American Sports Centers in Anaheim is closing - OCR/SCNG

Ismael Flores

Only kind of related, but apparently across the street there is a new residential development replacing the old commercial space. I just took notice of this today, but this article is from January. It is next to the new Radisson Blu.

I like this part of the article

"Two residents voiced their dislike of the project at the council meeting because of the development’s proximity to the freeway."

First thing i thought - why do these two residents care? how does this development being closed to a freeway impact them? Shouldn't that be the problem or decision of the people that will eventually live there to buy or not to buy?

Its not like their main concern was impact on traffic or other things that might affect them personally.

It amazes me what people will complain about even if it will not impact them directly. or am did i miss something when reading that article?

choco choco

I like this part of the article

"Two residents voiced their dislike of the project at the council meeting because of the development’s proximity to the freeway."

First thing i thought - why do these two residents care? how does this development being closed to a freeway impact them? Shouldn't that be the problem or decision of the people that will eventually live there to buy or not to buy?

Its not like their main concern was impact on traffic or other things that might affect them personally.

It amazes me what people will complain about even if it will not impact them directly. or am did i miss something when reading that article?

People care about other people (how novel!). People care about public health and not setting precedent of allowing business to force people into worse health outcomes (Caring for you fellow man! That's Anti-Capitalist!). I too really hate housing next to the freeway, because it has been a proven health hazard, and I really wish cities would zone that housing cannot be within a certain distance to freeways.

Ismael Flores

People care about other people (how novel!). People care about public health and not setting precedent of allowing business to force people into worse health outcomes (Caring for you fellow man! That's Anti-Capitalist!). I too really hate housing next to the freeway, because it has been a proven health hazard, and I really wish cities would zone that housing cannot be within a certain distance to freeways.
Southern California is surrounded by freeways in every major city, it is also railroad sites that also have issues.

The whole area is a valley that traps those same polutions miles away. putting laws into effect that prohibit housing near a freeway would decrease the amount of valuable space for housing. All it would do is have cities expand out into the already delicate mountain range and desert areas. It solves nothing if we keep diminishing the land that cleans our airs and just puts people in more danger due to the rise of fires in those areas.

The solution is not to put more limits on growth within urban areas but instead finding ways of decreasing the air issues within those area. Housing developments required to be more energy efficient and to have plenty of green space to help with minimize air pollution. There are always middle grounds that can accomplish both goals.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom