Trip Report An Artsy-Fartsy Trip

This trip came together very quickly. I was burnt out after a rough holiday season at work for multiple reasons and had some vacation time to use. I looked at the calendar at work and before you know it, my mom and I book a short Festival of the Arts trip.

IMG_0757.JPG

WHO: Me and my mom

WHEN: January 19-22

WHERE: All Star Music

My goal is to complete this TR before heading back to WDW in exactly one week from today!

Last edited:

BwlrBry212

Original Poster
DAY 1 -- JANUARY 19TH

I had to work until 10:30pm the night before and we had an early morning flight out of PHL so sleep was not really in the cards for me but somehow the lack of sleep always hits different when Disney is involved. The good thing about not being able to sleep the night before was that I was able to score a next day ADR for Space 220 Lounge late Wednesday night.

We left in the pitch black morning and made our way to the off site parking place that we always use. I can't say enough good things about Smart Park. If you are in the Philly area, I highly recommend them. They are fairly priced and they have great customer service. Years ago, my parents and I took a trip to Vegas. My dad accidently left the headlights on and we came home to a dead battery. Without any hesitation, they sent someone over to jump start the car for no charge. This was actually the first of two times that they had to help us with our car after a trip. The second time I am not sure what happened to my mom's car. I suspect that when the key fob was in my bag that something was pressing on it because it wouldn't open the car. We finally got in the car and then it wouldn't start. So again they jumped us and got us on our way. And as an added bonus, they give you Smarties when you leave.

We made it to the airport and through security with no incidents and grabbed some breakfast sandwiches. We were flying Southwest for the first time in a while due to cost. We left the middle seat open with the hopes that no one would choose to squeeze in between us. To increase our odds, I always put my backpack on the middle seat to make it look like someone is sitting there and I also try to look as miserable and unhappy as possible to deter anyone from wanting to sit next to me. It worked! It was an uneventful flight and I was actually able to catch up on some sleep.

The only hiccup in our travels down was that it took forever to get our suitcase. In the past, the baggage claim at MCO is usually pretty efficient, especially compared to PHL. Once our bag finally came around, we went out and summoned an Uber to the hotel. Our room wasn't ready yet, which I expected, so we left our bags and got in line for the bus to Epcot.

fractal

DAY 1 -- JANUARY 19TH

I had to work until 10:30pm the night before and we had an early morning flight out of PHL so sleep was not really in the cards for me but somehow the lack of sleep always hits different when Disney is involved. The good thing about not being able to sleep the night before was that I was able to score a next day ADR for Space 220 Lounge late Wednesday night.

We left in the pitch black morning and made our way to the off site parking place that we always use. I can't say enough good things about Smart Park. If you are in the Philly area, I highly recommend them. They are fairly priced and they have great customer service. Years ago, my parents and I took a trip to Vegas. My dad accidently left the headlights on and we came home to a dead battery. Without any hesitation, they sent someone over to jump start the car for no charge. This was actually the first of two times that they had to help us with our car after a trip. The second time I am not sure what happened to my mom's car. I suspect that when the key fob was in my bag that something was pressing on it because it wouldn't open the car. We finally got in the car and then it wouldn't start. So again they jumped us and got us on our way. And as an added bonus, they give you Smarties when you leave.

We made it to the airport and through security with no incidents and grabbed some breakfast sandwiches. We were flying Southwest for the first time in a while due to cost. We left the middle seat open with the hopes that no one would choose to squeeze in between us. To increase our odds, I always put my backpack on the middle seat to make it look like someone is sitting there and I also try to look as miserable and unhappy as possible to deter anyone from wanting to sit next to me. It worked! It was an uneventful flight and I was actually able to catch up on some sleep.

The only hiccup in our travels down was that it took forever to get our suitcase. In the past, the baggage claim at MCO is usually pretty efficient, especially compared to PHL. Once our bag finally came around, we went out and summoned an Uber to the hotel. Our room wasn't ready yet, which I expected, so we left our bags and got in line for the bus to Epcot.

Checking in!

giphy.gif

Also a fan of Smart Park! One of the few things that exceed expectation at the Philly Airport area.

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
This trip came together very quickly. I was burnt out after a rough holiday season at work for multiple reasons and had some vacation time to use. I looked at the calendar at work and before you know it, my mom and I book a short Festival of the Arts trip.

View attachment 635904

WHO: Me and my mom

WHEN: January 19-22

WHERE: All Star Music

My goal is to complete this TR before heading back to WDW in exactly one week from today!

If you don’t make your goal perhaps you can share the rest with me should our paths cross next weekend.

P.S. Love the title!
Me too.

BwlrBry212

Original Poster
DAY 1 -- JANUARY 19TH

IMG_1108.JPEG

It was a little after 11am and we were greeted by the beauty.

My mom forgot to bring her AP card so we stopped by Guest Relations to grab another. It was thankfully a short wait with no issues. We hadn't eaten anything since ungodly-o'clock in the morning at the airport, food was a top priority for us. We cut past Odyssey and were greeted by an unusual sight...the Mexico booth with no line. We jumped at this rare opportunity and grabbed some grub.

IMG_1110.JPEG

Carne Asada: Seared beef tenderloin, grilled queso fresco, refried beans, scallion, and ranchera salsa

The steak was cooked well but the best part of dish was the griddled cheese slice. I think next year they should skip the steak altogether and load up on that cheese!

When in Mexico, one must also get a margarita.

IMG_1109.JPEG

Smoky Rosemary: Blanco tequila, rosemary-infused mezcal, ginger cordial, lime juice, and rosemary aroma

This was very tasty and a fun presentation. They pour the drink and then added the smoke with a smoke gun. The smokiness went well with the mezcal and it got a lot of looks carrying it over to the table.

With our appetites somewhat whetted, we embarked on our journey around the world.

IMG_1111.JPEG

I liked these decorations and the not so subtle nod to Figment.

We decided to get something else to eat (and drink) in France.

IMG_1114.JPEG

Mousseline de Bisque de Homard Froide, Brioche Feuilletée à l’Aneth: Chilled lobster bisque mousse served with dill brioche

This was a weird dish but I actually ended up liking it. The texture was the biggest challenge but it had all of the flavors of lobster bisque and had some nice sized chunks of lobster in it. The little brioche cube didn't really add anything to the dish. I couldn't taste any dill in it at all.

I am pretty sure my mom got the melted brie in the bread bowl which is always a solid choice. Cheese for the win!

IMG_1113.JPEG

Frozen French Martini: Vodka, black raspberry liqueur, pineapple, orange, and grape juice with lemon-lime foam

It wasn't the beloved Grey Goose slushie but this was a nice refreshing drink. My foam didn't last long enough to get a picture though.

Now our stomachs were satisfied, we wandered around WS looking at the different art booths and shuddering at the prices of everything. There were some really neat pieces but I would need a second job to afford most of them.

Once we completed the loop, we headed back to Future World (or whatever it is called now) for some rides. I am pretty certain that we went on Nemo and looked at the dolphins for a while. Then, I know we went over to The Land and rode LWTL and Soarin. We still had a few hours until our dinner reservation and we split the turkey club at Sunshine Seasons.

Up Next: Space 220 dinner and a musical nightcap

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Your frozen French martini looks very good. The mousseline on the otherhand, not so much (not a fan of mousseline in general, regardless of the flavor - I think it is a texture thing),

BwlrBry212

Original Poster
DAY 1 -- JANUARY 19TH

We checked in for our dinner at Space 220 Lounge and hopped on the space elevator to the restaurant. From what I can tell, the "lounge" is just the section of tables in front of the bar on the upper level of the restaurant. The views were pretty much the same and you aren't locked into the pricey prix fixe menu. However, we were surprised when our waiter came over and let us know that we could order from the lounge menu like we intended or that we could order the prix fixe dinner as well.

IMG_1115.JPEG

I started with a cocktail. This was the Nebula -- Maker’s Mark, Pineapple, Honey, Passion Fruit, Angostura Bitters, and Moon Dust. This had a good balance between bourbon and fruitiness without being super boozy.

We split an order of Astro Deviled Eggs — Free-Range Eggs, Maple Glazed Bacon, Scallion, Pickled Shallots, and Micro Cilantro. Sorry but I forgot to take a picture of these. The maple bacon cut through the richness of the deviled eggs and was a solid appetizer.

IMG_1116.JPEG

I got the Short Rib Sliders — Short Rib, along with White Cheddar Cheese, Sriracha Aioli, Lettuce, Tomato, and Butter Pickles and served with French Fries. These were honestly pretty blah. The short rib was tender but there was not much flavor going on despite having sriracha aioli. The fries were just basic Disney fries. I was expecting them to have some kind of unique seasoning or something to set them apart in such a themed restaurant.

I finished my mom's Chicken on Waffle — Fried Chicken, a Smoked Bacon and Roasted Corn Waffle, Spiced Coleslaw, and Bourbon Maple Glaze which was much better than my meal and probably what I would get if we go back.

As a whole, I enjoyed the meal better at the lounge than the full menu for two main reasons: price and size of meal. The prix fixe menu is much pricier than I typically like to spend for dinner and three courses ends up being too much food especially with many festival booths out there to snack upon.

We came back down to Earth and went over to WS to catch the last Disney On Broadway concert in America. Tonight's show featured Kerry Butler (Beauty and the Beast) and Telly Leung (Aladdin). They were very energetic and sang songs from a variety of Disney broadway shows.

This was the start of a Disney On Broadway binge for us. Back at Christmas 2019, my mom got me tickets to see The Lion King on Broadway in spring of 2020. Well, we all know what happened there and after a few reschedulings, she got a refund and I got an IOU. Cut to November 2021 and I saw that there was a promo going on that for one price you got tickets to The Lion King and Aladdin so my mom got that for us and doubled our Disney show fun. Again, this would not go smoothly. We were supposed to see Aladdin in February and there ended up being a pretty big snow storm forecasted for that day. Thankfully, we were able to reschedule for a later date. That was the end of our troubles though and we made it to both shows with no further issues. Both shows were great, but The Lion King was my favorite by far. The stage and the costumes were amazing!

Anyway, back to Disney. After the show, we decided to call it a night and head back to the room for some much needed sleep. We had gotten the room ready text but we were a bit concerned because the room code in the app had "1K" in the string of letters and numbers and we were worried that we were getting a King room. Sure enough, we were right. My mom called down to the front desk and explained that she booked a double room and that it wasn't ideal for a 37 year old son to share a bed with his mother. They were able to move us to another room but it was in a building a little farther away from the main building but it wasn't that big of a deal, just annoying.

BwlrBry212

Original Poster
DAY 2 -- JANUARY 20TH

I am a good son and since my mom gets up early every day for work when we go away I always get up and get ready first so she can get a little more sleep. After showering, I placed a mobile order for breakfast from the food court. I got a breakfast sandwich, which was good not great, and my mom got overnight oats. Mobile ordering went smoothly throughout this whole trip.

We had heard from a few of our friends that were in WDW during the holiday season that the CMs were unpleasant and sometimes rude. We found things to be the opposite during our trip. Every morning there were CMs lined up at the doors to the bus stops playing music and dancing and singing and greeting everyone. It was such a great way to start the day.

After a short wait, we were on a bus and arrived here...

IMG_1117.JPEG

This is hands down my mom's favorite park so we always make sure to spend time here. We explored some of the trails and made our way to the safari. The wait was fairly lengthy but with Everest closed and my mom no longer rides FoP, there wasn't much else ridewise that was a must do.

So please enjoy a montage of safari pics.

IMG_1118.JPEG

I don't think I have ever seen the hippos on land before.

IMG_1120.JPEG

IMG_1122.JPEG

One of my coworkers loves giraffes so I told her I would take pictures for her.

IMG_1125.JPEG

Tough to see, but BABY RHINO 😍!!!

After the safari, we strayed from our usual pattern of doing the gorilla trail in favor of going to the most underrated park of AK, Rafiki's Planet Watch. They typically do the vet procedures earlier in the day so we were hoping that by going sooner rather than later that we could catch a glimpse of a procedure being done. Unfortunately, they were not doing any procedures that day but we still checked out the bugs and reptiles and whatnot and spent some time in the petting zoo before heading back to AK proper.

After our train ride, we explored the Gorilla Falls trail. I am not sure why but I didn't take any pictures for some reason. We meandered over to Asia and walked through the Maharaja Jungle Trek. Again, no pictures which means that the tigers must not have been our or hard to see. I wouldn't pass up an opportunity for tiger pics since they are my favorite.

We checked out the wait time for Dinosaur but it was way too long so we passed on that. We just enjoyed walking around and soaking in the atmosphere for a while until it was time to head out for our lunch reservation at Homecomin'.

This is where things got interesting. Somehow, I missed the memo that there were no buses from the parks to DS. I knew that there weren't buses from DS to the parks because people were abusing the free parking at DS but I thought they were running one way. I knew from other TRs that the boats were running again on the Sassagoula so we decided to take the bus to Saratoga Springs and then we had the option of taking the boat or walking.

Here is where my lack of experience staying on property bit me in the behind. My mom's back was bothering her so she wanted to take the boat. I looked on the map and saw that the boat dock was near the main building. I was expecting one of the internal bus stop to be called lobby or something like that. We passed stop after stop and then the next thing we know, the announcement on the bus says that we are headed to Animal Kingdom...

Season 7 Oops GIF by Workaholics

Of course, Saratoga Springs is about as far away from AK as possible and our ADR time was quickly approaching. As we pulled back into AK, I summoned an Uber to DS with the hopes that we would still make it in time for lunch. We walked past a car that was waiting and jokingly said that it would be great if that was our ride. Turns out it was!

We made it to DS and hoofed it over to Homecomin' only a few minutes late. Phew!

We split an order of Church Lady Deviled Eggs that I forgot to take a picture of since I was still recovering from our not-so-incredible journey. If you are keeping score, this is the second order of deviled eggs in as many days. Within the past few years I have discovered that I really like deviled eggs after avoiding them for so long. There is a place near us back home (Railroad Street Bar and Grill in Linfield for the SE PA folks out there) that often times has a special flavor of deviled eggs like buffalo or Italian with pesto and crispy prosciutto. Eating there really got me hooked on deviled eggs so oftentimes we will try them at various places to find good ones. The deviled eggs at Homecomin' are really good. Instead of the typical halved egg, these ones are more like hollowed out whole eggs filled with the filling and topped with bacon.

For my lunch, I went with the fried chicken sandwich that comes with yummy house made chips with icebox dressing on them.

IMG_1129.JPEG

Another great meal at Homecomin' came to an end and we were full and happy.

Ever since they have opened, I have been on a mission to get cookies from Gideon's but the line has always been crazy when we have been at DS. On a whim, we walked over there after lunch to see how long the virtual queue wait was. But to my amazement, there was no virtual queue and there were only about 10 people in line in front of us so we hopped in the line still thinking that it was too good to be true. I am happy to say that it was not too good to be true and in less than 15 minutes we were inside and finally getting the cookies I have been waiting for. We got a chocolate chip and peanut butter to split over the next couple of days and they were worth it.

IMG_1131.JPEG
IMG_1132.JPEG

With our cookies in tow, we needed to go back to the room to drop them off so I decided to stop in one of my favorite stores in DS, Stance, to pick up some socks. I got a pair of Hulk socks and a pair of Marauder's Map socks. After a brief pit stop, we hopped a bus back to the hotel to drop off our stuff and relax for a bit before heading back out.

We took the almost entirely empty bus over to HS in hopes of RotR having a shorter wait time at night.

Spoiler alert: it did not.

But we did get to ride TSMM, catch a showing of Muppets 3D, a solo flight on Star Tours for me, and we caught the last showing of the Frozen Sing-a-long which was hysterical as usual. I love when the historians go off script and crack themselves up. At this point, we were both exhausted so we decided to call it a night and head back to the room. On the bus ride back, I did mobile order a kids chicken finger meal for myself and an Uncrustable for my mom. I also had a piece of each cookie before turning in for the night.

BwlrBry212

Original Poster
DAY 3 -- JANUARY 21ST

We woke up and got ready for another fun filled day. Instead of mobile ordering breakfast, we decided that eating the rest of the Gideon's cookies from yesterday for breakfast was a better idea. We were on vacation, ok?!?

We were once again greeted by a CM song and dance party on the way to the bus to MK. We only had a short wait and we were off to MK.

We were greeted on Main Street USA by the Dapper Dans riding by on the trolley.

IMG_1133.JPEG

Following our typical pattern, we made a right at the hub and went to Tomorrowland. We started off a Buzz which had a short line still. No galactic hero this time but I was one 100K target away. Then we went on the Peoplemover. Space Mountain was down at the time and we were excited to get a glimpse of the ride with the lights on as we went through.

IMG_1136.JPEG

We completed our Tomorrowland Trifecta with Carousel of Progress. The CM there was awesome. She emphasized multiple times that it was a 20 minute show and if you couldn't stay for the whole 20 minutes to leave now before the show starts. She paused after her spiel and I yelled out "how long is the show?" and she played right along an said "great question!" and gave her speech again. The crowd in the room got a good chuckle out of it.

At this point, it was getting close to our lunch ADR at Steakhouse 71. We didn't want to have to rush like the day before's mad dash to Homecomin'. On the way out, the princesses were out at the train station.

IMG_1138.JPEG

The route to the Contemporary was slightly less complicated than the day before and we made it to the Contemporary with plenty of time to spare.

We were seated way in the back of the restaurant almost all the way in the corner. Last time we were here I felt pressured to get steak at a steakhouse but I had read the rave reviews on Disney Food Blog about the burger and knew I had to try it.

IMG_1140.JPEG

It doesn't look like anything special but the was hands down the BEST BURGER IN ALL OF WDW!!! In fact, it is probably in my top 3 burgers of all time and I admit that I still think about this burger often and can't wait for the next time I can have it in my mouth. We have a reservation there this weekend for the Mother's Day Brunch. The whole brunch menu isn't listed anywhere that I could find but I fully plan on getting this burger if it is on the brunch menu despite the fact that our ADR is for 9:30am.

Riding high on burger bliss, we went back to MK for a while. I know that we rode Little Mermaid, Pirates and saw the new version of Philharmagic. Personally, I loved the updates and enjoyed the Coco scene even though I haven't seen the movie yet. 😬 We may have ridden some other things but those are the only ones that I remember for sure and we didn't get any ride photos to come through to remind me.

We bid farewell to MK and made our way over to Epcot via the monorail for an evening of grazing and more Broadway! Details to follow....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom