Alright, help me get "undepressed" about not being financially ready for Disney

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Right now as it stands 2014 has been a rough year. I have two young kids now and with my son 3 years old I thought it would be the perfect time to take him on his first Disney trip. I really don't care if it is Disneyland or Disney World. I've been to both and in a way it's like choosing steak or lobster. That will be a GOOD problem to have once I am financially ready to go again.

As you can see, my last trip was 2012. I thought brighter times would be ahead but alas it hasn't worked out that way. This means the spring of 2015 is the first chance I have to go. Now I know I have to get my ducks in a row first and I will make sure everything is caught up financially before going, but I want to do my best for this to happen. It just seems light years away right now.

So what I am asking is for ways to get into the Disney mood again. I often listen to the stuff on Youtube but is there a CD I can buy with the Magic Kingdom entrance musical loop on there? Or does anyone have any advice for saving up for a trip for the future? I come on these boards because I always have a trip looming in the first place and it gets me excited. Right now there are too many troubles financially to even think about it until at least next year.

What makes you guys happy and excited about Disney again when you aren't there and aren't going anytime soon?

Goofyernmost

Or take care of your present real responsibilities and stop worrying about when you take that trip to Disney. You and your family will have a much better time if you wait until you can afford it, or at least absorb the cost in your budget. You will feel more relaxed and happy and make it a more pleasant experience for all. It took until my youngest was 7 years old before we could figure a way to afford the trip and it was the best family trip any of us have ever experienced. Sometimes having a little patience pays off big time.

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

We know what you are going through because we all are feeling the pressures that come with a bad economy. Business is slow, promotions & raises non existent, people losing jobs, it seems to be going on forever. Bills dont stop coming in and even though you would love to do a trip... how can you justify spending when you can barely make it now? So you save every penny you can, every way you can, be creative in saving, and keep dreaming of the day you have enough to say... It's time and I can afford it.
Sooo... Watch all the Disney movies, stay on board WDWMAGIC, get more Disney knowledge, start planning your dream trip so you have the details worked out & check out Disney menus ( will also help give you an idea of how much savings you need), read travel guides and Disney books. Even though you dont have a date yet, you can accomplish a lot now. Keep that goal in mind and it will get closer every day.
AND where your DS is only 3yo, he wont remember the trip, so going when hes a little bit older and more excited about Disney might be better anyway.

bethymouse

We missed 2014.:( My DH wanted to go to Myrtle Beach with his family instead. We had a nice time, but it's not the same for me. My boys are getting older, and they enjoy "other" experiences, such as Busch Gardens Williamsburg. I just hope I can convince the family to go to Disney in 2015. Otherwise, I just come here to get my "fix", and watch those Disney movies to "inspire" the boys to want to go again ( they will be 11 years old next year).:eek:

tare

You can save big by using a cap one card no annual fees, 1 1/2% cash back and charge everything you can and pay it off every month super easy have been doing it for years.

LondonGopher

Right now as it stands 2014 has been a rough year. I have two young kids now and with my son 3 years old I thought it would be the perfect time to take him on his first Disney trip. I really don't care if it is Disneyland or Disney World. I've been to both and in a way it's like choosing steak or lobster. That will be a GOOD problem to have once I am financially ready to go again.

As you can see, my last trip was 2012. I thought brighter times would be ahead but alas it hasn't worked out that way. This means the spring of 2015 is the first chance I have to go. Now I know I have to get my ducks in a row first and I will make sure everything is caught up financially before going, but I want to do my best for this to happen. It just seems light years away right now.

So what I am asking is for ways to get into the Disney mood again. I often listen to the stuff on Youtube but is there a CD I can buy with the Magic Kingdom entrance musical loop on there? Or does anyone have any advice for saving up for a trip for the future? I come on these boards because I always have a trip looming in the first place and it gets me excited. Right now there are too many troubles financially to even think about it until at least next year.

What makes you guys happy and excited about Disney again when you aren't there and aren't going anytime soon?

I'm sure many of us have been in your shoes - and you are DEAD RIGHT to get your $$$ house in order before you plan a holiday. You can NOT have a good time on holiday if a black cloud of debt is hanging over your head (at least I can't!).

I have a pretty good CD called "4 Parks 1 World" or something like that - it has ride music as well as park-specific "background music". I also love listening to my CD of SpectroMagic...especially since it is never coming back...:cry:

My favourite though, is a set of CDs called something like "A Musical History of Disneyland".

And a guilty pleasure...I plan "fake holidays" - where we'll stay, where we'll eat and what we'll see...please tell me I'm not the only one...;)

katie123

Don't stress!
Our youngest was five the first time he went and doesn't remember any of it from that year.
IMO-kids have better memories and remember their trips a lot more after the age of seven or eight.
Ours is ten now and really excited- we are getting more joy with visiting now than we did five years ago.
Good luck with the saving!

Britt

We haven't been since 2012 and not going again until 2015! But only my husband and I are going!!! ALONE to celebrate 10 years of marriage! :D

It hasn't been at ALL hard to get excited! We spent all of 2013 paying off debts, we spent this year paying off our car....next year....we get to go and ENJOY being 100% debt free by 30 (before we buy a house haha)

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I come across many clients that are in your shoes. They want to go and financially it is extremely difficult. Those clients generally book for the following year when the new packages come out and then have us make monthly payments. They also use disney gift cards for payment as well as their Disney rewards Visa points to make it happen. Disney including their dates in a discount is always a big help also.

You will get there and your kids will have a wonderful time whether it's in 2015 or the next year. You are doing what is best for your family. Disney isn't going anywhere and when the time is right, you will get there.
Mickey meme.jpg

RMichael21

Here's a good tip:

With a Target Card at Target, you can buy $100 Disney Gift Cards for $95. This could potentially help you save money.

And when the time comes, whether it's now or later, you will have a magical trip with your family. :)

Chef Mickey

My advice would be to pay down all debt before going. After you don't owe anyone money, saving for a Disney might take just weeks depending on your income.

I know it sounds harsh, but I just don't believe in spending money you don't have or even if you do at the expense of something more important.

Kudos to you for using restraint and waiting until you have the money.

In the meantime, Four Parks One World and YouTube are your friends.

Chef Mickey

We haven't been since 2012 and not going again until 2015! But only my husband and I are going!!! ALONE to celebrate 10 years of marriage! :D

It hasn't been at ALL hard to get excited! We spent all of 2013 paying off debts, we spent this year paying off our car....next year....we get to go and ENJOY being 100% debt free by 30 (before we buy a house haha)
Glad to hear a story like this.

Goofyernmost

Don't stress!
Our youngest was five the first time he went and doesn't remember any of it from that year.
IMO-kids have better memories and remember their trips a lot more after the age of seven or eight.
Ours is ten now and really excited- we are getting more joy with visiting now than we did five years ago.
Good luck with the saving!
That was one of the best results of waiting. My little girl that was 7 at the time we first went to WDW is now an aged 38 years old. While she and I were having a discussion with her son about WDW, she could still remember almost every detail of the trip. She couldn't remember anything about our ride in the Haunted Mansion except that she had her eyes closed all the way through it. :joyfull: I never knew that. I guess that's why they call it a dark ride.:)

Kuzcotopia

That was one of the best results of waiting. My little girl that was 7 at the time we first went to WDW is now an aged 38 years old. While she and I were having a discussion with her son about WDW, she could still remember almost every detail of the trip. She couldn't remember anything about our ride in the Haunted Mansion except that she had her eyes closed all the way through it. :joyfull: I never knew that. I guess that's why they call it a dark ride.:)

Who knew the best ride in Disney World was behind your eyelids? :)

thomas998

To be honest I think the last thing you need is anything Disney related. I look at your feeling as being close to what it was when I would go off from home in my younger days... if I thought about home I would feel homesick if I got my mind off home I had no problems. I soon learned that the best thing for my own personal well being was to not call home, not think about it, not look at any photos of my family nothing.

If you are feeling bad about not being able to go to Disney till next year, then don't immerse yourself in Disney now, you'll only make yourself feel worse about having to wait.

DJ7203

I totally get what you are going through. I wanted to plan a trip to Disney for a while too. But we also have so many financial responsibilities & my DH gets stressed about money & bills easily. We both work full time jobs, but he works a lot more hours than I do because of the field he is in. He makes a lot more money than I do as well. But, I really wanted to be able to treat him & our daughter to a trip to Disney without putting any extra pressure on him. I wanted to surprise them with the trip & be able to tell my DH not to worry about a thing, because it's all paid for already. So for the past year I saved up here & there, I did secret freelance jobs (I'm a make-up artist) and I just saved whatever I could. Sometimes it was only a few dollars here & there. I researched & looked at how much everything would cost. First I saved enough for 2 nights at a Disney hotel, not one of the big fancy ones. But the World All Stars which is more than good enough for us! Then I saved up enough to put the down payment on 3 season passes. Now I am just saving whatever I can scrape together within the next few weeks to use as spending money for the trip. Just having the goal & imagining the look on their faces when I told them is what helped me through. You will do it too & I wish you the best of luck!

Right now as it stands 2014 has been a rough year. I have two young kids now and with my son 3 years old I thought it would be the perfect time to take him on his first Disney trip.

I think 3 is too young to go to Disney because they can't ride half the rides and I doubt they will remember anything. Even if your other child is older, waiting a couple more years won't hurt anything and it will give you more time to save up the money to go. Keep your chin up because November is right around the corner. :)

thomas998

I think 3 is too young to go to Disney because they can't ride half the rides and I doubt they will remember anything. Even if your other child is older, waiting a couple more years won't hurt anything and it will give you more time to save up the money to go. Keep your chin up because November is right around the corner. :)

At 3 your child would have fun. Would not be able to ride all the rides, but still enough to keep busy.... And of course some of the things are not made for everyone some are made specifically for the very young. Of course the downside is that they will not remember much of anything they experienced during the trip. I know that from out kids that can recall fairly well what it was like when they were in grade school, but the trips when they were 3 only exist to them because we have shown them photos of them standing with Pooh and things like that... otherwise they have no memories at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom