Alternate Universe Epcot

DlpPhantom

Original Poster
Sorry This update took so long but I've been incredibly busy in real life. Expect more updates at an accelerated pace from here on out. The Japan Pavilion attraction should be the next post.
This aged poorly. But I have found some time and more importantly the inspiration to continue with this What If? Next up might be the Wonders of Life Pavilion overhaul but you never know when inspiration might strike and what it inspires you to do.

DlpPhantom

Original Poster
Enter the Digital World In
The GRID
Realm Of TRON
Grid Pavilion Logo.png

At EPCOT

Opening Summer 2013

Miru

So far everything has been based on IP, and also included some clones. Are there any plans for more original attractions to be added?

DlpPhantom

Original Poster
So far everything has been based on IP, and also included some clones. Are there any plans for more original attractions to be added?
Well this is based on an alternate universe where Bob Iger insisted on EPCOT receiving an overhaul Just like he did for Hong Kong Disneyland and California Adventure. So the EPCOT overhaul and additions are similar to what happen in DCA with the additions of lots of Pixar and classic Disney characters. Hence most of the attractions are IP based because that was the trend with additions and refurbs at the Disney parks and I’m attempting to adhere to that trend with my imagined EPCOT plans. However, two of the bigger projects still coming up are both IP free.

As for the use of clones I don’t see that as a problem. Cloning attractions has been happening since WDW opened and allows me to realistically add more attractions then had they all be designed from the ground up for EPCOT. The key is balance and I think thus far there has been a good balance between brand new rides exclusive to EPCOT like the Monsters Inc., Nemo, and Cars attractions and clones like Ratatouille and Pinocchio.

Last edited:

DlpPhantom

Original Poster
Before I continue on with the next project I wanted to share a few of my other ideas for the Wonders of Life pavilion that I ended up not going with for a variety of reasons.

The Incredibles Health Pavilion

The first idea I had for the Wonders of life replacement was an Incredibles overlay that focused in on the idea of physical fitness rather then the broader topic of health. The pavilion would’ve had many attractions like a Barnstormer like kiddie coaster themed to Dash, a snow cone stand themed to Frozone, a clothing store themed to Edna Mode, meet and greets, a playground, and a simulator attraction replacing Body Wars with a story about the incredibles taking down an Ice Cream themed villain. I moved away from this idea mainly because I can to believe the fitness theme was to restrictive and the Incredibles characters not tied in enough to that theme to anchor a whole pavilion.

Shortly after deciding against the Incredibles idea I played with making the pavilion about robotics staring Wall-E and his band of characters. In this idea the interior of the pavilion would be themed to a deck aboard the Axiom space ship from the film and the simulator ride would become a crazy adventure around the ship attempting to reclaim the plant for the captain. I moved on from this idea simply because it was too similar to attractions already at EPCOT and the resort like Mission Space right next door, and Star Tours.

TRON’S GRID
A Tron based computer pavilion set on the grid just made sense as soon as it popped into my head. The reason I mention it here is that the program of the pavilion went through a lot of iterations. Early on in my plans the pavilion had a very different smaller Lightcycle thrill ride replacing Body Wars, a flying saucer type themed to the disc wars and a Jetpacks type spinner ride in the center of the pavilion, with an arcade and image works like interactive play area replacing Cranium Command. This didn’t work for me the smaller scale lightcycle ride was too similar to Test Track so I decided the most realistic thing to do was a clone of Shanghai’s Lightcycle coaster. This changed the timeline of the project which led to the flying saucer ride being cut because by 2013 imagineering would’ve realized the system didn’t work. That led to the idea of the stunt show which would replace Cranium Command and the interactive area moved to the center of the dome. The cloning of Shanghai’s coaster also changed the location of the coaster to behind Cranium Command because there wasn’t enough room for the show building behind Body Wars. This moved the stunt show to the center of the dome and the idea for a TRON simulator attraction. Which is basically the finished project.

comics101

TRON’S GRID
A Tron based computer pavilion set on the grid just made sense as soon as it popped into my head. The reason I mention it here is that the program of the pavilion went through a lot of iterations. Early on in my plans the pavilion had a very different smaller Lightcycle thrill ride replacing Body Wars, a flying saucer type themed to the disc wars and a Jetpacks type spinner ride in the center of the pavilion, with an arcade and image works like interactive play area replacing Cranium Command. This didn’t work for me the smaller scale lightcycle ride was too similar to Test Track so I decided the most realistic thing to do was a clone of Shanghai’s Lightcycle coaster. This changed the timeline of the project which led to the flying saucer ride being cut because by 2013 imagineering would’ve realized the system didn’t work. That led to the idea of the stunt show which would replace Cranium Command and the interactive area moved to the center of the dome. The cloning of Shanghai’s coaster also changed the location of the coaster to behind Cranium Command because there wasn’t enough room for the show building behind Body Wars. This moved the stunt show to the center of the dome and the idea for a TRON simulator attraction. Which is basically the finished project.

Dude! It's like you read my mind with the Tron/Computer pavilion. I haven't shared my ideas yet, but I was planning on posting something with a similar theme in my EPCOT thread, EPCOT Renaissance!

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/epcot-renaissance.975291/

DlpPhantom

Original Poster
Dude! It's like you read my mind with the Tron/Computer pavilion. I haven't shared my ideas yet, but I was planning on posting something with a similar theme in my EPCOT thread, EPCOT Renaissance!

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/epcot-renaissance.975291/
I always like seeing people‘s different takes on Epcot. The theme is so flexible and unrestrictive that a lot can be done thus people‘s ideas for the park are vastly different and I’m excited to see your take on it. If your interested in reading more about the Tron pavilion click on the site link embedded in the text reading “The Grid: Realm of TRON”.

DlpPhantom

Original Poster
I just want to say that in a major case of coincidence Disney has just announced an Incredibles themed fitness center for the Disney Wish. While not exactly what I had in mind for a wonders of life replacement it is pretty similar to a refined version of that idea that will be part of my Innoventions replacement. My idea is a lot more like a playground and has a little more theming. I look forward to sharing more details about the attraction soon as part of a huge update that includes changes to all of Future World.

DlpPhantom

Original Poster
After almost a year of development I have finally come up with an idea for the Journey into Imagination pavilion that is both realistic and plausible while also being worthy of the concept of Imagination. Sorry for the long wait but I am very proud of the concept I have come up with. I hope you enjoy reading through it.

With all of Future World transformed into Innovation Campus the whole new EPCOT project is almost complete. The rest of the project should be completed in the next post including a New World Showcase attraction, a reimagined Odyssey pavilion, and a brand new Night Time Spectacular.

DisneyManOne

After almost a year of development I have finally come up with an idea for the Journey into Imagination pavilion that is both realistic and plausible while also being worthy of the concept of Imagination. Sorry for the long wait but I am very proud of the concept I have come up with. I hope you enjoy reading through it.

With all of Future World transformed into Innovation Campus the whole new EPCOT project is almost complete. The rest of the project should be completed in the next post including a New World Showcase attraction, a reimagined Odyssey pavilion, and a brand new Night Time Spectacular.
Well, that was absolutely wonderful! I can easily imagine something like this actually being built at EPCOT! Honestly, I wish they could do this in real life. I'm still holding out hope that they'll do something with the Imagination Pavilion at some point. I always hold out some hope that they'll announce something at D23, but I don't really get my hopes up high for that particular notion.

DlpPhantom

Original Poster
Well, that was absolutely wonderful! I can easily imagine something like this actually being built at EPCOT! Honestly, I wish they could do this in real life. I'm still holding out hope that they'll do something with the Imagination Pavilion at some point. I always hold out some hope that they'll announce something at D23, but I don't really get my hopes up high for that particular notion.
Thank you, one of my top priorities was trying to design something that felt practical and plausible, while also trying to keep the spirit of the original Journey. I also hold out hope that one day a new attraction featuring Figment and the Dreamfinder will open at EPCOT but like you I'm ready to be disappointed this D23.

DlpPhantom

Original Poster
EPCOT
Celebration Center
Celebration Center (1).png
The Celebration Center is the hub of all the festival activity at EPCOT. The former Odyssey Restaurant is heavily remodeled. The CC (Celebration Center) structure keeps the hexagonal and geometric architecture of the old structure.
Outside of the building is a theater for the offerings previously held at the American Gardens Theater. The stage can be viewed from withing the seating area which slops downwards towards the stage or by people walking by on the walkways above and around the theater. This space is inspired by the Space Mountain Stage (seen below) that was replaced by Captain EO. Also outside is a food & beverage location that would offer various seasonal alcoholic beverages and snacks.

Screen%20Shot%202018-01-18%20at%209.59.07%20AM.png
The offerings inside of the CC includes a presentation space for Chefs and artists to hold demonstrations, a flex space for various purposes like a corporate party or exhibit space for the festivals, lastly is the new Test Kitchen quick service restaurant where various genres of cuisine can be brought in for a seasonal run without committing to a permanent fixture or an entire festival booth. The dining area for this restaurant is located on a second level about the rest of the building with views overlooking the stage below and the rest of EPCOT in the distance.

The rest of this project will be covered in one more post coming soon!

DlpPhantom

Original Poster
Only a couple of days late but I can't think of a better way to celebrate the 40th anniversary of EPCOT Center than to conclude the journey we have all been on with this imaginary EPCOT overhaul. Please enjoy this presentation about the World Showcase Refresh Project.
When Complete The park will have a completely new lineup of attractions:

Innovation Campus

Central Quad
1. Spaceship Earth
2. Incredibles Super Training Facility
3. Pixar Gravity Labs
4. Buy N' Large Robotics Featuring Wall-e
5. Sum Of All Thrills
6. Club Cool

Planet Earth Quad
7. Nemo's Living Seas
8. Turtle Talk: with Crush
9. Living With The Land
10. Circle of Life: an Environmental Fable
11. Soarin' Around the World

Creative Arts Quad
12. Figment's Imagination Frenzy!
13. Toy Story To Infinity & Beyond

Invention Quad
14. Monsters INC. Energy Exchange
15. Tron Lightcycle Power Run
16. Battle Over the Grid
17. Disc Wars Arena
18. Mission Space
19. Test Track

World Showcase
20. International Meeting Place
21. Gran Fiesta Tour
22. Maelstrom
23. Reflections of China
24. Pinocchio's Daring Journey
25. The American Adventure
26. Cars: Race Thru Tokyo
27. Impressions de France
28. Ratatouille Kitchen Calamity
29. O'Canada with Martin Short
30. Dreamers: Our Shared Journey

9ZL-PikBZuN118eBwlMFOVDS_WIU1qDPgxVkLFt4_r-mFMPUW8e4b7PWByC5XopZcWHPxnOcl4PKN6idyKEgumRylyMwv4zLRz8XJSkdIPOTqrlM8zQXUhZR_LFw7wdyN8AwAMckpQDEyqVZxOtBaQAwSI7UoNIwbOjz7I9JGKtIS1Kd_nhxIwMk

Thank You for reading and joining me as I reimagined EPCOT. It has been a long time since I began, but I think the end result is a nice creative What If? project with interesting ideas. I had a lot of fun coming up with these concepts and I hope you had fun reading them. I might return to share so alternative ideas later on but for now this journey has come to an end. Thank you for joining us and have a great big beautiful tomorrow.

DlpPhantom

Original Poster
Despite saying I was done with this project I forgot a crucial aspect of the project the new graphic Icons for each pavilion in the Innovation Campus (formerly Future World) area of the park.

EPCOT Icons.png

With 6 new Icons combined with 4 from opening day designed by Norm Inouye every pavilion in the Innovation Campus has its own unique graphic icon.
Journey Into Imagination is in pink
Incredibles Super Training Center is in red
Spaceship Earth is in orange
Mission Space is in yellow
The Land Pavilion is in green
Nemo's Living Seas is in turquoise
Monster's Inc. Energy Exchange is in cyan
The Grid: Realm of Tron is in light blue
Test Track/World Of Motion is in dark blue
The Robotics Pavilion is in purple

These icons will be used in directional signage, park maps and in the branding of each pavilion for logos, merchandise, etc.

E8DkO1IWUAgVj0H.jpg

Notably left out is World Showcase which has its own icon designed by Norm Inouye for 1982 but in order to develop separate design languages and feelings for the other half of the park. For this reason World Showcase will continue to use the compass rose icon developed later in the parks history.
503-5035399_the-american-section-went-onto-be-called-the.png

MickeyMouse10

Bravo

I love the new rainbow color scheme for your Epcot. It goes perfectly with the park and separates it aesthetically finally from Tomorrowland at the Magic Kingdom. It also connects with Epcot's past as well, back when it used to have the Rainbow Corridor in the Imagination Pavilion.

Goofy Ninja

Our universe's version of Epcot doesn't feel as magical as it once was. It really has lost it's soul, you figure they would have put IP's that make more sense. Rather than things like Moana.

Anyone on this board could have made a better version of Epcot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom