American Idol Attraction a bit too Late

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Since Idol is a series that builds on itself during the season, I doubt it can be as overplayed as Millionaire was. They could film as many new episodes of that as they wanted. However, the attraction is a bad idea. Why would you pay the mouse to do glorified karoke? Between development, construction, and just getting the rights for American Idol, Disney is spending money that is desperately needed elsewhere. Bad call, Disney, bad call.

I'm sitting here reading and guess what thought just occurred to me?

Which is really worse - the empty theater or the crapfest starring Drew Carey right next door? I actually vote Drew Carey crapfest.

BSikor

I'm sitting here reading and guess what thought just occurred to me?

Which is really worse - the empty theater or the crapfest starring Drew Carey right next door? I actually vote Drew Carey crapfest.

:lol: I agree but it looks like Disney is just turning that whole building into a flaming box of poo. Bring back SuperStar Television! :ROFLOL:

My take is that AI this year is as good as previous years, however the superstars they seem to have this year (Archuleta, Cook, IMHO) seem not to be as exciting, although they are very, very talented.

Plus there have been some not so popular changes this year. Even Simon said that having them sing Beatles for two weeks is a bit much.

I have to agree with the "too late" concept too, to a certain extent. Disney has a way of making things work, even if the show is not.

BRER STITCH

However, the attraction is a bad idea. Why would you pay the mouse to do glorified karoke? Between development, construction, and just getting the rights for American Idol, Disney is spending money that is desperately needed elsewhere. Bad call, Disney, bad call.

AMEN!

No matter how you slice it, this "attraction" has diminished the quality of the Disney BRAND - something it does not need now... or ever!

It's bad enough they are peddling their OWN questionable "entertainment" properties like "High School Musical" and "Hanna Montana" to the point of saturation. Was there really a need to do the same with AI?

The whole thing wreaks of despair and laziness on the part of Imagineering.

Where's the creativity boys?...where's the creativity????

:shrug:

PhilharMagician

That is a cursed building. It now holds Sounds Dangerous and soon American Idol. There must be a black cloud floating overhead. I don't have much confidence in AI, since I personally do not like the show. I wish they would have just bulldozed the area and started over with a completely new attraction concept. However this a studio park and TV tie-ins will always be around.

WDWFREAK53

That is a cursed building. It now holds Sounds Dangerous and soon American Idol. There must be a black cloud floating overhead. I don't have much confidence in AI, since I personally do not like the show. I wish they would have just bulldozed the area and started over with a completely new attraction concept. However this a studio park and TV tie-ins will always be around.

A GMR style ride showcasing the television greats would've been MUCH better. It didn't need to be a slow moving theater style attraction. Each ride vehicle could've been the typical "living room" with a couch, a coffeetable, an endtable with a lamp...and each show-set could've been shown in a larger than life television. Depending on the era...the television show-set "frame" could've been built to look like the technology of the times.

So much potential...and they throw in American Idol.

askmike1

Can we all put a little perspective into this conversation. Disney is putting a new show into an EMPTY theater. They are not taking anything else down. They are not spending tens of millions of dollars on it. American Idol is also a show loved by millions. This isn't the first non-Disney property placed in the Studios and it certainly won't be the last.

AMEN!

No matter how you slice it, this "attraction" has diminished the quality of the Disney BRAND - something it does not need now... or ever!

It's bad enough they are peddling their OWN questionable "entertainment" properties like "High School Musical" and "Hanna Montana" to the point of saturation. Was there really a need to do the same with AI?

And damn Walt for putting in attractions that related to Snow White, Dumbo, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and more! Why couldn't he be more original instead of just saturating the properties he had?

In short he was just downright lazy?

Where's the creativity Walt?...where's the creativity????

:rolleyes:

Just because you may not like shows like Hannah Montana, HSM & American Idol doesn't mean there aren't MILLIONS of others who do.
AI and SD are in two different theaters. Sounds Dangerous is in the ABC Sound Studio while American Idol will be in the former ABC Theater.

WDWFREAK53

Can we all put a little perspective into this conversation. Disney is putting a new show into an EMPTY theater. They are not taking anything else down. They are not spending tens of millions of dollars on it. American Idol is also a show loved by millions. This isn't the first non-Disney property placed in the Studios and it certainly won't be the last.

And damn Walt for putting in attractions that related to Snow White, Dumbo, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and more! Why couldn't he be more original instead of just saturating the properties he had?

In short he was just downright lazy?

Where's the creativity Walt?...where's the creativity????

:rolleyes:

Just because you may not like shows like Hannah Montana, HSM & American Idol doesn't mean there aren't MILLIONS of others who do.

AI and SD are in two different theaters. Sounds Dangerous is in the ABC Sound Studio while American Idol will be in the former ABC Theater.

For me and the people I travel with...the only thing good about it is that it will shorten lines everywhere else in the park. I applaud them for using an unused building, but wish they had gone to the "idea bin" a few more times.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
It would be like building a "Growing Pains" ride. Sure, the people that love it will always like it...but you won't sway the people that don't like it and when it's gone, you want get new fans.

I like this idea... go on... :lol::sohappy: :lookaroun

urbanvegan

AMEN!

Listen, I don't care for "American Idol" in the least, but is it that big a deal? I'm just not really going to see it.

And let's look at the attractions approved by Walt himself back in the day at Disneyland:

1965-1966, Monsanto's Fashions and Fabrics through the Years
1955-1960, Aluminum Hall of Fame
1955-1963, Dutch Boy Color Gallery
1956-1960, Crane Company Bathroom of Tomorrow

Just to name a few.

Relax: If the Disney brand can survive an "Aluminum Hall of Fame", I think we'll be safe! :ROFLOL:

lpet11984

They built Who Wants to Be a Millionaire too late too.

You can't just take a fad or a trend and build an attraction from it.

There are "rules".

1. Build a completely new attraction based on original characters and original storyline.
2. Build an attraction that has a strong fanbase that has standed the test of time.
3. Build an attraction using "real-world" phenomena

American Idol is just a fad...it's a trend. It would be like building a "Growing Pains" ride. Sure, the people that love it will always like it...but you won't sway the people that don't like it and when it's gone, you want get new fans.

Couldn't agree more-- you hit the nail right on the head. Millionaire didn't last and neither will this. I'm personally not an AI fan, so it won't be an attraction I visit, but hopefully those who do follow AI will enjoy it.

MousDad

I'm curious about something. I am purely ignorant, because I never saw WWTBAM or was at the Studios during its run.

Did they actually close the attraction because of a lack of interest? Were they having trouble filling up the seats on a daily basis near the end? Or did they just close it after the tv show went daytime only?

darthjohnny

Did they actually close the attraction because of a lack of interest? Were they having trouble filling up the seats on a daily basis near the end? Or did they just close it after the tv show went daytime only?

Millionaire was still open after the show went to daytime TV and Regis was no longer the host.

It eventually closed a few years after the show changed times. Probably because it didn't draw the attendance it once did (although I heard the one in DCA closed because they lost the contract over there :shrug:).

Plus you have to factor in the fact that they had something to easily replace it (Toy Story Mania). Otherwise, I could see it still being kept open, at least seasonally.

MousDad

Plus you have to factor in the fact that they had something to easily replace it (Toy Story Mania). Otherwise, I could see it still being kept open, at least seasonally.

That was my inclination too. Most people around here make it sound like WWTBAM closed because it had run its course, people lost interest, tv show was cancelled, etc. If what you're implying is true, the demise of the show and the demise of the attraction were loosely related if not completely unrelated.

Which is another reason why I think that the AI attraction (if it's good on its own merit) will be around, and successful, for a long time, regardless of whenever AI's final season is.

jakeman

Guys, there is too much logic and facts in this thread.

How dare you do research on ratings and past tie-in attractions. How dare you point out that someone's opinion may not be fact.

I am disappointed in all of you.

When I click on a new attraction thread, I expect to see lamentations of it being the doom of the company. Also how it was not in line with the parks original vision.

I expect to see phrases like "how could the imangineers be so dumb" and "Walt wouldn't have wanted this". I expect to see words like "disaster" and "horrible".

Finally, probably the biggest insult of all, no one has yet to tie it back to EPCOT Center.

This is too civil for an attractions thread. I am ashamed of all of you...

:animwink:Kidding of course...

I'm not a big fan of the AI and probably will avoid this attraction. I agree that it seems that they are jumping on the bandwagon a little late here. However, they are adding an attraction to an abandoned space of the park which will now eat people:slurp:. It could be the Bathroom of the Future as long as it takes some folks out of the RnR line...

RSoxNo1

What I actually hope for is that they allow crappy singers to go onto the show and have some fun as well.

I want to go on and sing, "I AM YOUR BROTHER!!! YOUR BEST FRIEND FOREVER!!!"

fillerup

I actually had another thought about this - the cruelty potential.

I can imagine the loving, but deluded parents of an untalented child pushing them on stage to mangle "Somewhere Over the Rainbow", only to be greeted by howls of laughter.

I see years and years of trauma therapy ahead.

MousDad

I actually had another thought about this - the cruelty potential.

I can imagine the loving, but deluded parents of an untalented child pushing them on stage to mangle "Somewhere Over the Rainbow", only to be greeted by howls of laughter.

I see years and years of trauma therapy ahead.

Or "Power of Love."

Seriously, this concern comes up frequently. I'm hopeful the "negative" aspects of the real American Idol experience will be imagineered out of the attraction. My guess is there will be CM MC's who will do everything to keep the atmosphere fun, not demeaning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom