News American Adventure Refurb, New Projectors and Ending Video

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
On the bright side, going to digital projection will greatly enhance the overall show.
Most of the show scenes feature still backgrounds, and on many of them (Valley Forge, the Exposition, etc.) the constant film grain of the background is highly distracting, at least to me.
This, and the fact the projection jumps around so much. One of AmAds inventions was a special projector gate that locked the film in position as it ran through the gate so the image was rock solid. Needless to say it’s not worked for a long time. I’m looking forward to seeing the improvement.

the.dreamfinder

This, and the fact the projection jumps around so much. One of AmAds inventions was a special projector gate that locked the film in position as it ran through the gate so the image was rock solid. Needless to say it’s not worked for a long time. I’m looking forward to seeing the improvement.
Are they going to junk the 70mm projectors?

Figments Friend

Glad to hear this Show is getting some love.
The finale film needs the change, and the projection upgrade and other planned maintenance will be welcome.

Long live 'The American Adventure'.
After this, it should be good to run for another 35 years!
:)

-

Bairstow

I'm in the camp that thinks more show scenes are needed before the finale. A lot has happened since WWII. Too much to gloss over in a musical montage. Cold War? Space race? Civil rights movement? Digital Age? Lots of options.
Reengeering the stage train would be prohibitively expensive (if it were even possible), but what new scene would you add?
MLK's Lincoln Memorial speech? The first Castro Street Fair?

It's easy to see why the original attraction didn't have a space exploration scene it would have been supremely redundant- nearly all of 80's Epcot had a NASA launch scene or similar, and treated the image with near-religious reverance. If Epcot was a church, the space shuttle was its crucifix.

Bocabear

Reengeering the stage train would be prohibitively expensive (if it were even possible), but what new scene would you add?

It's easy to see why the original attraction didn't have a space exploration scene it would have been supremely redundant- nearly all of 80's Epcot had a NASA launch scene or similar, and treated the image with near-religious reverance. If Epcot was a church, the space shuttle was its crucifix.
OMG The First Castro Street Fair....LOL Animatronic Drag queens LOL!!

smile

Believe it or not, 70mm projected film is still superior to digital, laser included. Unfortunately, no one seems to want to take care of these projectors...

70mm
:inlove:

We already have one ;)
Ursula-Journey-of-the-Little-Mermaid-Magic-Kingdom-Attraction.jpg

51%2BgleLLAAL._SX342_.jpg

michmousefan

Even though it was nearly 50 years ago, I still think the Apollo 11 moon landing would be an impressive scene to try and replicate with a diorama/AA setup. Conceivably it could be accomplished with a minimal combination of stage props and projected backdrop, like the Valley Forge sequence. Use Kennedy AA at lectern giving the "We choose to go to the moon..." speech in the foreground stage right or left, with the lunar module descending main stage onto the moonscape. Then use the starfield backdrop as a transition to the finale film. Sure, it might feel a bit repetitive to have two presidents at podiums in the span of five minutes, they'd have to find ways to distinguish the two.

But I'm sure that a refurb like that would be much more along the lines of a six-month (or longer) job than a one-month timeframe. Sounds like new screen, projectors and finale are all we will get here. And that's not too shabby.

jt04

Even though it was nearly 50 years ago, I still think the Apollo 11 moon landing would be an impressive scene to try and replicate with a diorama/AA setup. Conceivably it could be accomplished with a minimal combination of stage props and projected backdrop, like the Valley Forge sequence. Use Kennedy AA at lectern giving the "We choose to go to the moon..." speech in the foreground stage right or left, with the lunar module descending main stage onto the moonscape. Then use the starfield backdrop as a transition to the finale film. Sure, it might feel a bit repetitive to have two presidents at podiums in the span of five minutes, they'd have to find ways to distinguish the two.

But I'm sure that a refurb like that would be much more along the lines of a six-month (or longer) job than a one-month timeframe. Sounds like new screen, projectors and finale are all we will get here. And that's not too shabby.

Apollo 11 belongs at the top of SSE.

Just a suggestion in case any of the Future World reimagining Imagineers ever drop in.

jt04

It's already in SSE on the TV. It could work very well in AA.

I just think it should be in the apex of SSE since it can be said to be the greatest technological achievement. That would make a better backstory than the current somewhat obsolete and somewhat forced SEE story in the latest iteration. IMO.

aladdin2007

Please add John Williams. A new music recording would be welcome too. Epcot is actually getting some love in its more substantial areas. It’s exciting. Looking out for that seamless China film...

I was wondering today where that stands right now, still forthcoming?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom