An Inside Look at New Disney Parks Technology, Personalized Experiences and More

Kamikaze

That was the exception, more than the rule, I think. As you said, DLR's ToT was inferior to begin with. If they had done it at DHS instead of DCA, there would have been torches and pitchforks even after it was completed. And their success record for replacements to classic attractions isn't exactly stellar.

And thats fair, but the problem comes from the 'all change is bad change' mindset. For example, who knows how good the Guardians coaster is going to be? UoE was outdated, boring, and I assume low attended. The new ride will be none of those things for sure, but its overall quality is the question mark. Its not exactly a stretch, though, to assume with current technology (to stick with the topic) that WDI can make GotG an upgrade over its predecessor on both coasts. The 'Epcot is for learning' part of the discussion is something completely different than 'Is GotG better than UoE?'

TP2000

It's painfully obvious he has zero passion for P&R.

That’s about all I took out of his little canned speech as well.

Whoever is in charge of Executive Communications in Burbank is doing a really bad job. Or else they are so clueless that they think we are stupid enough to believe guys like Chapek.

Humans instinctively sense when another human is genuine, and Chapek is not even close to being genuine.

brb1006

At least the Imagineers sound more enthusiastic in the behind the scenes video for their BATB LPS ride.

Look how smooth Belle moves.
1S0G95p.gif

lazyboy97o

so... you guys... don't like the canned corporate message? I don't see a problem with it, considering he's not at a fan event. He's at a corporate expo. Not only is he presenting the 'brand', he's also looking for new investors.. comeon ya'll, this is business 101.
The IAAPA Attractions Expo is a conference and exhibition with bounce houses for the adult attendees to try. There are carnival rides and zip lines. Video games and greasy food samples. Parties and after parties every night. This year’s slogan was “Fun Forward.” That’s not some dry, stodgy “corporate expo.”

Last edited:

Tavernacle12

At least the Imagineers sound more enthusiastic in the behind the scenes video for their BATB LPS ride.

Look how smooth Belle moves.
1S0G95p.gif

I was rooting for us to get Rat over BatB because I felt Rat fit Epcot more but... I watched this video earlier and I want to ride that thing SO bad. Can they bulldoze New Fantasyland and let us have it too?

Fox&Hound

I was rooting for us to get Rat over BatB because I felt Rat fit Epcot more but... I watched this video earlier and I want to ride that thing SO bad. Can they bulldoze New Fantasyland and let us have it too?

I vote they build it behind NFL and use Belle's cottage as a queue space. Imagine the magic mirror effect opening to a hall that led you that ride. Killer.....

jt04

Because Walt Disney said “Disneyland will never be completed,” everything else he said, believed, and did are irrelevant and dated.

I find that press point infuriating. Only extremists argue a complete freeze in time. Most want quite the opposite of stagnation. They want innovation! I know I do.

Do I want respect for what was there before? Yes. But is there a lot of leeway? Absolutely.

A great example would be the beloved Big Thunder Mountain Rail Road. It has aspects very similar to the Mine Train Through Nature’s Wonderland at Disneyland. It still celebrates the wildness of nature and the west. It also is still frontier. It is the perfect harmony between old and new.

The potential for harmony can be found in the wide tapestries of Adventure, Frontier, Fantasy, and Tomorrow.

Isn’t this the perfect time to be looking at the challenges (even risks) of the future, and the potential benefits? Imagine what we could learn from the things we did right and wrong on the American frontier.

Disneyland (and thus Magic Kingdom) was built on flexible settings that allow for countless stories to be told.

I’d love to see a Tomorrowland confronting the possibilities and risks of A.I., alternative energy sources, or robotics! Or what about a dark ride telling Native American stories in Frontierland (it’s not like exploring what happens when two cultures collide is relevant)?

Chapek is just too daft to see any potential beyond Woody awkwardly standing around in Frontierland.

Oh and apparently Space Mountain didn’t get the memo on the museum thing...

They are escapist theme parks. Walt meant them to be fun family entertainment and not explorations of the latest or most relevant social issue zeitgeist. Including Future World. DAK has started approaching the red line.

This mindset has damaged other Disney franchises, keep it out of the parks please.

peter11435

They are escapist theme parks. Walt meant them to be fun family entertainment and not explorations of the latest or most relevant social issue zeitgeist. Including Future World. DAK has started approaching the red line.

This mindset has damaged other Disney franchises, keep it out of the parks please.
So much wrong here

mikejs78

Premium Member
The new BatB ride should replace it's a small world in Fantasyland with it's a small world moving to Epcot.
Since moving IaSW is never happening, what this should replace is Enchanted Tales with Belle. Then build a new M&G structure towards the back of NFL, and put the current princesses + Belle and maybe one other there, and make the current PFTH a dark ride again (maybe Tangled?) Boom, you've significantly improved Fantasyland and probably added a boatload of capacity.

And anyone who says WDI isn't as good as they used to be just needs to watch this video. It's not imagineering that has declined (this, Pandora, SW:GE are prime refutations of that idea) but rather management dictates holding them back.

Phil12

Let's look at the bright side. Perhaps it means that they're finally ready to get rid of CoP, CBJ, Tiki Room, IASW and the other museum pieces they have in the collection.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom