American Idol Attraction a bit too Late

DivineMadness7

I agree, but there are also people like my parents who are upset that Millionaire is closed. When I try to explain it to them, the fact that the show isn't nearly as popular anymore doesn't satisfy them. They still enjoyed it. Maybe this will be the same. It does seem like a lot of money, time, resources, to put into it....time will tell, I guess.

darthjohnny

As said in the article, it still has a high viewership.

I've know a few people that are having a hard time finding a favorite and this season is not that great because there are too many "professionals".

But I don't think this will affect the attraction in the same way that much. It'll still have a following and I think people could enjoy this type of show featuring people just like them.

DizneyPryncess

IMO, the show is winding down. Ryan Seacrest is starting to annoy people, Simons comments that were witty the first few seasons are now mostly repetitive and most of the Idol winners haven't done too much after the show. (Not including a few of course).

I personally used to worship AI, and after this year I have little desire to watch it. I think during season 2-3, this attraction would've been spectacular. But now, I think it is a little late.

MousDad

Boy, this was about as desperate digging for an angle as you could see in a piece of journalism.

The writer cited one show being down in ratings compared to last year, and then 2 or 3 individual demographics in separate shows being down. I don't think Fox will be hitting the panic button any time soon.

Number 1 is number 1. When it consistently gets challenged for the number 1 spot, then they will have a story to report.

Not an AI fan, per se. This writer just really seemed to be begging the question on this one.

JLW11Hi

As long as its a good, entertaining attraction, I'm fine with it.

But as far as marketing goes, it might be a concern at some point. If American Idol goes out of popularity sometime in the future, they can always change the name of the show to something else to break off its association with the show (like, The Ultimate Not-American-Idol Sing Off, or Hollywood Studios Singing Showdown, or...a name that is much better than those).

Either way, they will have a nice new theater for future show attractions.

JeffH

I just don't understand

I really don't understand why Disney isn't more on top of these things?
They usually have 1-4 years advance notice before a film's release, and hit's roll off their assembly line one after the other with barely more than an extra parade car at the Hollywood Studios parade (which with the Block Party Bash, now we won't even get that?!?).
If I were running things, a major new hit might result in a new FLOAT in a parade, or a new attraction somewhere, or show almost immediately, and in the case of a surprise hit, begin building something immediately. We're not necessarily talking E attraction; we're talking cross promotion and acknowledging what the present people are watching (movie...then DVD). The minor Narnia "attraction" was barely adequate (at least it was something)...considering the hit it became (and the sequels to come), this should have become a whole new land somewhere!!!
And with the years lead in for the Pixar hits, attractions should be up and running as they open in the theatre.
Although the end film in the Great Movie Ride and American Adventure get occasional updates, DISNEY is a film studio...these should be updated with each new film replacement, as updates become appropriate!!!
Disney needs to be more proactive, dynamic, and keep up-to-date.

WDWFREAK53

They built Who Wants to Be a Millionaire too late too.

You can't just take a fad or a trend and build an attraction from it.

There are "rules".

1. Build a completely new attraction based on original characters and original storyline.
2. Build an attraction that has a strong fanbase that has stood the test of time.
3. Build an attraction using "real-world" phenomena

American Idol is just a fad...it's a trend. It would be like building a "Growing Pains" ride. Sure, the people that love it will always like it...but you won't sway the people that don't like it and when it's gone, you want get new fans.

Now, for instance, Star Wars. That theme has stood the test of time and will always be a hit.

prberk

I really don't understand why Disney isn't more on top of these things?
They usually have 1-4 years advance notice before a film's release, and hit's roll off their assembly line one after the other with barely more than an extra parade car at the Hollywood Studios parade (which with the Block Party Bash, now we won't even get that?!?).
If I were running things, a major new hit might result in a new FLOAT in a parade, or a new attraction somewhere, or show almost immediately, and in the case of a surprise hit, begin building something immediately. We're not necessarily talking E attraction; we're talking cross promotion and acknowledging what the present people are watching (movie...then DVD). The minor Narnia "attraction" was barely adequate (at least it was something)...considering the hit it became (and the sequels to come), this should have become a whole new land somewhere!!!
And with the years lead in for the Pixar hits, attractions should be up and running as they open in the theatre.
Although the end film in the Great Movie Ride and American Adventure get occasional updates, DISNEY is a film studio...these should be updated with each new film replacement, as updates become appropriate!!!
Disney needs to be more proactive, dynamic, and keep up-to-date.

I really understand and mostly agree with you. Walt himself used his Sunday night program (Disneyland and later Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color -- which became the Wonderfuld World of Disney after his death) to show off his next projects, both film and parks. He loved his projects and it showed. He made us want to see them.

Disney should still pay attention to this, both with television and the parks -- but in a sincere way, just was Walt did -- not in the gimmicky, annoying, insincere way that they sometimes use the Disney Channel to do.

Done well, synergy between the resorts and their film products (and television) is an amazing marketing tool that strengthens each part.

Paul

SpectroMan

Ratings may be down a little but it's still the #1 show on T.V every year, every week!!

Not every week. Last year's season finale was beat out by the LOST season finale that was on the same night. But I do agree, it is still the biggest show on television, and if they continue to find good talent, it will still be one of the biggest shows.

maryszhi

it will be interesting to see how long american idol lasts, as well as the show. i mean it will eventually get old( american idol) however, i dont think the ride/show itself will . i mean who wouldnt want to sing for prizes? just like who wants to be a millionare, it will last beyond its years.

maryszhi

Does anyone know what the attendance #s for Millionaire peaked at?
i think when the show was at its peak, the show saw the same(the attraction i mean) i remember when the show was popular, the lines for the disney version were long. but when the show began to go down the tubes, so did attendence. i think the only things packing people in were: heat/weather, trivia show, prizes, something to do as a diversion. i actually remember hearing a lady when the tv show was at its peak that the show attached to the show was the only reason her family went on the ride

askmike1

Not every week. Last year's season finale was beat out by the LOST season finale that was on the same night. But I do agree, it is still the biggest show on television, and if they continue to find good talent, it will still be one of the biggest shows.
Yeah, that is simply not true. Lost is my favorite show of all time and I can't stand Idol, but it is just downright wrong to say last year's Lost finale beat out American Idol. The Lost Finale drew 13,860,000 viewers while American Idol finale drew a gargantuan 30,730,000 viewers (or almost 3 times the amount). American Idol has been the Number 1 series on television since it's second season (1st season didn't really count because it was in the summer).

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/tv/la-et-channel21apr21,1,4430265.story

This article talks about how the ratings for American Idol have been dwindling this season. Does anyone else agree that Disney is building the new show a tad too late?
Dwindling? Can you really call a show dwindling when it is still the number 1 show on television and has a season average of 29 million viewers? The difference with Millionaire is that it was huge for 2 years and dragged for another 2. American Idol is in its 7 season and still strong.

CTXRover

I agree that an AI attraction is a little too late. It should have been done several years ago. However, the good news is that American Idol, while ratings are down, is still the #1 and #2 show on TV, every week, when it is on the air. Ratings are down for nearly all shows on network TV this season for varying reasons, with some just re-starting this week after the strike. I don't know what type of licensing fee Disney is paying to use the "American Idol" name, but the show itself sounds to be relatively simple with little needed investment with the exception of a new set, perhaps some new audio and video equipment and a re-done outside. It will likely have a good shelf life of at least 2-3+ more years which should be long enough to cash in on the investment. Either way, its a smart thing to be tied in with America's #1 show, particularly a show that plays up the whole "Hollywood" thing. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if I'm enthused about the premise of the attraction (watching other guests sing), but look forward to seeing something else new at the Studios later this year.

I am a big fan of LOST, and I know it didn't beat American Idol last year. I googled it and found that Lost attracted an average of 14 million people over its two hour season finale. In contrast, the American Idol season 6 finale averaged 30.7 million. Still, I'd rather a Lost attraction myself ;)

Sherrybaby

Ah, this is like the downfall of Survivor. I mean, truly there are only so many things that human beings can say and/or do in controlled enviornments. It gets boring. We used to count the minutes to Survivor, but it lost it's glow. Idol is on the way to that grave of TV discontentment. I miss our Survivor nights but it's the same thing over and over now--same with Idol. You can only insult people in so many ways over 7 seasons before people start to <yawn>.

As far as the WDW attraction, if my health will allow me I'd like to do this. I used to sing in a band and I always sing at parties, etc when I can. I think I'd have a shot at this if they don't start the maximum age crap and stuff with it.

Sherry

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Since Idol is a series that builds on itself during the season, I doubt it can be as overplayed as Millionaire was. They could film as many new episodes of that as they wanted. However, the attraction is a bad idea. Why would you pay the mouse to do glorified karoke? Between development, construction, and just getting the rights for American Idol, Disney is spending money that is desperately needed elsewhere. Bad call, Disney, bad call.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom