1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Alleged changes to Pirates?

Discussion in 'Politics and Social Issues' started by mharrington, Jun 24, 2017.

1. mharrington

mharrington Well-Known Member

I found this article on Disney and More involving Pirates of the Caribbean. It is primarily about the Paris version getting overhauled to include Capt. Jack Sparrow, but it does contain this blurb about something similar happening to other versions out there: http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2017/06/will-disneyland-paris-pirates-of.html.

According to the article, the auction scene in Paris will be replaced due to political correctness. And if the changes work out, the article says, they are likely to happen at the other parks, too, including the U.S.

That would be quite sad if the auction were scrapped, certainly in California. It is without doubt one of the most iconic scenes in the ride. I would hate for it to be altered due to further political correctness.

2. Kira Nerys

Kira Nerys Well-Known Member

Get in your possibly last rides with the auction just to be safe.

3. mouse_luv

mouse_luv Well-Known Member

Seriously? My favorite scene in the whole ride?!? What did they think Pirates did stand around and chat about the newest trends in high fashion?!:facepalm:

4. Kira Nerys

That would mean that every bit of Paul Frees dialogue aside from "Dead men tell no tales" will have been removed?

5. jmuboy

jmuboy Well-Known Member

Fake news

malice, TP2000 and CHOX like this.
  6. mharrington

mharrington Well-Known Member Original Poster

You don't know that, not with the way Disney does things now.

Space Mansion likes this.
  7. Dr. Hans Reinhardt

Dr. Hans Reinhardt Well-Known Member

I will say that there's something about the woman in the red dress flirting with the men looking lasciviously at her as she's being auctioned off to be their servant/sex worker/slave that makes me a little uncomfortable. Political correctness aside, that gag, which is the primary focus of the scene, gives the impression that she's fine with her predicament, completely glossing over the horrors women experienced under the same real life circumstances.

8. JD2000

JD2000 Member

I can only help but feel Pirates continues to be ruined by corporate marketing and select people who are too sensitive, without any sense of humor, or understanding that it's best to acknowledge things and learn from them; instead of just ignoring them as if they never existed.

Space Mansion likes this.
  9. Kira Nerys

It goes over most people's heads and it's more of an Easter egg, I guess, but if you pay extra close attention at the beginning of the ride in the caves with the remnants of pirate civilization, you can see a sexy portrait of the redhead presumably after the auction when she became a pirate herself. At least, that's my theory!

10. Dr. Hans Reinhardt

To be fair though the people who created Disneyland bare some level of responsibility too. While it may not have been popular in the late 60s to consider the representation of women in an amusement park ride, there's no ignoring that most of the decisions on the ride's story were made by men who were conservative in their representations of gender and minorities.

In one of Walt's story pitches to investors for Disneyland there is a description of displays along the Rivers of America of a plantation with happy slaves waving at the passing riverboat, or something like that. The fact that this was considered for Disneyland is troubling, but imagine if it had actually been built. :(

Ellen Ripley, indianajack and jocarol like this.
  11. phruby

phruby Well-Known Member

Why would they get rid of a scene and characters they market the heck out of in the parks?

I'm surprised in this PC world, this picture is still there.
    [​IMG]

12. Kira Nerys

Great painting!

13. jmuboy

jmuboy Well-Known Member

I voted for Hilary.
    I believe in busting the glass ceiling for everyone
    My self selected mentor at work is a female

......and I hope this scene remains as is. Don't rewrite history. That's the line in the sand where political correctness goes bonkers.

14. Dr. Hans Reinhardt

Isn't depicting a woman, who has presumably been kidnapped and is being sold off to a bunch of drunken men for nefarious purposes, as pleasantly content with such wrongdoings a rewrite of history?

15. Kira Nerys

For what it's worth, the POTC movie (the first one is the only one I remember) featured the pirates chasing after the women and kidnapping Elizabeth, ordering her to dinner naked if she didn't agree to their terms. They fully intended to murder her.

Yet, in the attraction which now advertises these movies, there can't be a scene where pirates auction off women?

SuddenStorm likes this.
  16. yookeroo

yookeroo Well-Known Member

Don't rewrite Disney history? The ride isn't a museum.

If you're talking about pirates history, I don't really think the redhead in the auction scene is really all that historically accurate.

I'm not particularly bothered by that scene. But it does throw me out of the story whenever I pass through it. Whatever humor is in that scene is pretty dated.

17. TP2000

TP2000 Well-Known Member

Isn't the continuing and widespread use of drunken pirates offensive to those with real chemical dependency issues?

Over half the dialogue in the ride comes from pirates who are slurring their speech while clutching bottles of liquor. "Old Bill", the drunk pirate in the corner talking to the cats, obviously has serious addiction and mental health issues that no one is addressing, and yet riders are supposed to just laugh at him and his mental health?

This is a very slippery slope when you try and make 19th century pirate stereotypes acceptable to 21st century social norms.

18. FigmentForver96

FigmentForver96 Well-Known Member

They are pirates. The final scenes is them burning down a village, presumable killing most of the people and singing and drinking as they plumage. If you change one scene you need to change a lot. It's also a ride, you have bigger problems if a scene in a ride built 60 years ago "disturbs you"

alias8703, TheOrangeBird01 and phruby like this.
  19. Dr. Hans Reinhardt

I would have no issues with a scene depicting misogyny if it was historically accurate, but that's not what this is. The basic underlying message seems to be "It's OK folks! See, this woman is happy to be kidnapped, auctioned off and raped", and that bothers me.

20. thealmightyvance

thealmightyvance Well-Known Member

Damn libbies and their political correctness. Ugh... they're probably going to go for all scenes with guns next. :banghead: