Amazing quality Horizons tribute

hpyhnt 1000

The closest thing I will get to experiencing this legendary attraction. Even with just the videos, I can see how great this attraction was. It really did exemplify the original ideals and goals of EPCOT Center.

LordHelmut

My two year old gets this ride....

My two year old has just finished watching the video, and sat mesmerized thru all three videos.....

She went, WOW when the space scenes came on... now I have to play it again. It is a shame that I cannot take her to see the original.

Say what you will about being out-of-date, but I do not seem to recall any space colonies, underwater habitats, and only a few desert projects similar to the ride......

SDav10495

As someone who can never keep his thoughts brief, I've spoken over and over...at length...on the subject of "EPCOT Center vs. Epcot". But after watching this tribute just now (I've seen it a couple of times in the past few days), only one thought comes to mind:

I just want to get on a ride at WDW these days and be able to really dream again.

:(

DisneyAnole

Anyone else think the Omnimax score from Horizons is one of the best pieces of EPCOT music?

I think the haunting music combined with the sheer size of the screens really added a lot to the Horizons experience.

SweetMagic

Oh Meyla Weyla
Boy do those videos take you back or what... I swear I could smell the oranges :cry:

Horizons was one of those attractions that you could ride over and over again and it never got boring. How sad that it's gone, but how happy I am to be able to re-live it through video.

Thanks for the memories.

SDav10495

Anyone else think the Omnimax score from Horizons is one of the best pieces of EPCOT music?

I think the haunting music combined with the sheer size of the screens really added a lot to the Horizons experience.

Agreed...the Omnimax music is really terrific. It's so hard, though, to single out just one piece of music from the Horizons score. The entire thing--including all queue and exit music (OK, maybe with the exception of the "50s" theme)--is just one of the best damn scores written for any Disney attraction ever.

It occurs to me every now and then when I'm watching a Horizons ride-through, and it occurred to me again tonight, that of all the themed rides in WDI's history, Horizons is probably the one most dependent on its score on the same level that a great film is. All the elements of a Disney classic are there--it's the peak of the "golden age" of long dark rides--but it would just be a completely different experience if the score hadn't hit exactly the right chord (pun intended?). With the wrong score Horizons could have been a pretty hokey piece of junk. Instead, the music manages to be sweeping, fun, pensive, thrilling, futuristic, grandiose, subtle, and pretty moving all at once. I'm certainly glad they scrapped the Sherman Brothers' original Horizons theme before opening (and I like that one, too).

I just can't imagine Horizons without that score. Is it bad that I'm almost happy they hadn't done the huge rehab Martin mentioned because it would have meant a new composition...even if that would have saved Horizon's life? :lookaroun

DisneyAnole

Agreed...the Omnimax music is really terrific. It's so hard, though, to single out just one piece of music from the Horizons score. The entire thing--including all queue and exit music (OK, maybe with the exception of the "50s" theme)--is just one of the best damn scores written for any Disney attraction ever.

It occurs to me every now and then when I'm watching a Horizons ride-through, and it occurred to me again tonight, that of all the themed rides in WDI's history, Horizons is probably the one most dependent on its score on the same level that a great film is. All the elements of a Disney classic are there--it's the peak of the "golden age" of long dark rides--but it would just be a completely different experience if the score hadn't hit exactly the right chord (pun intended?). With the wrong score Horizons could have been a pretty hokey piece of junk. Instead, the music manages to be sweeping, fun, pensive, thrilling, futuristic, grandiose, subtle, and pretty moving all at once. I'm certainly glad they scrapped the Sherman Brothers' original Horizons theme before opening (and I like that one, too).

I just can't imagine Horizons without that score. Is it bad that I'm almost happy they hadn't done the huge rehab Martin mentioned because it would have meant a new composition...even if that would have saved Horizon's life? :lookaroun

Oh, I agree the entire score is impressive. The atmospheric music found in the queue and outside the building, the "Space" score from the old Official Album, "New Horizons" of course...but for me the Omnimax has just the right balance of grandness and wonder, just a really poetic piece of music. The same kind of poetry that you can't really find in EPCOT anymore.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Aw I didn't think I missed Horizons all that much till I just watched that video. Now I wish it was still around for my kids to experience.

And wow, I don't remember it being so long! I had forgotten a lot of those scenes.
when sam went on her first trip in june '99ish, we were unaware that Horizons was getting demo'd. so, naturally on Epcot day i was pulling out all the old '94 park maps that i had the night before showing her what was in store for the next day. We rode SSE, UoE was getting "ellenfied" and then we saw it, the tornado through a trailer park look of Horizons. I really wish sam could have ridden it. she would have loved the underwater segment

Thiger

Man...what a trip down memory lane. I was 2 years into college the first and last time I rode Horizons. Watching those videos took me back to that time and age of my life when me and my buddies thought the world was there for our taking and nothing in our future was impossible. I hate to say this but I know now that that ride had a greater effect on my life than I ever thought it did..."If we can dream it we can live it"

Well Put. Now I kinda feel like Epcot is less like 'nothing in our future was impossible' to more like 'nothing in our future is 'unmarketable'

I miss Horizons. I love the Disney rides that really bring that sense of wonder and hope. At least we still have 'the Land'. What a great ride.

wendysmom

Thanks so much for finding these videos!! Horizons was my daughter's favorite ride in Epcot, and she will be thrilled to enjoy the ride again! Seeing it again honestly brought tears to my eyes! I love WDWmagic and all the wonderful posters here!!!:kiss:

BigKahuna

Awesome!

Thanks for the post! Horizons is the atraction I miss most. You know you had to ride it a few times, just to see the different endings! Thanks for the
great memories!

Now a question for you all- I went to DL many years ago, and I remember a
ride where you shrink and there was one part that a giant eye was looking
through telescope at you! Can anyone remember the name of that ride, and
is there a link to a ride-through to that?:shrug:

Rob562

Now a question for you all- I went to DL many years ago, and I remember a ride where you shrink and there was one part that a giant eye was looking through telescope at you! Can anyone remember the name of that ride, and is there a link to a ride-through to that?:shrug:

That was Journey Through Inner Space. It was the very first Omnimover attraction. It is where Star Tours is currently located in Disneyland.

Don't know of any ride-throughs, but I'm sure there's many out there. From what I've seen (and remmeber of it when I was a young kid), it was as trippy (or even more-so) than Magic Journeys.

-Rob

BigKahuna

Thanks Rob! Being on the East Coast, I never got to DL as much as WDW
so I didn't remember to much of the ride...but you are right from what I
remember it was very trippy!

Dragonrider1227

I never rode this. But now that I have an idea of what it was like, I can kinda see why you all miss it. It was a great concept with great visuals. On the other hand, I can also see why it eventually lost popularity. Those narrators alone are enough to keep me off it :lol:

CThaddeus

That was Journey Through Inner Space. It was the very first Omnimover attraction. It is where Star Tours is currently located in Disneyland.

Don't know of any ride-throughs, but I'm sure there's many out there. From what I've seen (and remmeber of it when I was a young kid), it was as trippy (or even more-so) than Magic Journeys.

-Rob

Adventure Thru Inner Space, actually. The best (the only, actually) video I've found was a tribute done by David Oneal at extinct-attractions-club.com. It's not free, though. It usually runs about $14.99, and it's good, but not perfect. The main problem with videotaping the attraction was that it was a very dark ride and camcorders weren't very good back in the early '80s. But you can definitely get a feel for what it was like. The queue alone made this attraction pretty amazing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom