Amazing quality Horizons tribute

kcnole

By the time it came down it was very dated, but that's because these rides in Futureworld were never meant to go so long relatively untouched. They were developed with a shelf life on maybe 10 years max and then would have to be updated to stay relevant. Horizons definitely could still be relevant had they wanted to spend the money. Instead they chose the thrill ride that never has a wait either. I can understand needing to get rid of one of the long dark rides. There really were probably one too many when you considered SSE, Horizons, and WoM. However I don't think they both had to go. The park hasn't been the same ever since we took both of those out.

cococola44

:eek:

Wow. That was fantastic. No joke.

Even though I was only 6 or 7 when I last rode it, that sparked some faint memories. Especially the "choose your ending" panels in the cars. That's the strongest memory of the whole thing I have.

Thanks for those, merf. Excellent find! :sohappy:

OMG Your picture is at the transit authority!!!! I LOVE THAT RIDE

Kwit35

*wipes tear from eye* What a great video. I miss this ride sooooo much. I always wished I could share this ride with my daughter, and now I can. After watching the video, she wanted to know why such a cool ride was gone. ...mmmm oranges...

Horizons1

Contrary to myth, there were no sinkholes, structural failures or collapsing buildings. GE pulled its sponsorship in October 1993, and the attraction limped on unsponsored. Eisner ordered a complete rehab proposal but rejected it on the cost without a sponsor to pay. The long-dormant Space Pavilion was again looked at and as development progressed the building would have been reused for version 2 of Journeys in Space. Compaq were interested, but in using only the preshow of JIS v3 - The centrifuge. Finally with someone to pay, Horizons was removed and v4 of the new Space Pavilion was built.
In a nutshell.

Martin, do you know more about the proposed rehab of Horizons? I remember reading it would have the obvious scene updates, but it would also encompass some brand-new, state of the art laser and show lighting. Don't know if there's any truth to that or not.

And can you tell us more about versions 2 and 3 of Journeys in Space? I believe version 2 was using Horizons' vehicle track to give the illusion of jetpacks in space, but how did 3 change from 4? Was it giving M:S it's own building?

disneytopdog

Man...what a trip down memory lane. I was 2 years into college the first and last time I rode Horizons. Watching those videos took me back to that time and age of my life when me and my buddies thought the world was there for our taking and nothing in our future was impossible. I hate to say this but I know now that that ride had a greater effect on my life than I ever thought it did..."If we can dream it we can live it"

CThaddeus

Perhaps they could rebuild it in DCA or whatever it will be called when the billion dollar refurb is done.

I like this idea and have wished it many times. While they're at it, they might as well put in World of Motion, Spaceship Earth (Jeremy Irons' version), Food Rocks!, Wonders of Life, and the original Journey Into Imagination. I'd love to have Ellen's Energy Adventure and an Ice Station Cool, too. Ah, to heck with it. I want an EPCOT Center by Disneyland.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Martin, do you know more about the proposed rehab of Horizons? I remember reading it would have the obvious scene updates, but it would also encompass some brand-new, state of the art laser and show lighting. Don't know if there's any truth to that or not.

And can you tell us more about versions 2 and 3 of Journeys in Space? I believe version 2 was using Horizons' vehicle track to give the illusion of jetpacks in space, but how did 3 change from 4? Was it giving M:S it's own building?
Details are a bit sketchy and I`m trying to find out more, but something like this...

Horizons was to get a major rehab, somewhere on the scale SSE had in 1994 - all show scenes refreshed, replaced effects, key AAs replaced with A-100s, new lighting and audio systems, updated score, several show scenes post Omnimax replaced, new high res finale films - bascially a good going over of the entire attraction. Before they pulled out, GE had several plans to update and expand their corporate lounge too.

Regarding JIS, version two appears to have been the update of version one, placed between Land and Seas. This version - or a hybrid of it - would possibly have been the one with a centrifuge preshow. There was more to do including several walk through environments as if you were in space, and an updated Omnimax vista from v1. Version 3 would have been in the Horizons show building. Escalators would have taken guests up from the entrance to a new first floor. Directly above this new entrance the Omnimax domes were to have been retained, with stadium seating where the ride path used to be for a new show. The seats would have been motion based - Soarin' wasn`t the first attempt by Disney! Towards the rear of the building would be the obligatory hands on exhibits and a `space colony`, and where the ride system would have been curtailed and retained, offering a `spacewalk` in suspended `spacesuits`.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Details are a bit sketchy and I`m trying to find out more, but something like this...

Horizons was to get a major rehab, somewhere on the scale SSE had in 1994 - all show scenes refreshed, replaced effects, key AAs replaced with A-100s, new lighting and audio systems, updated score, several show scenes post Omnimax replaced, new high res finale films - bascially a good going over of the entire attraction. Before they pulled out, GE had several plans to update and expand their corporate lounge too.

Regarding JIS, version two appears to have been the update of version one, placed between Land and Seas. This version - or a hybrid of it - would possibly have been the one with a centrifuge preshow. There was more to do including several walk through environments as if you were in space, and an updated Omnimax vista from v1. Version 3 would have been in the Horizons show building. Escalators would have taken guests up from the entrance to a new first floor. Directly above this new entrance the Omnimax domes were to have been retained, with stadium seating where the ride path used to be for a new show. The seats would have been motion based - Soarin' wasn`t the first attempt by Disney! Towards the rear of the building would be the obligatory hands on exhibits and a `space colony`, and where the ride system would have been curtailed and retained, offering a `spacewalk` in suspended `spacesuits`.
quite interesting to say the least....

jeffb

Very interesting - what could have been. sigh.

dxwwf3

As others have said, oh how nice that would have been. That would have been absolutely amazing and it probably could have recieved its second rehab (like SSE) by now and would still be my favorite attraction in the park. Don't get me wrong I love Mission Space (enough to have ridden it over 100 times with shirts, sweatshirts, and other merchandise in hand), but it is certainly not to the level of what an updated Horizons would have been.

PeeplMoovr

Hey Martin, when do you start writing your first WDW book/series of books? :p

I have an idea where we can get the money for start-up and production costs for a book deal. :animwink:

montyz81

Here is the difference between Horizons and Mission Space. Horizons was great for all ages and provided even those with pre-existing heart conditions a chance to see and feel what the future might be like. Mission space is a ride it once and you can say "been there done that" for those of us that have issues with centrifuges. I will never ride Mission Space again however I would keep going back on Horizons. Bring it back please Disney even if it is in some other park.

Laura

Premium Member
Aw I didn't think I missed Horizons all that much till I just watched that video. Now I wish it was still around for my kids to experience.

And wow, I don't remember it being so long! I had forgotten a lot of those scenes.

Horizons1

Wow, that's something I really would have loved to see. Horizons would have looked incredible. Pity.

Ah, and that's very interesting as well. JIS has to be one of my most favorite altered EPCOT pavilions. The designs and revisions really stand out to me for some reason. Especially the idea of fragmenting the Horizons building for a true pavilion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom