American Idol Experience To Close

Kman101

So is the plan still to move the Frozen sing-a-long there? It makes sense because of the location and they have the fastpass+/standby queuing areas outside.

wdwfan4ver

So is the plan still to move the Frozen sing-a-long there? It makes sense because of the location and they have the fastpass+/standby queuing areas outside.
It still might be based on what the Orlando Theme park news website mentioned on January 31st this year.

The Orlando Theme park news website on January 31st had some news on that building.
The Website claimed Walt Disney World Resort announced internally that the vacant Superstar Television Theater (a large entertainment venue located at Disney's Hollywood Studios that housed The American Idol Experience) is currently a construction zone, and work on a new experience officially begun. The site mentioned this might be the new location of Frozen Sing-a-long.

Last edited:

KrazyKat

ABC is bringing back American Idol (don't shoot the messenger). Of course, ABC is Disney. Wonder if this means something coming back to Hollywood studios?

For the record I personally think the show had run its course and the ratings showed it.

Kman101

It did run it's course, but having the same type of winner for a majority of the seasons due to the little girls who vote got annoying as well. Talented singers dropped to the wayside because they couldn't get the votes. Made for frustrating season after season.

It's ratings dropped, no show gets the same ratings they once did. But it still had more viewers than a lot of shows currently on the air ... they'd be wise to reboot it with former contestants like Kelly Clarkson and Adam Lambert as judges. It could work again, but it's still a bit too soon, but it's coming back so oh well ...

This will probably get moved, BTW ...

disney4life2008

It did run it's course, but having the same type of winner for a majority of the seasons due to the little girls who vote got annoying as well. Talented singers dropped to the wayside because they couldn't get the votes. Made for frustrating season after season.

It's ratings dropped, no show gets the same ratings they once did. But it still had more viewers than a lot of shows currently on the air ... they'd be wise to reboot it with former contestants like Kelly Clarkson and Adam Lambert as judges. It could work again, but it's still a bit too soon, but it's coming back so oh well ...

Gawd I hope not. We already had the AI Experience which was a dismal failure at Hollywood Studios. CMs practically begged people to sign up then beg for audience members. This is a horrible show that was great in the beginning when REAL TALENTED singers won; but when it came about the story and fan boys, the show went to the dumps. And please no Ryan Seacrest he is the worst.

But knowing ABC Disney, they will gladly use up prime HS space to promote this garbage

Biff215

I highly doubt Disney would go back to this. As others have pointed out, they had lots of issues with the show during its previous run. Plus the park is clearly moving in another direction.

I'm surprised ABC is picking this back up. I'll admit I watched quite a few seasons of AI, but it definitely lost something in the final seasons. Perhaps it just ran its course, but it also became quite expensive to keep the celebrity host and judges around. I expected a Netflix or Amazon reboot honestly, but I guess ABC really wants something like the Voice and this is easier than starting from scratch.

disneygeek90

Gawd I hope not. We already had the AI Experience which was a dismal failure at Hollywood Studios. CMs practically begged people to sign up then beg for audience members. This is a horrible show that was great in the beginning when REAL TALENTED singers won; but when it came about the story and fan boys, the show went to the dumps. And please no Ryan Seacrest he is the worst.

But knowing ABC Disney, they will gladly use up prime HS space to promote this garbage
Maybe in the last one or two years, but in the earlier years I remember sign ups and registrations actually going very quick. The "audition" process wasn't as simple as it seemed. My mom made it on the show once and I was able to go backstage with her for tryouts. She went through at least 2 (I think maybe 3?) auditions in front of different judges, including background music and non, had headphones to listen to the song to practice beforehand etc. Very immersive.

With that said, it was fun while it lasted but it definitely ran it's course.

Ryan H. Serowinski

ABC is bringing back American Idol (don't shoot the messenger). Of course, ABC is Disney. Wonder if this means something coming back to Hollywood studios?

For the record I personally think the show had run its course and the ratings showed it.
Not happening despite its revial, I rather see the Frozen Sing Along stay in the theater where it played, than bringing back an infamous stage show based off a TV show that came back from cancellation(to another network, which is ABC, a Disney owned company)

Chef Mickey

Its.

rael ramone

I saw a Seeking Alpha article suggesting that Ryan Seacrest joining Kelly Ripa is very much connected to Idol going to ABC. The article was from yesterday, when ABC/Idol wasn't a done deal yet.

A pronounced negative about the Studios in the relatively recent history is the garish promotion of ABC product around the studio. Mostly with tacky billboards, but in the recent past is was in other ways as well (they actually called a meal at the ABC Commissary the 'McSteamy'. :eek: )

I wonder if the changes to the studios will remove this stuff. If not, you can count on an American Idol billboard somewhere. (Ads in the Magical Motorcoaches are a given).

But as far as American Idol 'content' being in the parks, my non-insider Spidey Sense says a repeat of the AIE won't happen, but they might try to do 'something' themed to it, and it won't necessarily be in the park that will cease to be called the Studios... meaning they could find a much worse place to add it...

Cmdr_Crimson

A pronounced negative about the Studios in the relatively recent history is the garish promotion of ABC product around the studio. Mostly with tacky billboards, but in the recent past is was in other ways as well (they actually called a meal at the ABC Commissary the 'McSteamy'. :eek: )
Yeeahh around late 07-08 was when they did this......Very unsettling...o_O

elchippo

Not happening despite its revial, I rather see the Frozen Sing Along stay in the theater where it played, than bringing back an infamous stage show based off a TV show that came back from cancellation(to another network, which is ABC, a Disney owned company)
I predict Sunset Showcase will host an el cheapo "American Idol" Karaoke Party...putting it there also places all the "music" attractions in the same area with RnRC close by....it'll be a joke of an "attraction" but will allow them to up the number of "attractions" in the park.

GrumpyFan

I predict Sunset Showcase will host an el cheapo "American Idol" Karaoke Party...putting it there also places all the "music" attractions in the same area with RnRC close by....it'll be a joke of an "attraction" but will allow them to up the number of "attractions" in the park.
It's not a bad idea, but I kinda doubt the Imagineers are going to look at this "renewal" anytime in the near future. They already have a full plate with everything else they're doing. However, it doesn't mean that Park ops and marketing might not try and host an audition event or two during the season to boost ratings and draw some extra people to the park.

Ryan H. Serowinski

Nice try, Disney doesn't consider doing it now(or ever!), but they could had increase the number of attractions in the past.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom