Am I spoiled by the Deluxe Resorts????

Missymoe4

Here's the scoop:
We are a family of 5. We stay at the Dolphin because of its proximity to everything (especially our favorite park, EPCOT). We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE being able to walk to EPCOT and HS. As our older kids get older we have come realize that we need TWO rooms to accomdate our needs. We have DD 1.5 DD 14 and DS 16. I am worried that we won't get the rates we desire from the Dolphin and we will have to book through Disney. Although many people love to book through Disney, for us needed 2 rooms we would have to stay at moderate resorts. We can't afford to stay in Deluxe resorts.

Moderate resorts are NOT within walking distance to EPCOT or HS. I have been looking into POFQ and CB resorts (as well as AOA and OKW).

Basically, I am wondering if I will be truly disappointed by staying at the Moderates bc of being spoiled by the Dolphin. I know I sound like a brat, but I would love to hear others view on this.

Thanks!

Well, why not book a DVC? Or look into the deluxe resorts that allow 5 people to stay in one room (Contemporary rooms are huge and allow 5 people to stay in a room). I don't understand why you would jump to two rooms when you can easily find deluxe resorts that allow 5 people to stay in a room.

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
Well, why not book a DVC? Or look into the deluxe resorts that allow 5 people to stay in one room (Contemporary rooms are huge and allow 5 people to stay in a room). I don't understand why you would jump to two rooms when you can easily find deluxe resorts that allow 5 people to stay in a room.

The last 3 times we went to Disney we stayed in separate rooms. This works out for us for many reasons:
1. We each have our OWN space... If they make a mess out of the bathroom then it's no big deal to me bc I have my own bathroom. lol
2. The older kids (16 & 14, a boy and a girl) do not particularly like sleeping in the same bed. They are both practically adults
3. We each have our own bathrooms... This is one of the best things!
4. When the baby naps they don't have to be quiet and we could potentially have another room to go into while she's asleep.

Going into a room where there is 2 queen beds (possibly full) does not make sense for our needs.
Plus, this may be the last time we all go as a family as we go every other year and the next time we go the oldest will be 18!!!

Plus, we spend less money on 2 rooms at the Dolphin than the cost of 1 Deluxe room!

polynesiangirl

I am a total hotel snob at WDW and elsewhere. Now that we have little kids, it's an even bigger deal to me because I like having multiple transportation options and being able to get "home" from the parks quickly.

Don't listen to me though. I'm one of those people that is a fool about hotels. "Look honey, we could pay an extra $100 a night and have a marginally fancier view from our room! WORTH IT."

DManRightHere

Here's the scoop:
We are a family of 5. We stay at the Dolphin because of its proximity to everything (especially our favorite park, EPCOT). We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE being able to walk to EPCOT and HS. As our older kids get older we have come realize that we need TWO rooms to accomdate our needs. We have DD 1.5 DD 14 and DS 16. I am worried that we won't get the rates we desire from the Dolphin and we will have to book through Disney. Although many people love to book through Disney, for us needed 2 rooms we would have to stay at moderate resorts. We can't afford to stay in Deluxe resorts.

Moderate resorts are NOT within walking distance to EPCOT or HS. I have been looking into POFQ and CB resorts (as well as AOA and OKW).

Basically, I am wondering if I will be truly disappointed by staying at the Moderates bc of being spoiled by the Dolphin. I know I sound like a brat, but I would love to hear others view on this.

Thanks!

The question is, how do you really feel about busses?

DManRightHere

I honestly worry that I could walk faster back to my hotel (from EPCOT or HS) than a bus could take me to somewhere like POFQ.

You speak the truth. For us, leaving the room, we're looking at up to 45 minutes to reach our destination. Sometimes much shorter. Hardly ever at the 15 minute mark though,

DManRightHere

I will tell you, I've stayed at Boardwalk, I hated it. My hate is based on the bus service elsewhere. I loved the boats and short walk to HS and Epcot though, but we usually spent our evenings at MK.

I have also stayed at AKL. They really have excellent bus service, but the resort if far from everything except AK. We still find it worth it.

I have also stayed at Coronado. Great bus service as well, granted there is not a massive convention going on.

I would actually prefer Coronado or PO, but we can get AKL cheaper.

Missymoe4

The last 3 times we went to Disney we stayed in separate rooms. This works out for us for many reasons:
1. We each have our OWN space... If they make a mess out of the bathroom then it's no big deal to me bc I have my own bathroom. lol
2. The older kids (16 & 14, a boy and a girl) do not particularly like sleeping in the same bed. They are both practically adults
3. We each have our own bathrooms... This is one of the best things!
4. When the baby naps they don't have to be quiet and we could potentially have another room to go into while she's asleep.

Going into a room where there is 2 queen beds (possibly full) does not make sense for our needs.
Plus, this may be the last time we all go as a family as we go every other year and the next time we go the oldest will be 18!!!

Plus, we spend less money on 2 rooms at the Dolphin than the cost of 1 Deluxe room!

Well, the male - female line up makes sense (I must have missed that in your original post). I still say go for a DVC. I have never tried them, but the one bedrooms seem to get rave reviews. Some even have two bathrooms, correct?

Anyhow, enjoy your trip!!

worldfanatic

The Dolphin is nice.
But aside from it's location, I certainly wouldn't rank it higher than any of the Disney Moderates.
Just my personal view.

NiarrNDisney

I would look into either getting a large Villa at one of the DVC/Resort properties, CSR, or a little off the beaten path if the girls don't mind sharing a bed try DTD's Doubletree Suites.

JusticeDisney

The Dolphin is nice.
But aside from it's location, I certainly wouldn't rank it higher than any of the Disney Moderates.
Just my personal view.
You're joking, right? The Dolphin is a true deluxe level resort. Heck, even Disney recognizes as much. The Dolphin absolutely blows every moderate out of the water.

JusticeDisney

What sort of amenities, features, or attributes allow the Dolphin, in your estimation, to blow, say, Coronado Springs "out of the water"?
Oh, I understand now. Sorry about that.

Anyway, no moderate can compare to the Dolphin when it comes to location, pools, restaurants, lobby, quality of beds, and views from the rooms. And, like I said, even Disney expressly recognizes on its official website that the Dolphin is a deluxe resort, a level above the moderates.

Last edited:

worldfanatic

You're joking, right? The Dolphin is a true deluxe level resort. Heck, even Disney recognizes as much. The Dolphin absolutely blows every moderate out of the water.
For amenities, sure.
If you're a business traveler type.....of course, you'll pick the Swan or Dolphin.
But as a die hard Disney World fan, the "Magic" of the Swan/Dolphin is considerably less than than the Deluxe experience, and IMO, also less than the Moderates.

Frankly, if I just wanted a high-end hotel, I probably would stay off property, there's better options for that.
But at WDW, I want the "Magic".
And Port Orleans, Coronado Springs, and the Caribbean Beach deliver that in larger amounts than Swan/Dolphin. For me at least.

As a very frequent Boardwalk Resort visitor, I often make my way over to the Swan & Dolphin to enjoy their great bars and restaurants.
But if given the opportunity, I'd never ever choose to stay there over any of the Moderates.
Not a chance.

JusticeDisney

For amenities, sure.
If you're a business traveler type.....of course, you'll pick the Swan or Dolphin.
But as a die hard Disney World fan, the "Magic" of the Swan/Dolphin is considerably less than than the Deluxe experience, and IMO, also less than the Moderates.

Frankly, if I just wanted a high-end hotel, I probably would stay off property, there's better options for that.
But at WDW, I want the "Magic".
And Port Orleans, Coronado Springs, and the Caribbean Beach deliver that in larger amounts than Swan/Dolphin. For me at least.

As a very frequent Boardwalk Resort visitor, I often make my way over to the Swan & Dolphin to enjoy their great bars and restaurants.
But if given the opportunity, I'd never ever choose to stay there over any of the Moderates.
Not a chance.
I always here people talk about the "magic" of a Disney owned hotel. So let me ask you this, what exactly is it that makes a Disney owned hotel feel "magical" to you? Surely, it must be more than a picture of Mickey on a wall?

Anyway, I prefer a quality And luxurious hotel over anything else. And to claim that a moderate is even close to the SD in that regard is just silly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom