Amtrak Credit Card and Auto Train

slappy magoo

Original Poster
Hey there hi there ho there,

So I need another credit card like I need another hole in the head - I already have 17 after all...
(is he saying he has 17 credit cards or 17 holes in his head?) (SHHHHHH! I want to see where he's going with this).

ANYWAY, before I was so rudely interrupted, my lovely wife Slapette has little interest in the AutoTrain if we're riding coach. She's worried about what happens if the someone destroys the bathrooms in our car, AND she admits she'd feel vulnerable and be unable to sleep knowing people are walking right past us and our kids while we doze. And while I think the AutoTrain is the sort of car that'll be filled with momma and daddy grizzlies who will castrate without trial anyone who even thinks about causing harm to a kid, I don't want her to be uncomfortable. The whole idea of taking the AutoTrain after all is to be able to take it easier on the way there or home without having to drive but having access to your car once there.

But getting a room or two roomettes means at least doubling the price.

So Amtrak has their credit card where you can amass points for travel. It's $80 to get the card. The interest rate, depending on your credit rating, ranges from obscene to OMG are you frakking kidding me? But once we charge $1000 on it, we'll get 20000 points plus an upgrade and a free companion fare, which all told should pretty much cover our room on the train. We'd still have to pay to transport the car but it's a savings of at least 700 when all is said and done.

Get the card, use it enough to get the points, keep it balance free for a year and cancel? Or just forget it? What do you think?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom