Trip Report An Orlando Move and some Disney Fun!

Hi all!
I'm just back from another crazy great family adventure!!
This time the trip wasn't just for fun but to help my son Seth move to Orlando!
Yep, he and his partner decided they had enough of New York and chose to move almost as far south as possible.
Jake was a Special Effects Artist but decided to answer the call from Disney and got a job in the College Program that he hopes will swing to a permanent position. Seth works as a Game Development Artist and as he works remotely, was ready and able to get out of Dodge, I mean NY!

The travelers include me and Seth. (Gary wasn't up for the trip).
Oh, and I almost forgot, Satan the Cat, otherwise actually known as Athens.
Tell me he doesn't look like a Satan.
IMG_4401.JPG

This cat and his antics during the move increased our stress from probably a 5 to an 8.5. :cautious:

I left Pittsburgh May 17th to drive a Budget Cargo Van to Brooklyn.
IMG_4320.JPG

To me the most obvious question would be, "why are you driving a big honkin van an extra 400 miles?" Well that's because no one in NY would promise me this size of a van. I was told it could be bigger, and that's a big ole hell no. So off I went.

The first part of this trip report is the crazy of the move and you are welcome to scroll past to "skip to the good part". But, if you want to get a few laughs hang around during the first part. It was so much fun I would like to do it again next week!

And before I end this post I would like to thank @cgersic and @Zipadeelady for all of their Orlando move advice, and @Darstarr for her multiple offers of help on the NY end. (I couldn't take her up on them because she would have seen in person not just via txt what a hot mess my life is)! @Tuvalu and @riverside offered moral support and some helpful travel hints during the trip!

Last edited:

Songbird76

MAY 17th-Got very boring (to quote a favorite seagull.)

Before the boring, I forgot to mention that this trip, at least to me, was fairly complicated and so I broke it down into phases. Helped me to check stuff off as we went along.
Phase 1 and super important was getting the van size we needed and I hoped I could drive. DONE! Love Jim at the little run down gas station where I rented it, he was a God! Explained everything to me about the van, what to do and not do. So nice.

Phase 2 was the leg from Pittsburgh to NJ.
I headed out of the driveway around 1 pm with my super duper new phone holder that was supposed to stick to the console so I could see my gps on the phone, because heaven forbid this giant chunk of rattling metal would have any advanced navigation system.
Got to the end of the driveway and it flipped upside down. Seriously.
Gary who was getting a chuckle out of this suggested I stop on the turnpike somewhere and see if one of the plaza stores had a holder of some type.
And they actually did! Literally saved my life (not really, just my nerves), as it attached with some kind of magic rubber to the vent and you put a magnet in your phone case and viola, it stayed all 1600 miles! Bloody miracle at $15.
View attachment 719210

I drove and drove and drove. And I forgot to mention that my van of dubious quality rattled the entire time like a rock rolling around in a can. Before I pulled out of the driveway I drove around in our little town to make sure I could drive this and we noticed the door between the front and the cargo area wouldn't stay latched. Gary tied it with a rope but that didn't help at all. And there was apparently a mouse in the van because there was this lovely high pitched squeak about 60% of the drive to NY.
Oh and yeah, I'm usually someone who doesn't like the radio but as I was bored I decided to see if I could find some oldies, but nope, the radio didn't work.:cautious:

Maybe 6 hours into the trip I realized where I was and did an illegal thing and took this picture for Gary. This is where he was the YMCA director all of the years I was in med school in Philadelphia. Blast from the past! Aleisha, my daughter, was born in Philly before we moved back to western PA. Hard to believe that was 35 years ago!
View attachment 719211

I was so proud of myself, I made it to my hotel before night fall and even backed this sucker into a parking spot! Oh yeah, did I mention it makes one of those beeping back up noises? EVERYONE staring at me just waiting for me to back into one of their nice cars.
Proof of parking the beast and pic of my very nice hotel in Berkeley Hts, NJ.

When we moved Seth to Brooklyn last year we slept in a hotel that seriously had a rat in the parking lot the size of a medium dog. So my plan was to stay about an hour and a half outside of Brooklyn at what would hopefully be a nicer place. And bonus was I didn't realize I had enough Hilton points and that it was enough to pay for the whole nights stay!
View attachment 719212

View attachment 719213

Nice place if anyone needs lodging in that area.
View attachment 719214

View attachment 719215

View attachment 719216

View attachment 719217

I hit the hay pretty early as I had SIRI set an alarm for a 5 am wakeup. The plan was to be on the road to Brooklyn by 5:15am for a 7 am meet up at Seth's apartment with the guys I hired to carry his stuff down 3 flights of stairs.
This was because, you know, no elevator and I also forgot to mention that a few months ago my hip finally gave up the ghost and 3 stories of carrying crap stuff, wasn't going to happen.
Supposedly it was an hour and a half to Brooklyn.

Phase 2-make it to NJ, and check into a non gross hotel, complete!
You are superwoman. I would not be able to drive that sucker! And to back it into a parking spot? No way.

Spash007

OMG you have got to be kidding me - you stopped at Berkeley heights?? I’m guessing it is the Embassy Suites?

I live in the town next door! My daughter’s elementary school fundraiser was in that hotel! It really is very nice (and is literally one of 2 hotels in the area).

It is such a small town and small area that is the craziest coincidence! But yes, the coffee shops are up in the center of town which is off the main road (and is on old, smaller streets so you would NOT want to take a van up there)

Oh man, I wish I would’ve known and I could’ve offered you some home made TLC or coffee! I’m guessing you took 78, and I am literally 3 minutes off it, the exit after the one you would have taken for that hotel.
Animated GIF

Last edited:

lindawdw

You are one brave person driving a big cargo van into Brooklyn and then to Florida! My daughter lives in Brooklyn and I won't ever drive there by myself because the roads and drivers are just too crazy getting into the Holland Tunnel!

MickeyCB

Original Poster
OMG you have got to be kidding me - you stopped at Berkeley heights?? I’m guessing it is the Embassy Suites?

I live in the town next door! My daughter’s elementary school fundraiser was in that hotel! It really is very nice (and is literally one of 2 hotels in the area).

It is such a small town and small area that is the craziest coincidence! But yes, the coffee shops are up in the center of town which is off the main road (and is on old, smaller streets so you would NOT want to take a van up there)

Oh man, I wish I would’ve known and I could’ve offered you some home made TLC or coffee! I’m guessing you took 78, and I am literally 3 minutes off it, the exit after the one you would have taken for that hotel.
Animated GIF
Yes it was Embassy Suites. It was very nice and was an interesting drive to get to it through a very nice residential area.
As I was leaving in the morning I actually questioned the gps because of that area.
It is a very small world indeed!

MickeyCB

Original Poster
You are one brave person driving a big cargo van into Brooklyn and then to Florida! My daughter lives in Brooklyn and I won't ever drive there by myself because the roads and drivers are just too crazy getting into the Holland Tunnel!
I think it was neat for my son to live in NY at a young age and get it out of his system. I told him even though he didn't have the best experience if he hadn't he would wonder all of his life if he should have tried it.
I hit the Holland Tunnel at 6 am and I think that is why I wasn't too wigged out. I saw all of the gouges in the sides of the walls of the tunnels!
And glad you're here!

MickeyCB

Original Poster
MAY 18th - Phase 5 continues, onto NC!

We left off with finally getting to a rest stop outside of NY, some food, gas and a potty break.
Because we didn't know if this van is considered a truck Seth put us on the truck only lanes on the Jersey turnpike which was challenging but doable.
I think I missed another weigh station for the same reason, late notice that it was coming up, That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Even though we got an earlier start, somehow we didn't seem to be making good time. I knew the DC 495/95 mess was to come and I really wanted to be through there before late afternoon/rush hour.
During the entire trip in multiple areas there were constant slow downs. Between high volumes of traffic and tons of lengthy construction areas.
traffic GIF by MFD

I called my sister who lives in VA and she was hilariously on 95 running some errands and I apologized but I told her there was no way we could meet up because we had so far to drive yet.
We chatted on and off for several hours as she gave me travel advice. She told me if there was anyway to not stop till we were past DC and closer to Fredericksburg we would be better off. We took her advice and when she got home she called me with the exit she recommended. She said it had a ton of food and gas places right off of the highway.

I have an app on my phone that I just love but it can only be used when traveling with a passenger who can look things up. It's called iExit and it is wonderful for telling you what is available on upcoming exits, food, gas, etc.

One of the most thrilling parts of the DC area was when we were on the 495 beltway (at my sister's direction) and it remerges with 95 in an area they call the mixing bowl. Tons of highways and ramps all merging.
You drive up this super large ramp over multiple lanes and then head down the other side. As we crested I counted no lie 12 lanes of traffic!!
It was really exciting in a very bad way!
Something like this except more lanes and you are dropping down into it!
los angeles la GIF by The Hills

After we got through that we hit the exit she recommended, exit 130B (onto SR-3), for anyone interested.
Seth and I had a tiny minute of argument on the phone because there was a Wawa right off the exit but his beloved Sheetz was 1.7 miles. I won, because I didn't want to drive the few more miles, but also I adore Wawa, another Philly memory.
All of our life together when we saw or went to a Wawa Gary would sing a ditty he made up-
Waaaawaaaa, Wawa,wawa,wawa,wawa,wawa,wawa.
In this family we have Dad jokes and Dad songs. :)
Seth sang it, I sent this pic to Gary.
IMG_4360.JPG

We did the usual, potty, gas and food break. We took the food in our vehicles and hit the road again.
At this point it was about 5 pm, and we still had a long way to go!

At around 9 pm we started to smell the arrival but it would be another full hour till we got to Fayetteville.
And another thing before I finish up today is I will add that Seth drives like an old lady. Sorry, to all of the old ladies who are speedsters out there. The entire drive when I would be in the lead he would be lagging behind.

The last 30 miles or so the gps took us off of the highway and I purposely booked this hotel to be right off of 95. I called the hotel to see if I made a mistake, and the lady said, nope we are right off of the highway and you are registered here, don't know why the gps is taking you off.
We figured out that the reason was a lengthy area of construction. It took us through this little forsaken town and then put us back on 95 right in the middle of a construction area. You know the type. Everyone is traveling over the speed limit in the dark, trucks hogging the road, and oh icing on the cake it starts to pour rain.
Seth is in the lead now, speeding, it's dark and yep my drivers side windshield wiper is broken. A huge blurry area right in my line of vision. You can't make this stuff up.
I'm cursing Seth as I try to keep up. We get to the parking lot of the hotel and I'm yelling at him and he's laughing hysterically telling me he couldn't see either!:mad:
I figured if I clocked him one it would be caught on the hotel security camera.

We went to check in and I had seen on the website they were pet friendly but there was a 75$ fee for one night. I thought it was so ridiculous I didn't add it when I booked but being honest Josephine here I confessed at check in. Yep it's 75$ for Satan, for one night. Good grief.

We made it to the room with all of our and Athen's gear and crashed pretty quickly. The plan was to again be up at 5 am and across the street to the gas station by 5:15 tomorrow. Seth had an appointment scheduled to move in to his apartment at 3:30 pm.

The crazy part is I have no memory of taking this photo, but clearly young people can fall asleep fast. Maybe I was sleep walking, who knows. This is time stamped at 10:30 pm.
IMG_4364.JPG

Phase 5- NY to NC completed.

Tomorrow, Phase 6-Please God get us to Buc-ee's Orlando!

Oh and a little side note.
As I was sitting in the driveway to pull out to head to NY my daughter Aleisha called to ask if she could come home with the babies on June 3rd. Are you kidding, how exciting!
So tomorrow we have the invasion of the California babies! The babies are coming, the babies are coming!!
I might be a little delayed with future posts here as we have baby fun!

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Enjoy the babies! This is a hell trip!
Ty so excited! And it was definitely bonkers!

You're not even in Florida yet and I'm so enjoying this :joyfull: Sounds extremely stressful, but you've handled it like a champ! Have fun with your family!
Glad you're tagging along. You never know on a straight up Disney site if stuff like this is boring.
So excited to have the kids come in.
We bought play toys and found a couple of those small formed pools.
We're going to make one a sandbox and the other a pool.
This is only the 3rd time Una has even been to our house and she's two and a half now.
Being so far apart stinks.:(

You are seriously my hero. 😊
Awww gee-whiz, thanks!
Snow White Reaction GIF

Lyssa

MAY 18th - Phase 5 continues, onto NC!

We left off with finally getting to a rest stop outside of NY, some food, gas and a potty break.
Because we didn't know if this van is considered a truck Seth put us on the truck only lanes on the Jersey turnpike which was challenging but doable.
I think I missed another weigh station for the same reason, late notice that it was coming up, That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Even though we got an earlier start, somehow we didn't seem to be making good time. I knew the DC 495/95 mess was to come and I really wanted to be through there before late afternoon/rush hour.
During the entire trip in multiple areas there were constant slow downs. Between high volumes of traffic and tons of lengthy construction areas.
traffic GIF by MFD

I called my sister who lives in VA and she was hilariously on 95 running some errands and I apologized but I told her there was no way we could meet up because we had so far to drive yet.
We chatted on and off for several hours as she gave me travel advice. She told me if there was anyway to not stop till we were past DC and closer to Fredericksburg we would be better off. We took her advice and when she got home she called me with the exit she recommended. She said it had a ton of food and gas places right off of the highway.

I have an app on my phone that I just love but it can only be used when traveling with a passenger who can look things up. It's called iExit and it is wonderful for telling you what is available on upcoming exits, food, gas, etc.

One of the most thrilling parts of the DC area was when we were on the 495 beltway (at my sister's direction) and it remerges with 95 in an area they call the mixing bowl. Tons of highways and ramps all merging.
You drive up this super large ramp over multiple lanes and then head down the other side. As we crested I counted no lie 12 lanes of traffic!!
It was really exciting in a very bad way!
Something like this except more lanes and you are dropping down into it!
los angeles la GIF by The Hills

After we got through that we hit the exit she recommended, exit 130B (onto SR-3), for anyone interested.
Seth and I had a tiny minute of argument on the phone because there was a Wawa right off the exit but his beloved Sheetz was 1.7 miles. I won, because I didn't want to drive the few more miles, but also I adore Wawa, another Philly memory.
All of our life together when we saw or went to a Wawa Gary would sing a ditty he made up-
Waaaawaaaa, Wawa,wawa,wawa,wawa,wawa,wawa.
In this family we have Dad jokes and Dad songs. :)
Seth sang it, I sent this pic to Gary.
View attachment 720787

We did the usual, potty, gas and food break. We took the food in our vehicles and hit the road again.
At this point it was about 5 pm, and we still had a long way to go!

At around 9 pm we started to smell the arrival but it would be another full hour till we got to Fayetteville.
And another thing before I finish up today is I will add that Seth drives like an old lady. Sorry, to all of the old ladies who are speedsters out there. The entire drive when I would be in the lead he would be lagging behind.

The last 30 miles or so the gps took us off of the highway and I purposely booked this hotel to be right off of 95. I called the hotel to see if I made a mistake, and the lady said, nope we are right off of the highway and you are registered here, don't know why the gps is taking you off.
We figured out that the reason was a lengthy area of construction. It took us through this little forsaken town and then put us back on 95 right in the middle of a construction area. You know the type. Everyone is traveling over the speed limit in the dark, trucks hogging the road, and oh icing on the cake it starts to pour rain.
Seth is in the lead now, speeding, it's dark and yep my drivers side windshield wiper is broken. A huge blurry area right in my line of vision. You can't make this stuff up.
I'm cursing Seth as I try to keep up. We get to the parking lot of the hotel and I'm yelling at him and he's laughing hysterically telling me he couldn't see either!:mad:
I figured if I clocked him one it would be caught on the hotel security camera.

We went to check in and I had seen on the website they were pet friendly but there was a 75$ fee for one night. I thought it was so ridiculous I didn't add it when I booked but being honest Josephine here I confessed at check in. Yep it's 75$ for Satan, for one night. Good grief.

We made it to the room with all of our and Athen's gear and crashed pretty quickly. The plan was to again be up at 5 am and across the street to the gas station by 5:15 tomorrow. Seth had an appointment scheduled to move in to his apartment at 3:30 pm.

The crazy part is I have no memory of taking this photo, but clearly young people can fall asleep fast. Maybe I was sleep walking, who knows. This is time stamped at 10:30 pm.
View attachment 720789

Phase 5- NY to NC completed.

Tomorrow, Phase 6-Please God get us to Buc-ee's Orlando!

Oh and a little side note.
As I was sitting in the driveway to pull out to head to NY my daughter Aleisha called to ask if she could come home with the babies on June 3rd. Are you kidding, how exciting!
So tomorrow we have the invasion of the California babies! The babies are coming, the babies are coming!!
I might be a little delayed with future posts here as we have baby fun!
How I miss Wawa. Let me count the ways...

Satan is adorable :) void kitties are the best kitties ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom