What do I do?

• Invite them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't invite them

Votes: 14 100.0%

• Total voters

steviej

Original Poster
Ok, so I love the sometimes life talks that drift from Disney threads on here.

So here's my scenario. I'm married to the best person in the world, she makes me laugh and (usually) makes me feel like a million bucks.

So I turn the big 3-0 next month, it's a big bday, I'm actually having a hard time with it, but that's another thread lmao (I'm sure I'll be getting ripped for that one).

So my wife has two half brothers. And them and their ugly wives are the scum of the earth. We'll just call them, Jim, his wife Christine, Mark and his wife sheryl.

Jim and Christine have all the money in the world fyi.

They all only live about a 30 minute drive away at the most.

1) I had a seizure 3 years ago out of nowhere, I'm not epileptic, and I never had anything like that before. I dislocated my shoulder and had to have surgery. I was in the hospital for 5 days. None of them came to see me while I was in the hospital and after. Jim and Christine sent a little cookie basket to my house. But to me, that didn't mean jack since they have all the money in the world.

2) My Grandmother died 4 months before our wedding. She was my best friend. I was devastated. They couldn't be bothered to come to the wake or the funeral. Those classless pieces of (not very magical word) used their kids as an excuse. They wanted to do that? fine. But don't tell me that they are so busy that they couldn't take 30 seconds to send a text message.

3) In may of 2015, our dog passed away extremely unexpectedly. We were heartbroken, crushed, and devastated. Before our dog passed away, Christine had asked my wife to dog/house sit for them while they went on a vacation. We had said no because their dogs are the only dogs I've ever met that I hated. My wife even gave Christine the name of another dogsitter she knows. The dogsitter couldn't do all the days. After our dog passed away, Christine asked my wife if we could please just get the couple days that the other dog sitter couldn't cover.

My wife told her no because she didn't want to be around dogs right now. They were going away about a month after we lost our dog. Well, Christine ran up 1 side and down the other on my wife about how my wife needed to grow up, and sometimes you have to step up for family. My wife was hysterical crying.

PS: Jim and Christine wound up having to put their dog down the night before Thanksgiving 6 months later. I am really and truly an animal lover, but isn't karma beautiful? BTW, it's what was best for the dog, cause they should've put that poor thing down 2 years before because of how much it was suffering.

You get the picture.

Jim and Christine as well as their kids, Mark and Shery's kids were all in our wedding.

On Xmas eve, Jim asked my wife was anything happening for my birthday, it's 1/26.

For my bday, I just wanted my wife, her parents, my parents, and my aunt and uncle at dinner. But now because the prince opened his mouth, my wife wants to invite all of them. And honestly, I just can't stand the sight of them.

And I feel that if I don't want someone at my bday, then she shouldn't pressure me to have them there. Especially after all the bad blood. But not only that, I don't think they deserve to be there.

Would you guys give me your opinions please? I'm a big boy, I can take it.

Oh, and btw, we have never been asked to go out for any of their bdays. And 3 out of 4 of them hit 40 while we've been together.

Last edited:

rob0519

Ok, I voted don't invite them. It's your birthday and you obviously have a serious dislike of these people. That being said, you still need to get along with your wife. If you can't work this out with her, I'm afraid you're stuck spending your birthday with people you don't like to keep peace in your own house.

D

Deleted member 107043

No offense but you are as petty AF and I love it. :hilarious: Stand your ground and tell your wife that they aren't coming.

drizgirl

Sorry. Can't get past putting a dog down as "karma". And that was after choking my way past their "ugly wives".

You do sound quite petty so it's hard to have an opinion.

You are under no obligation to invite everyone to your party. That said, if you invite only part of the family, you are deepening the divisions in the family.

I'd probably choose to fly to Vegas for the birthday and avoid all of it.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
well there is certainly plenty of script worthy content here... don't think this is all so one sided... but it's dinner, not the Will... so just invite who you want. Bigger parties at Dinner = unmanagable anyways.

steviej

Original Poster
so since I've been called petty by a couple people here.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing that's so petty?

Because to me, not seeing me in the hospital isn't petty.

The fact that they couldn't be bothered to come to my grandmother's wake or funeral sure wasn't petty. (PS, her funeral was on a saturday.) AND not even a freaking text message!? Come on, that isn't unreasonable?

And I certainly don't think the anger I had toward my sister in law for being beyond heartless to my wife when our dog passed away wasn't heartless.

So someone tell me how I'm being petty? And I'm not trying to debate here, I just honestly don't see it.

drizgirl

The fact that they couldn't be bothered to come to my grandmother's wake or funeral sure wasn't petty. (PS, her funeral was on a saturday.)

And I certainly don't think the anger I had toward my sister in law for being beyond heartless to my wife when our dog passed away wasn't heartless.

So someone tell me how I'm being petty? And I'm not trying to debate here, I just honestly don't see it.

I think referring to putting down a dog as Karma is something. Maybe "petty" isn't the word but it's something.

Same with the comments about the "ugly" wives.

To be honest, comments like that make me question everything else you have to say.

steviej

Original Poster
I think referring to putting down a dog as Karma is something. Maybe "petty" isn't the word but it's something.

Same with the comments about the "ugly" wives.

To be honest, comments like that make me question everything else you have to say.

What would you call them having to put down their dog not even 6 months later? (mind you, that dog was in so much pain and should've been put down at least 2 years before)

And as far as calling the wives ugly? The truth hurts. They are lol

Nemo14

I think you have a lot of anger towards them, and you're letting it get the better of you. I've had family issues at times, some much more serious than others, til I finally woke up and realized that the only blood pressure rising was my own. If you don't want them at your birthday celebration, then just don't invite them or tell them you prefer the celebration to be small, and be done with it. Life is way too short to waste it on nonsense and hard feelings.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
What would you call them having to put down their dog not even 6 months later? (mind you, that dog was in so much pain and should've been put down at least 2 years before)

Since you asked....lol

1) I had a seizure 3 years ago out of nowhere, I'm not epileptic, and I never had anything like that before. I dislocated my shoulder and had to have surgery. I was in the hospital for 5 days. None of them came to see me while I was in the hospital and after. Jim and Christine sent a little cookie basket to my house. But to me, that didn't mean jack since they have all the money in the world.

PS: Jim and Christine wound up having to put their dog down the night before Thanksgiving 6 months later. I am really and truly an animal lover, but isn't karma beautiful?

Saying things like that can make you come off as sounding petty on a forum, especially when you mentioned more than once that they "have all the money in the world".

drizgirl

I would call it sad. Except that I probably wouldn't have commented on it at all.

Doubling down on a rude comment doesn't help your case.

flynnibus

Premium Member

The fact that they couldn't be bothered to come to my grandmother's wake or funeral sure wasn't petty. (PS, her funeral was on a saturday.) AND not even a freaking text message!? Come on, that isn't unreasonable?

The amount of anger in every label you use towards them... and justified with really lesser 'offenses' - that's what is petty.

petty is when you turn little things into big things

Your list of grievances are mainly about what you think they should have done.. vs what you actually 'needed'. Getting worked up over other people not behaving the same as you.. petty.

The list of grievances sounds like people that are not really emotionally in-sync.. that's fine.. but its the ANGER you generate from it that paints you poorly.

njDizFan

Maybe your family unity and structure is different from the way they go about things. Personally I think unless you build a bond with someone, family does not automatically mean they have to be your "friends". I have some in-laws that I do not care for at all, and others that are just passing acquaintances that I say hello to at large family events. There are only a handful of people that I would visit at the hospital and my in-laws would not be amongst them(unless tagging along with the spouse). Dogwatching...forget it. (But maybe this is all because I'm an anti-social curmudgeon).

I would only invite people I consider friends to my birthday. If you are not friendly with them then don't invite them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom