An added wrinkle on the Avatarland front

bhg469

If anybody has the right to say they were ripped off it's the writers of Ferngully.

If you didn't say it already I was going to. Ferngully would probably be a better fit and dare I say it more popular with a broader audience. I have nothing against the parks doing something extreme but Ifeel like this franchise is going to be another Matrix. Where the first movie was groundbreaking then the rest of the series fell off the map.

Kirk88

I'm actually eager to see how they run with the Avatar ball (both Disney & Cameron). I can see the Imagineers coming up with some amazing stuff to develop around the story and characters. With James Cameron, I want to see where he goes with the movie series next. I'd hate to see it end up a way too deep, confusing ball of garbage like the Matrix (sorry, I didn't care for the series....remember, just my opinion). I agree with an earlier post. Why did it take so long for this guy to come out of the woodwork? Avatar made a ton of money in the theater. On that note, is Disney involved in the next 2 movies? I say 2 because the rumor was that Cameron was going to film the next 2 movies at the same time.

NoChesterHester

This movie came out three, almost four years ago. Why are we just hearing from this guy?
Has to be more to it.

Usually you don't sue on day one. You try to deal with the issue first. Send letters, call, they to meet, have your attorney send letters. Lawsuit is usually the last step.

lebeau

You notice how this isn't even remotely news? That's because it happens every day in Hollywood.

Either the guy has no case and his suit will be thrown out or the guy has a case in which case Cameron will settle. Won't impact the Disney deal in the slightest.

redshoesrock

You notice how this isn't even remotely news? That's because it happens every day in Hollywood.

Either the guy has no case and his suit will be thrown out or the guy has a case in which case Cameron will settle. Won't impact the Disney deal in the slightest.

This.

BenS

One of two things is likely: either this will just go away completely, or Cameron & Co. will settle and this guy will walk away with a seven or eight figure paycheck.

It's extremely unlikely anything will happen to cause the Avatarland project to be cancelled.

As to the lawsuit, if Ryder's allegations are true I think he has a very valid case. However he might be exaggerating or twisting the facts, so I can't judge either way.

trr1

then we can move tink and the other fairies there for a meet and greet:hurl: if they put in ferngully

AEfx

Uh...most of us found out about it in news headlines the day it was announced. I read it, came here, and saw a thread about it already.

It will be in the news again when something newsworthy happens. It's not like they are going to have day to day updates - there is nothing to update until the trial begins or a settlement is reached.

Though, it does speak to the relative obscurity Avatar is already experiencing in some way - if it was Star Wars, the fan sites would be all over it. This, not so much as...no one really cares about Avatar, LOL.

As to it's effect, I agree it could all go away - the guy could be lying, or they could settle. But...it depends on how po'd this guy is. If he really felt he was wronged and out for blood (and he should be, IMO, the way Cameron went on and on about how he was responsible for this self-proclaimed epic masterpiece) an injunction or partial ownership should a judge side with him could very well put the brakes on, in some respect. It's at least been discussed in Anaheim, trust me.

lebeau

The lawsuit over Pirates of the Caribbean made bigger headlines and it disappeared quietly enough. Same thing will happen here. Maybe the guy will get paid, maybe he won't. Given Cameron's track record, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a tidy sum to shut up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom