Am I Alone... WDW Food is BAD

Phonedave

And therein lies the brilliance of how Disney profits from Food & Wine.

They convince people that they're eating 'around the world' without leaving the comfort of home. Folks will spend a ton of dough when they're in the moment and think they're having an authentic experience.

I happened to be hanging around early one F&W (waiting for the regional for the Bocuse D'Or to open) and watched them do load in for one of the stands. Large boxes of frozen baklava straight from Sysco.

Phonedave

We used to view Disney dining as an attraction all unto itself. It's been at least a decade and a half since this has been true. What was once an attraction is something to be endured. Menus are limited - 5 maybe 6 entrees per table service. Its basically the same food with a different "themed" name.

We used to be blown away by Le Cellier; it's just ok, now.

The last time we went to California Grill, duck confit was put on our plate even though it was not on the menu. Duck confit! You have to have the palate for that. The bad thing was that we were treating a friend on her birthday who recently moved to Florida.

There are some good quick service. Fish and chips, flame tree, brats in Germany, poutine in Canada.

For the most part, especially for the price, Disney dining does not excite us.

If you like chicken thighs, duck confit is not that far off. A bit richer, a bit more fat.

This is what stops WDW from putting things on their menus like that - it really is not a big stretch, but people see it and run screaming. i'm not asking for jellyfish, sea beans, sea cucumber, durian, or rocky mountain oysters, but just something interesting. I guess when 75% of your customers order "the filet" that's the way they go.

danyoung56

I've had many fine meals at the California Grill - their beef filet is quite simply the best hunk o' meat I've ever enjoyed. And the best chicken dinner I ever had was from La Hacienda de San Angel. Is every meal always perfect? Of course not. But dining in the World is one of my favorite things to do.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
download (3).jpeg

PixarPerfect

This is what stops WDW from putting things on their menus like that - it really is not a big stretch, but people see it and run screaming. i'm not asking for jellyfish, sea beans, sea cucumber, durian, or rocky mountain oysters, but just something interesting. I guess when 75% of your customers order "the filet" that's the way they go.

👏🤣

Disney is masterful at marketing and profiling its audience, which is why there are so many of the same dishes on the menus. How many charcuterie trays are there now?

One of the hidden gem restaurants, IMO, is in Epcot's Morocco. The food has always been good, the menu a tastier and healthier alternative to other restaurants' heavier pasta and meat dishes, and the staff more than wonderful. They've even nailed the mint tea pour. Yet it's been near-empty each time we've eaten there over the years. That has never failed to amaze me.

Last edited:

polynesiangirl

Oh boy, the food at WDW is such a mixed bag for me. I've had some really great/fun meals there over the years, and plenty of AWFUL junk (Pecos Bill, I never liked you to begin with, but that last meal was UNFORGIVABLE. 😆)

I wouldn't put most of it in the "best [whatever] I ever ate" category, but in general it's not like I'd turn down a meal at California Grill, for example. As a group they haven't always been consistent, but I've never had a meal at one of the "nicer" places I thought was truly bad. I've had a few where I've definitely been like "this was not worth the cost", and a few where I was pleasantly surprised.

The regular table service restaurants are fine, for me personally. I wouldn't tell anyone to book a trip to WDW because of how much I liked one of them, but I might recommend one or another to someone who's already going.

mdcpr

Akershus used to be a place I looked forward. While the food was not something new to me (My grandmother was born in Norway) it was food that was not readily available outside of our family's kitchens. Sadly most of that food has left the menu at Akershus. You can still get pickled fish there, but I suspect that is because you can get that in your local supermarket as well (at least around here you can, we have 3 or 4 brands on the shelf). You can also get smoked fish, but gravlax takes some searching for.
You might be able to get gravlax at Ikea.

Jon81uk

I have only ever had one (1) meal at Disney over all of my trips that I would say was really bad. That was at the Beach Club Market Place back in 2010 when the bread was hard as a rock and I basically threw that whole sandwich in the trash. But the track record is still very good. One bad experience has to be overlooked; but I will still never go back to Beach Club Market Place again.

Why didn't you return the sandwich and ask for a refund or replacement?

bsiev1977

Value is subjective and varies from person to person but I’ve never had a meal at WDW that left me with a “wow, that’s the best (blank) I’ve ever had” or “wow, I’ve never had that before”.

Let’s hear it... am I alone or not?!
Your thread title is misleading.

There’s a big difference between saying you’ve never had a “that’s the best ever” meal and saying the food is “bad”

Last edited:

carnini

I feel it has gone downhill at several location yet at the same time had some much better options at other places then years ago. Mine my be a bit Biased since my family is all vegetarian, so options were sometimes limited in the past.

This year, Jungle Navigation Co. LTD Skipper Canteen, was amazing. The best meal my entire family had during our stay, well worth the price.

Curried Vegetable Crew Stew, and Congo Connie's Coconut-Curry Concoction so good and the service was great.

We miss the previous Veggie burger they had a Cosmic rays, when we went last it was some other type of patty that looked awful (I hear they changed it again)

Cado603

Oh I have
Yes if you eat at places like Casey’s, Backlot Express, and Pizzafari you will be unimpressed. Now if you eat at places like Le Celier, Boathouse, or California grill you will not be disappointed. You get what you pay for at Disney.
eatten in Le Celier and Calli Grill and was very disapointed. Last time in Calli Grill it was over priced bird food. Of course I paid, not meal plan when you think everything is free because you pre paid

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Oh I have

eatten in Le Celier and Calli Grill and was very disapointed. Last time in Calli Grill it was over priced bird food. Of course I paid, not meal plan when you think everything is free because you pre paid

Eatten (sic} at places where there are quite a few reviews on this site, Yelp, etc and being disappointed when they match shouldn't be a surprise. Concept and execution diverge at times when theres not a coherent working staff... sometimes the kitchen is off, some times its the wait staff, sometimes the management or a combination of all three.

Not all concepts will match your personal dining preferences, but they do for other people.

Poly71

Value is subjective and varies from person to person but I’ve never had a meal at WDW that left me with a “wow, that’s the best (blank) I’ve ever had” or “wow, I’ve never had that before”.

Are u eating quick service or table service? We were just there and ate our dinners at Table service restaurants and it was delicious.

Klizco

You're not alone ... On our first visit (2014), my wife and I were a bit disappointed after reading/hearing lots of hype from blogs and YouTube videos. We also got the Deluxe Dining Plan and made TERRIBLE use of it (Rookie mistake!) and so we were left with the annoyance of having to find time to eat lots of sit down meals, and the knowledge that we came out far, far behind $ wise.

We've adjusted our expectations accordingly and now forgo the dining plan. We'll make one ADR for a place we've never tried, and then subsist mostly on corn dog nuggets from Casey's, Mickey Bars, Dole Whip, Avocado Margaritas, and Pretzels (B/C Childless Millenial).

MichaelaSP

I try to keep the $ out of the equation and I usually don’t do table service. I do know my own palette and I’m very adventurous, which helps. Having lived all around the globe I’ve had amazing food from all sorts of backgrounds, but when I eat at Disney I try to find the happy medium.
I would like good food at a reasonable theme park price, so that’s what I look for and that’s what I eat. I really like the Yak & Yeti at AK, I like the Rainforest Café’s specialty menus, had great meals in Pandora, Star Wars, and a bunch of other places. France has a great little grab and go place way in the back that’s reasonably priced and tastes nice (I love me a fresh baguette) and of course the various offerings at EPCOT during the International Food and Wine Festival. I’ve also had some stuff that I didn’t finish, because it just didn’t make my mouth happy.
In the end I think we just have to remember to have fun...like when we were little. We’re not going to disney for the cuisine, we go for the Magic! 😉

MichaelaSP

Yeah, it’s pretty big... it’s taken me like 12 years and 20 visits to come to this conclusion. I only thought of it recently as my wife has been on a big Disney YouTube Blog kick, so we end up watching a lot of Food reviews and it started an epic 5 night conversation and recollection of all the meals we’ve had, and cash we spent, and yeah... just isn’t all that good.

I don’t want to offend people here so I’m venturing into murky waters, but Disney definitely knows it’s market and many places play on the “quantity over quality” model. I basically never go to anything that’s all you can eat anymore. Besides the fact that I polished off like 75 shrimp alone at ohana once... good lord
I was kicked out of an all you can eat shrimp place once, because I just kept eating low carb shrimp...😉

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom