantage of a third night there? Do I dare even ask at check-in if, instead of putting us in the waterview standard room for all three nights, they'd be willing to upgrade us gratis and put us in a King Suite all three nights? (I joined Loews YouFirst, but I'm not entitled to free upgrades yet, and candidly I don't know if I possess the kind of chutpah necessary to make such an inquiry.) Or is a King Suite not such a big "upgrade" after all, such that asking for 3 nights in a standard room really is the better choice?

I'm sure we'll have a great time either way, and I wouldn't even bother worrying about it except that I'm on my lunch break and this sort of obsessive nonsense is what happens when my mind is at rest, but I'd love your thoughts.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

So, APH rates came out for our dates (4/28-5/1 at Royal Pacific Resort), but the room category we'd reserved (standard) only had APH rates for the first two nights for upgraded "water view" rooms and higher, and for the third night, APH rates were only offered for "King suites" and higher.

To make a long story short, in order to take advantage of the APH rates and save a little money over the cost of our initial booking, I had to split our reservation into two: (1) two nights in a standard waterview 2-queen room at the APH rate; and (2) our third night in a King Suite at the APH rate (which ends up costing no more than a non-discounted standard room for that night, at current rates, which have risen since I first booked months ago). Although it would have been simpler to book all three nights in a King Suite, we'd be paying $180 more to do it, and part of our goal in purchasing APs was to reduce the cost of our trip (which this "split" stay will), not spend more...

Has anyone else ever done something like this? The truth is, I'd really rather stay in the same room all three nights, so I'm tempted to ask at check-in if it's possible to keep our waterview 2-queen room for all three nights instead of moving to the King Suite, assuming they have sufficient availability to do that.

However, we've never visited Universal before, let alone stayed at RPR, so I don't know if I'm giving up a great experience by offering to sacrifice the third night in the King Suite, just to avoid changing rooms (not a huge hassle - we pack super-light - but a hassle nonetheless). I've seen the photos, and a King Suite is essentially a regular room with a king-sized bed instead of 2 queens, and a living area added on (meaning my kids -- or at least, one of them -- whoever was last to try and worm their way into our King bed, LOL -- would have to sleep on a fold-out in that area). Are the fold-outs comfortable enough, and the space "kingly" enough, that we'd be fools not to take advantage of a third night there? Do I dare even ask at check-in if, instead of putting us in the waterview standard room for all three nights, they'd be willing to upgrade us gratis and put us in a King Suite all three nights? (I joined Loews YouFirst, but I'm not entitled to free upgrades yet, and candidly I don't know if I possess the kind of chutpah necessary to make such an inquiry.) Or is a King Suite not such a big "upgrade" after all, such that asking for 3 nights in a standard room really is the better choice?

I'm sure we'll have a great time either way, and I wouldn't even bother worrying about it except that I'm on my lunch break and this sort of obsessive nonsense is what happens when my mind is at rest, but I'd love your thoughts.
Have you seen the floorplans?
https://www.universalorlando.com/we...-pacific-resort/guest-suites.html#king-suites
https://orlandoinformer.com/universal/loews-royal-pacific-resort-rooms/
http://stayinguniversal.com/resorts/royal-pacific-resort/rpr-room-descriptions/

Maybe you can ask at check in if they can get you in the same room for all the nights. Might be the king room?

Weather_Lady

Original Poster

I have, but thank you for the links - I'll bookmark them just in case. I do plan to ask at check-in if we can be in the same room for all three nights. We're following up our 3 nights at Universal with a 5-night split stay at WDW, so we'll already be packing/unpacking three times in 8 nights. I'd rather not make it four times if I can help it!

JoeCamel

I have, but thank you for the links - I'll bookmark them just in case. I do plan to ask at check-in if we can be in the same room for all three nights. We're following up our 3 nights at Universal with a 5-night split stay at WDW, so we'll already be packing/unpacking three times in 8 nights. I'd rather not make it four times if I can help it!
Well don't tell RPR that! " 5-night split stay at WDW, so we'll already be packing/unpacking three times in 8 nights. I'd rather not make it four times if I can help it!" :joyfull:

danpam1024

We always stay in a King Suite when staying at RP. "King" refers to the size of the bed. It's nice. Separate bedroom and a pull out sofa. Bathroom isn't much bigger than a standard, if at all. Nicer than my first apartment.

Weather_Lady

Original Poster
We always stay in a King Suite when staying at RP. "King" refers to the size of the bed. It's nice. Separate bedroom and a pull out sofa. Bathroom isn't much bigger than a standard, if at all. Nicer than my first apartment.

Thanks, @danpam1024 - Just wondering: have you ever tried the pull out sofa? I'm wondering how comfortable it will be for the kids (9 and 11, but they're tall -- more the size of the average 12 and 14-year-old).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom