Trip Report An OG Anniversary Trip - Completed

And we're back!

We'll be spending our anniversary-ish trip at Walt Disney World. You may remember that we've turned into avid Disney cruisers and have pretty much sailabrated (see what I did there) on a cruise ship for the past several years. Much to our dismay, that won't be happening this year, but cruising will be back, so in the meantime, we will get Disney where we can.

If you've followed our past journeys, we may have mentioned that we had a DLR and cruise planned for mid-September. Cruise was cancelled and it's not looking like DLR is going to open the parks any time soon. We hate that Disney waits until THE LAST MINUTE to cancel, so we've taken it upon ourselves to change our plans.

I called up DVC today (less than 5-minute wait) and changed our Grand Californian stay to a Walt Disney World stay.

Here's the rundown. Jim Halpert needs to take notes.

Who:
81977538_124783439016183_6385852011002200064_o.jpg

What: A rescheduled DLR trip.
When: September 22 - 27
Where: Boardwalk Villas Studio

We converted a 3-day ticket for a visit in February to a 6-day in September, no problem. I made park reservations as well. I'm not going to lie...when this park reservation business began, I thought this was going to be a crazy free-for-all and all the dates would be snatched up. I was wrong. I've had positive experiences both times when reserving parks.

We have our room reservation and tickets in place. Now I'm working on flights and dining reservations.

imahistorygeek

Original Poster
Flights are booked - Delta into MCO and Southwest back to ATL. Decent prices, especially for Delta. I've set up Magical Express. We had considered a rental car, but National was over $300 for a compact. I could have looked at other companies, but I do really like the ability to just pick the car I want and go.

Dining reservations were pretty scarce. I'm sure it has something to do with less capacity and we're approximately a month out. During normal operations, there probably wouldn't be a thing available. The only place on our list for a must-do is Il Mulino, the best Italian on Disney property.

We went through each day and made reservations for places we wouldn't normally eat (Raglan Road, a brewhouse in DS, etc), which was all that was left. The only reservation we really wanted was Il Mulino. It was available each day, no problem. We wanted to also try the The Wave for breakfast, and since MK doesn't open until 9, we figured we had plenty of time.

Dining reservations were done...or were they?

We thought about it and decided to cancel every one except The Wave. We are just going to wing it and try same-day reservations with Il Mulino. I looked at OpenTable yesterday for Il Mulino and there were still same-day reservations available.

Day 1 - noon arrival - We will check into Boardwalk and then head over to Epcot. We will probably stay here until closing, which is either 6 or 7 pm. As noted above, we will wing it for dinner.

Day 2 - Magic Kingdom - another day of winging it and probably some pool time.

Day 3 - Hollywood Studios - see above.

Day 4 - Animal Kingdom - see above.

Day 5 - Magic Kingdom - see above, but add in breakfast at The Wave. They have an avocado toast entree that looks good. I don't eat eggs (remember the egg debacle?).

Day 6 - departure day - Animal Kingdom and then head back to Boardwalk to get our luggage and return to airport.

That's our trip in a nutshell. We haven't stayed at Boardwalk since our daughter was in middle school (she graduated highschool this summer) and out standout memory was housekeeping trying to kick us out a 7 am on our departure day.

We're hoping to get some pool time in and I'm sure we'll go to Disney Springs for some quick service, especially dinners. I'm going to keep my eye for deals on rental cars, because while Disney will shuttle us around for free, it's just easier to drive ourselves around and not be at the mercy of Disney transportation.

It would also be really nice if Disney opened back up the purchase of APs before or while we are there. We'd like to convert them to APs for a trip in February. If it doesn't happen, oh well.

Last edited:

Rista1313

Flights are booked - Delta into MCO and Southwest back to ATL. Decent prices, especially for Delta. I've set up Magical Express. We had considered a rental car, but National was over $300 for a compact. I could have looked at other companies, but I do really like the ability to just pick the car I want and go.

Dining reservations were pretty scarce. I'm sure it has something to do with less capacity and we're approximately a month out. During normal operations, there probably wouldn't be a thing available. The only place on our list for a must-do is Il Mulino, the best Italian on Disney property.

We went through each day and made reservations for places we wouldn't normally eat (Raglan Road, a brewhouse in DS, etc), which was all that was left. The only reservation we really wanted was Il Mulino. It was available each day, no problem. We wanted to also try the The Wave for breakfast, and since MK doesn't open until 9, we figured we had plenty of time.

Dining reservations were done...or were they?

We thought about it and decided to cancel every one except The Wave. We are just going to wing it and try same-day reservations with Il Mulino. I looked at OpenTable yesterday for Il Mulino and there were still same-day reservations available.

Day 1 - noon arrival - We will check into Boardwalk and then head over to Epcot. We will probably stay here until closing, which is either 6 or 7 pm. As noted above, we will wing it for dinner.

Day 2 - Magic Kingdom - another day of winging it and probably some pool time.

Day 3 - Hollywood Studios - see above.

Day 4 - Animal Kingdom - see above.

Day 5 - Magic Kingdom - see above, but add in breakfast at The Wave. They have an avocado toast entree that looks good. I don't eat eggs (remember the egg debacle?).

Day 6 - departure day - Animal Kingdom and then head back to Boardwalk to get our luggage and return to airport.

That's our trip in a nutshell. We haven't stayed at Boardwalk since our daughter was in middle school (she graduated highschool this summer) and out standout memory was housekeeping trying to kick us out a 7 am on our departure day.

We're hoping to get some pool time in and I'm sure we'll go to Disney Springs for some quick service, especially dinners. I'm going to keep my eye for deals on rental cars, because while Disney will shuttle us around for free, it's just easier to drive ourselves around and not be at the mercy of Disney transportation.

It would also be really nice if Disney opened back up the purchase of APs before or while we are there. We'd like to convert them to APs for a trip in February. If it doesn't happen, oh well.

I heard something recently about II Mulino not being open. Not sure if that's true or an ugly rumor.

Zipadeelady

I feel for you. I work at a University (I'm not a professor). I see what the professors have to do to prepare, then a new stipulation/rule comes out and they have to revamp their courses, syllabi, classrooms, and more. They are exhausted but they do what they have to do.

So thanks for being a teacher. :happy: I hope you get to relax on the trip and get to cruise sooner than later.

imahistorygeek

Original Poster
I feel for you. I work at a University (I'm not a professor). I see what the professors have to do to prepare, then a new stipulation/rule comes out and they have to revamp their courses, syllabi, classrooms, and more. They are exhausted but they do what they have to do.

So thanks for being a teacher. :happy: I hope you get to relax on the trip and get to cruise sooner than later.

I work in administration, but I see what they have to do to get ready. No thanks. If you want to see what we are currently dealing with, search UNG party. We've made national news...again.

lostpro9het

So much this! Less than a week before starting school we get told “oh, BTW, all next week has to be online now so kids can get acclimated to school” . This was on top of “oh you have 38 kids in your course well you can only have 13 kids in your classroom at a time and since you only teach Mon/Wed you need to break your roster into 3 mini rosters and rotate the groups through the semester but make sure they are all learning the same thing at the same time. And, no, you cant teach your course all online “

Serenity Now!

I really hate this for the students. Its so convoluted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom