An Explorer's Notes: Magic Kingdom and World News and Pictures

EPCOT Explorer

Original Poster
An Explorer's Notes: Magic Kingdom and World News
3838303246_8e923e397d.jpg

Evening, everyone!

Before I get into the nitty gritty, the Doom and Glooming, The Fanboy-ing, The Pixie Dusting, (Yes, I do ALL of it! :D) and of course, The News, I would just like to preface that with a small introduction on the background of this trip. I am sure that the events preceding it effected my perception of it.

Aug 2008-Aug 2009 has been a very interesting time for myself and my family. In the course of one year, we've lost family members, struggled with difficult courses, fought with college applications, been accepted from college applications, made very tough choices, and ultimately, realized that after this year, a TON is going to change. As we went through this crazy year, we ultimately overcame all the stress, insanity, and survived to get to "the other side". Once victoruous, what do we want to do? Well...I think the answer is the same for a ton of you. Go to Walt Disney World! So, a trip was planned for early August. We planned, we packed, we got excited, and then suddenly, it was postponed and shortened. It was a large disappointment, but there was some solace in still being able to go for one day, and to go to The Magic Kingdom. (We are saving EPCOT for December!)

So, finally we are here. Back at the Walt Disney World Resort, and back at The Magic Kingdom. Ultimately, I think this is what Walt wanted. A family, to Celebrate being together, Celebrate being at a special place, and Celebrate the moment. This year's theme, though cheesy fits this momment for me all to well.:eek: It's something special.

Now that we have moved past all the fluff :)lol:) it's important to note that this is my first trip returning to this park since 2006. In this, I'm sure you'll be reading some of these reports already knowing the news, but I hope that I can provide a new look at some of them, and perhaps update you with some new information and observations

And now....What you are here for- NEWS!! :D

Resorts/Monorail/Merch

Visited the Poly on this trip, as always. An enjoyable experience, I find that while it's not a theme park, the magic is very strong there for me. This was made all the more fantastic by GREAT CM's that we ran into and had the pleasure of talking to. A huge improvement over some experiences I had last year. It was good to see most CM's chipper, happy and interacting with guests. (Pin trading FTW, here.:lol:)

However, on a less than positive note, backstage is VERY, visible around the Poly and around the MK, too. It's not something that really should be seen...It kills off the great illusion they have pulled off- Especially if a resort guest can see it from their room...Which they can.

Grand Ceremonial House is getting some work done on it's facade as well.
3837479435_9c055bba5e.jpg

Moving on....Monorails. All were working great and had the AC on full blast! it was cold in there!:sohappy: Only negative was Mono Gold was having very bad audio issues. Cracking speakers and failed to do any speil as we made our way to and into EPCOT for a quick look.

Grand Floridian appears to be having some work done to it's (what I think is) the North Wing (closest to 7SL and MK). All I could see from the Monorail was a few cherry pickers and some tarps. No pics, The Monorail was booking:lol:

BLT's exterior, though I know many fans dislike it, is well received by guests. Lots of comments about it as we passed. Maybe it's just because it's new.:shrug:

Next post...MK!

EPCOT Explorer

Original Poster
Continuing now...The Magic Kingdom itself...

Like I said, GREAT to be back. A 3 year gap only makes the experience all the more better.

Main Street- Looks EXCELLENT! I was quite shocked to tell you the truth. No discernible paint chips, not a plurality of lights out at night. The refurbs on Champions is still underway, and it's well deserved. Keep MSUSA looking like this, and it's a return to the quality Disney is known for.

3838873380_3b8b942d35.jpg

The Hub is also looking pretty good. Though the trees are missed, it is looking a tad more lush. Plants have been allowed to grow in, and are not just in bunches. It's very nice.
3838289876_853bce2da6.jpg

Cinderella Castle itself looks stunning. I was apprehensive of the darker paint job, but I think it fits it well....Seeing as my eyes were glued to it all throughout the day.

Adventureland Oy. Here's where things go a little wacky....and I'm kinda of surprised that it has not been mentioned or addressed here. It hurts me to say this, but I'm thinking it's the worst land in the MK right now. Or at least the first half of it. In terms of upkeep,the land looks it's age. It's faded, ram-shamble and does not convey the positive feeling of "Disney" here. Aladdin's Spinner only adds insult to injury.

3838299622_a7066ee94c.jpg

I'm thinking that the whole front part of the land needs some upkeep. Hopefully it's high on the list. The positives, however are here, though. The back part of the land is great! Calm, lush, the architecture goes well with it's surroundings. Love that the Swiss Treehouse is still around, PoTC looks great in it's surroundings...Even if Caribbean Plaza is overly generic now.

3838903606_2ab9b0f052.jpg

As for POTC itself...Again, good to be back. Upkeep of the sets seems to be passable, and audio is better than it was in 2006. I could hear lots more going on in the scenes. The only place where this did not hold true was the Davy Jones Projection room. Otherwise, all was good.

Frontierland

All good, here. Upkeep was very nice and backstage stayed backstage. Only rode Splash Mountain here...And as always, thrilling! AA's do need some work though, which is understandable for a water attraction. However, some are really not looking good, especially since you are able to see them up close. Brer Rabbit was NOT hopping BTW....and it looked like his ears were about to fall off. :( Besides that, great. I screamed my lungs out.:lookaroun
3838928708_d29edb9303.jpg

Pecos Bill's was had for lunch...Great CM's once again, but portion size has definitely gone down. Also...They no longer give you free refills, something they did, in 2006, at least. I guess that has changed.

EPCOT Explorer

Original Poster
Heading to bed for now...Long day of traveling, and unpacking! :lol:This post will be updated tomorrow with LS, FL, TL, Merch, and Entertainment.

In the meantime, feel free to ask any questions...Happy to answer them!

See you real soon!

EPCOT Explorer

Original Poster
Which backstage areas do you speak of?
Honestly, just in general. At Poly, you could see (from the Monorail Station or he 2nd Floor) back into a area behind the kitchens. In FrntLand you could see the unthemed facade of buildings in ALand. :shrug: Maybe I never noticed it before, but it was something glaringly apparent.
Waiting for more!

Glad to hear it!:wave: Hope you enjoy!

HMF

Why would they do that? I'm thinking it's part of the facade.:wave:
No it's not. it was added with the Captain Jack Sparrow refurb. Usually WDI only adds temporary banner-like signs with rides that they expect to replace anyway'
Like this one.
imagination.jpg

or this one
DSCF0082.jpg

TheDisneyMagic

Brer Rabbit was NOT hopping BTW

He is so temperamental, yesturday morning he was working, riding again in the afternoon he was not.

The only place where this did not hold true was the Davy Jones Projection room.

I can vouch for that, on a number of recent visits he can only be understood as you pass through him, so beforehand you can't hear his little spiel. All that needs to be done is crank up the volume slightly and it will be perfect. (The same can be said for Spaceship Earth :animwink:).

TheDisneyMagic

No it's not. it was added with the Captain Jack Sparrow refurb. Usually WDI only adds temporary banner-like signs with rides that they expect to replace anyway'

Just a shame that over ten years down the line and the "temporary" attraction has not been made in to a permanent one.

WDW1974

Interesting views. ... And I am sure colored by not being there since '06 (how does that happen to a Disney geek who lives 200 miles away?!?!)

I have also had a very stressful year and I think I had such a great time at WDW because it still is a pretty terrific place to spend time.

Now ... why the heck didn't you ride BTMRR?!?! It is still one of the best coasters in O-Town, especially at night. Please don't tell me you were getting foamhead autographs or pintrading!

_Scar

Interesting views. ... And I am sure colored by not being there since '06 (how does that happen to a Disney geek who lives 200 miles away?!?!)

I have also had a very stressful year and I think I had such a great time at WDW because it still is a pretty terrific place to spend time.

Now ... why the heck didn't you ride BTMRR?!?! It is still one of the best coasters in O-Town, especially at night. Please don't tell me you were getting foamhead autographs or pintrading!

EE is best coaster at night :sohappy: make sure to do DAK on Monday when it is pen until 10. Youll be thankful you did.

WDW1974

Wasn't trying to pick on Explorer. He is one of my young minions of evil in training.

Just that I've cut down my WDW visits drastically of late and I bet since 1/1/06 I've probably spent parts of 90 days ... in the MK (more at EPCOT).

jt04

Excellent report so far. I agree completely with the problem of seeing backstage. It's impossible to theme all the areas in the resorts but the MK should set a better standard. I have noticed some improvements but they could do better with the views from the Railroad. It's almost like the trees have grown too high in areas and no longer block the views.

Anyway, I appreciate that you included good news too.

EPCOTPluto

Main Street- Looks EXCELLENT! I was quite shocked to tell you the truth. No discernible paint chips, not a plurality of lights out at night. The refurbs on Champions is still underway, and it's well deserved. Keep MSUSA looking like this, and it's a return to the quality Disney is known for.
Nice to hear. I guess the refurbishment improved the interior and exterior from what I saw before. Then again, they just put up the tarps the last time I was in the Magic Kingdom. I think I need to go back as well....

Adventureland Oy. Here's where things go a little wacky....and I'm kinda of surprised that it has not been mentioned or addressed here. It hurts me to say this, but I'm thinking it's the worst land in the MK right now. Or at least the first half of it. In terms of upkeep,the land looks it's age. It's faded, ram-shamble and does not convey the positive feeling of "Disney" here. Aladdin's Spinner only adds insult to injury...I'm thinking that the whole front part of the land needs some upkeep. Hopefully it's high on the list.
Perhaps Adventureland is meant to be that rugged, faded, shabby look...
I am just more concerned for The Magic Carpets. It basically sits in the middle of AL and creates a constant hustle and bustle to go here or there. I am happy they kept the quiet walkway from AL to FL near the Tiki Room...

The only place where this did not hold true was the Davy Jones Projection room. Otherwise, all was good.
I had more trouble hearing Jack Sparrow talking than Davy Jones. In fact, that scene is the only disappointment for POTC, IMO. It's so lifeless and dull. And you hardly are able to see everything in the Treasure Room, since it's at a distance & they always unload quickly, (well, whenever I am there.) They could've done something more in that particular scene.

AA's do need some work though, which is understandable for a water attraction. However, some are really not looking good, especially since you are able to see them up close. Brer Rabbit was NOT hopping BTW....and it looked like his ears were about to fall off.
That hopping Brer Rabbit hardly ever works for me. I remember being shocked when I actually saw it hop perfectly once years back! And especially for the AAs in the Laughing Place. They always never work. Some AAs, like those laughin turtles, just stand still...

And how were your views on Fantasyland? Think it's time for that expansion to start now? :lookaroun

Overall, though, sounds like you had a nice trip! :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom