American Airlines and Kids

5thGenTexan

Original Poster
AA says this on their website with my emphasis on "May"

You may have to present proof of age like a birth certificate for any children under the age of 18.

Last time we flew it was to DLR on SWA in 2016 and didnt need documents for the kids.

Do I need to go prepared with birth certificates? Its not a problem, just something I need to know for sure.

RememberWhen

We usually travel with the kids’ passport cards, but I don’t think you’ll be asked for proof of age unless you’ve got kids who are 16ish and should have an ID or kids who are very young and you’re trying to do lap baby seating.
That being said, if that’s their policy I assume they can ask if they want regardless. We like to have IDs for the kids. Just makes things easier.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I've never been asked, but it doesn't hurt to bring some ID for the kiddos.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Be prepared to show all your papers, including your internal travel passport, before you try to get on an airplane.

Weather_Lady

We were never asked, but we always had some sort of ID for the kids on us (copies of their birth certificates, and later on, their school IDs), just in case.

FWIW, the makeup of your family can sometimes be a trigger for additional scrutiny. While we've never had to prove our kids' identities, some friends of ours whose children are a different race than they are get asked for that sort of thing more often when they travel internationally (due to kidnapping concerns, I presume, since airport staff can tell at a glance that they are not the kids' birth parents).

Last edited:

jaklgreen

My kids are in their 20s now and I have been flying with them at least once a year since they were a year old. Not once has anyone asked us to see their ID. When they got into their late teens, the TSA agent would ask their age and if they were under 18, they didn't ask for any ID. No airline has every asked either. Of course it goes without saying that if you leave the Country, everyone needs a passport.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom