Amazing quality Horizons tribute

LAPVLB

:eek:

Wow. That was fantastic. No joke.

Even though I was only 6 or 7 when I last rode it, that sparked some faint memories. Especially the "choose your ending" panels in the cars. That's the strongest memory of the whole thing I have.

Thanks for those, merf. Excellent find! :sohappy:

GymLeaderPhil

A very good job of editing in promotional material and the audio is really decent. Is that a text-to-speech program acting as the narrator? So cool. I'll have to check out this author's other videos when I'm not dead tired.

DougK

I was never able to go to WDW as a child. My first trip was only a few years ago when I was already in my 40s so I never had a chance to ride Horizons. Why did they take that away? It seems so "Disney" to me. I am not a thrill ride person so the more dark rides that aren't fast moving the better. Plus it was educational too. That seems to fit the spirit of EPCOT nicely.

I am far from a Disney basher, for example I like the new SSE refurb (though they could have chosen a better narrator) but I sure hate to see EPOCT without this attraction.

Here is a stupid question, would they ever rebuild this? Or at least something similar? Or are those days gone forever?

This is a really great horizons tribute site: http://horizons1.com/

it has a really good ride through, plus you can listen/download the original audio from horizons and spaceship earth

the site has good pictures and the history of the attraction

Thiger

Thank you thank you thank you!

I was having a pretty bad morning and this totally cheered me up!

Horizons was my favorite ride as a kid! I looked forward to riding it just as much as POTC, HM and 20K.

Wow, so many memories.

I remember one time we had a night to kill so my brothers and I ride Horizons like 6-7 times in a row, taking the different route at the end each time.

THanks,

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Interesting observation, Merf. I helped Al make this video, and was sure also his Omni was static or in creep mode. He assures me it wasn`t!

Why did they take that away?
Contrary to myth, there were no sinkholes, structural failures or collapsing buildings. GE pulled its sponsorship in October 1993, and the attraction limped on unsponsored. Eisner ordered a complete rehab proposal but rejected it on the cost without a sponsor to pay. The long-dormant Space Pavilion was again looked at and as development progressed the building would have been reused for version 2 of Journeys in Space. Compaq were interested, but in using only the preshow of JIS v3 - The centrifuge. Finally with someone to pay, Horizons was removed and v4 of the new Space Pavilion was built.
In a nutshell.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Interesting observation, Merf. I helped Al make this video, and was sure also his Omni was static or in creep mode. He assures me it wasn`t!

Contrary to myth, there were no sinkholes, structural failures or collapsing buildings. GE pulled its sponsorship in October 1993, and the attraction limped on unsponsored. Eisner ordered a complete rehab proposal but rejected it on the cost without a sponsor to pay. The long-dormant Space Pavilion was again looked at and as development progressed the building would have been reused for version 2 of Journeys in Space. Compaq were interested, but in using only the preshow of JIS v3 - The centrifuge. Finally with someone to pay, Horizons was removed and v4 of the new Space Pavilion was built.
In a nutshell.
martin... this is deja vu. :D

great vids. ill have to watch all the way through in a bit.

EPCOT Explorer

In a nutshell.

Sad.:cry:

Seems we have alot of "bring back retro EPCOT" threads lately...I'm liking this.

dandaman

I think I may have ridden it a couple of times between '94 and '99... but I don't remember a thing about it. Prior to joining here a few years ago, Horizons was one of few attractions I knew absolutely nothing about, other than it was where Mission: Space is now.

If it's wrong to miss an attraction I don't remember, I don't want to be right.

Great stuff.

imamouse

Martin - I saw a credit to you and to Lou Mongello (and of course Frank McGinnis) at the end. Well done - cheers.

DonaldD1987

Great job with the Videos.

I really wish I was able to go to WDW in the 80s early 90s because I love all of the old time stuff at the world from seeing a bunch of the videos and reading all of the books. I wish I was able to experience it in person instead of just watching videos on it.

Jerm

You also have to remember that while we all loved that attraction it was a HUGE space in Epcot that was almost always empty. I know that is not a reason to tear down something that amazing, but it's like having a empty house that you have to pay millions for each year but you never use it. You have to give it up some time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom