Am I being bratty?

Figment632

My GF and I are arguing over our trip that we are planning for New Years. I'm a CM and get 50% off on hotel rooms. I wanted to stay at the Wilderness lodge because the price after my discount is not bad.

I already gave in and said I'd go moderate and stay at River Side, but now my GF wants to go value and go AllStar. I personally don't like the value resorts mostly the atmosphere and because of the outside corridors.

The way I look at it with the discount we can easily afford moderate and it is easier to swallow the deluxe price. My GF says it's silly and we should try and save more money and not spend more because we get a discount.

Am I being silly and bratty or do I have a good case?

It sounds to me that she is concerned about money. If she has a concern & she is someone who you care about, you should take some steps to adress that concern.

WDW social work 101.

Upvote 0

RiversideBunny

That's one of the eternal questions about going to WDW.

Theory One
You should spend the extra money and stay at a nicer place.

Theory Two
If you do WDW right then you won't be in the room very much anyway so why spend more on it.

Sounds like your GF is going for Theory Two, sometimes known as a cheap date. You are lucky.
Have fun.

:)

EDIT: It may help to look at the actual money. If you save $60 a night by staying at a Value resort versus a Moderate resort and you stay 5 nights, then you would be saving $60 x 5 x 50% (your discount). That's only $150 or it's a whopping $150, depending on how you look at it.

Upvote 0

mickey7879

When dh and I are trying to figure out where to stay, sometimes we just talk and talk and talk until we figure out what the best thing to do is that would satisfy both our wants and needs. I think you need to sit down and have an unheated discussion. Let both of you explain out exactly WHY you want to stay at a certain place and WHY you don't. Try not to get mad at the other one and more or less just brainstorm.

Personally, I think that if she didn't want to do the deluxe and you don't want to do value, moderate is the way to meet in the middle.:shrug:

Upvote 0

Kamikaze

My GF and I are arguing over our trip that we are planning for New Years. I'm a CM and get 50% off on hotel rooms. I wanted to stay at the Wilderness lodge because the price after my discount is not bad.

I already gave in and said I'd go moderate and stay at River Side, but now my GF wants to go value and go AllStar. I personally don't like the value resorts mostly the atmosphere and because of the outside corridors.

The way I look at it with the discount we can easily afford moderate and it is easier to swallow the deluxe price. My GF says it's silly and we should try and save more money and not spend more because we get a discount.

Moderates have 'outside corridors' too.

Upvote 0

gspin2k1

Who's paying for it? if she's chipping in 50/50 she should get a say in it. Or perhaps you make up the difference for the extra amenities you like.

~G

p.s. I'm kind of the same too. I like to do vacations my way of "right" which is nicer, I want to feel like I'm on vacation when I go on vacation. Not sitting in a motel room with 4-12 people like I did in college or high school. and my girlfriend (and now fiancee) really could care less for all the extravagant stuff (I should consider myself lucky). Anyway I tend to pay for the expensive stuff I like and she doesnt care about, and she'll take care of the other stuff. i.e. for our WDW trip I took care of our rooms and flight, she took care of the dining plan and gifts. So she ended up paying for about 1/3 of the total trip. we both found it pretty fair (especially considering I proposed to her during the beginning of the trip lol).

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
If you're paying for the trip, do what you want. If she's sharing the cost, do what she wants. If you're sharing costs, but you really don't want to stay at a value, pony up the difference yourself.

Lastly, if she's concerned about money on your behalf, either demonstrate to her that you can afford the higher rates or acknowledge that she's looking out for your best interests and go for the cheaper room.

Maybe she wants you to save money for other things... Like marriage? :shrug:

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You both have valid points. Monty's advice it pretty spot on. One other option would be to split your stay do the first half at a value and the latter half at PORS or WL.

Upvote 0

zurgandfriend

My DW was an accountant before she was felt a calling to ministry.
When she booked vacations she ALWAYS looked for the cheapest deals. Consequently we stayed in some BAD hotels. On one trip unforgettable to the Penn-Dutch country of PA the hotel was so bad after one night I simply said here are you options 1. We drive home now or 2 I find a better place to stay. She chose option 2 we stayed at a very nice resort and as a result now I plan the vacations so be careful.
Seriously I would chose the Wilderness Lodge it’s a great resort with good dining on site and you won’t need to leave unless you want to.

Upvote 0

RiversideBunny

"Only a deluxe resort can begin to be worthy of your unique beauty.
Only a deluxe resort can let me demonstrate how valuable you, the center of my world, are to me."

Try that.
:)

Upvote 0

sweetale

Whether sharing costs for the trip or not, it's important to reach a compromise with her not only for financial reasons but also so that she feels heard/understood in the relationship. Nothing deteriorates a relationship faster than resentment and money is the number one thing that couples fight about. Keep the lines of communication open regarding finances and spending, even if you do end up staying at a Deluxe resort. I personally always gravitate towards the Deluxe resorts and stretch the budget to afford it. DH is the "controlled spender" who opts for the value resort. We have stayed in both and continue to address this resort issue each trip! Best of luck to you and no matter where you end up, I hope you have a great time! :wave:
~Amy

Upvote 0

Figment632

Original Poster
Thanks for all your advice guys, the verdict is in and here is the compromise.

We were supposed to fly out onthe 28th of December and land around 6PM. Not getting to the resort till like 8 PM is a waste of a day so we are going to fly in early on the 29th.

Thats one less night in a hotel so she agreed to a moderate, I wanted to stay atFrench Quarter but it's 75 dollars cheaper at riverside so we are staying there.

Upvote 0

fosse76

My DW was an accountant before she was felt a calling to ministry.
When she booked vacations she ALWAYS looked for the cheapest deals. Consequently we stayed in some BAD hotels. On one trip unforgettable to the Penn-Dutch country of PA the hotel was so bad after one night I simply said here are you options 1. We drive home now or 2 I find a better place to stay. She chose option 2 we stayed at a very nice resort and as a result now I plan the vacations so be careful.
Seriously I would chose the Wilderness Lodge it’s a great resort with good dining on site and you won’t need to leave unless you want to.

The Values are just as clean and safe as the deluxes, without the frills. I swear, some of the people on this board are the epitomy of snobbish.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The Values are just as clean and safe as the deluxes, without the frills. I swear, some of the people on this board are the epitomy of snobbish.
True they are perfectly fine resorts. My next three trips will be at the values. One thing the values do lack however is the separation from reality that you get at the moderates and with spades at the deluxe resorts. Because of this the values feel kind of hotelish where the moderates and above really feel like resorts.

Upvote 0

Figment632

Original Poster

I give that they are just as clean but there is a huge difference in theming, atmosphere, and quality between value and deluxe. I've stated at all of the value resorts one moderate and a few deluxe and I would stay deluxe every time if I could. Go to allears and look at the pictures of Grand Floridian and Beach Club then Pop and All Stars. The theming of Gf or wilderness lodge is like the theming and atmosphere of EE and TOT while the All Stars ate nice I'd compare their theming and atmosphere to Buzz or Dream Flight.

Also I hate freaking outdoor corridors so I'm still not going to like that about a moderate.

Upvote 0

durangojim

Staying at and enjoying a deluxe (especially the WL) does not make one snobbish. Some people like to spend more time at a resort and take advantage of it's ammenities like, nicer pools, a balcony in your room to eat breakfast on, the overall theming, a nice restaurant, the close proximity to the theme parks. To assume that people are staying at a deluxe because we look down on the other resorts is stupid.

Now I'm ready for my flaming, so bring it on:

However, common sense dictates that there will be trashy people at every level of resort, but that due to values being more financially accessable to everyone there may be more trashy people at values than the other class of resorts. By trashy I mean, poorly educated people with little or no manners and little or no respect for others. This can happen anywhere at any resort level, but from things I've seen and read, it seems to occur more at values.

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
While I don't disagree that the values are clean and safe, the individual you quoted complained about "On one trip unforgettable to the Penn-Dutch country of PA" having a bad hotel. Nary a whisper of negativity toward the values.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom