All things Knotts Berry Farm

Jiggsawpuzzle35

I think we are finally going to make it on Wednesday. My daughter has been battling a sinus infection (no covid, test was negative) and my mom passed away on Monday so we will need to get out for a few hours even if it's for a small taste of holiday cheer.
Truly sorry for you loss. Walking around Knotts with your family will ease the pain temporarily but I can honestly say it was kind of magical taking in everything and especially during these hard times. RIP to your mom and I’m glad we both get to watch our two favorite hockey teams soon.

Darkbeer1

Truly sorry for you loss. Walking around Knotts with your family will ease the pain temporarily but I can honestly say it was kind of magical taking in everything and especially during these hard times. RIP to your mom and I’m glad we both get to watch our two favorite hockey teams soon.

I am kinda liking the 4 division set up, with only inter-divisional play (for one year).

I want to play the full league when things get back to normal.

Go Ducks!

Stevek

The Ducks and Kings will be playing each other 5 games in a row at one time this season. That’s insane and like playoff hockey. There will be lots of bad blood and I’m liking it.
This is going to be fun. I would love if they figure out the whole outdoor game thing in Carson...can you imagine how much fun these 5 games might be with fans outdoors?

Jiggsawpuzzle35

This is going to be fun. I would love if they figure out the whole outdoor game thing in Carson...can you imagine how much fun these 5 games might be with fans outdoors?
Yeah nothing is going to happen in LA County. I would go in a heartbeat but LA is always in the purple tier. Would be awesome if they somehow had a couple of outdoor games in Big Bear.

SevenSevens

I really wish they'd keep their website more up to date, as it is saying the Cable Car Kitchen is closed all month, which is where the OC Register is saying you buy those items.

Edit: From their Facebook
>Yes, the Cable Car Kitchen remains open with these select items from 11am-8pm until Sunday (1/3). Beginning Monday (1/4) you can find the selection of items in the Market Bakery. Hours available on the website here: https://www.knotts.com/explore/california-marketplace

TP2000

That's an interesting article! And it highlights a man we'd talked about before here in this forum. For those who forgot the drama, Mr. Storbeck is the longtime Disneylander who was given the boot by Michael Colglazier in 2015 because Colglazier thought Storbeck was too old-fashioned, too wedded to the nitty-gritty of operating Disneyland, and as a graduate of a lowly Cal State school Mr. Storbeck didn't fit the Harvard MBA model that Colglazier thought deserved to run Disneyland.

Fast forward five years later, and Mr. Storbeck has just succeeded where Disneyland has largely failed. And Mr. Storbeck did that with a beer-soaked bachelor's degree from a lowly Cal State school, while the Harvard MBA's in TDA are still trying to move the old 2020 merchandise out of a dead mall.

Mr. Storbeck brought his talents to Knott's and reinvented his theme park as a festival center, doing an end run around clueless Sacramento bureaucrats who quite clearly stated in their "guidance" six months ago that "festivals" were forbidden to operate. Mr. Storbeck saved thousands of jobs, created a sense of community normalcy and created community wealth out of thin air, and perhaps saved Knott's Berry Farm itself!

From the article...

Jon Storbeck launched a series of successful outdoor food festivals that brought thousands of Knott’s Berry Farm employees back to work and safely entertained hundreds of thousands of people during the coronavirus pandemic while other California theme parks remained shuttered.

“I can’t tell you how many people have come up to me personally in the last few months and just thanked me for opening, giving them a sense of normalcy, something to smile about and something to look forward to,” said Storbeck, the vice president and general manager of Knott’s.

Storbeck, 61, joined Knott’s in 2016 after more than 30 years of working for Disney. The North Tustin resident started at Disneyland after college as a ride operator and rose to the top ranks — serving as vice president of Downtown Disney and Disney’s three Anaheim hotels.

Knott’s and other California theme parks closed in mid-March amid the COVID-19 pandemic and are not expected to fully reopen until early 2021 or next summer. Knott’s partially reopened in July without rides for the Taste of Calico food, beer and wine event that followed COVID-19 health and safety protocols that are now part of the “new normal” — mandatory face coverings, temperature screenings, social distancing and enhanced sanitization

Storbeck and his Knott’s team began developing the Taste of Calico event in late May as the economy began slowly reopening and it became clear the pandemic would be measured in months rather than days or weeks. Then in June, Universal Studios Hollywood, Six Flags Magic Mountain, SeaWorld San Diego and Legoland California set July 1 reopening dates and Disneyland put a pin in the calendar on July 17 — the 65th anniversary of the park.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Knott’s and other California theme parks closed in mid-March amid the COVID-19 pandemic and are not expected to fully reopen until early 2021 or next summer.
Well, there's a range! "Could be next week. Could be next summer. Dunno." lol

But why do I suspect that scrappy little Knotts, overseen by DL rejects the likes of Jon Storbeck and Matt Ouimet, will figure out a way to reopen before behemoth big bro DL does? :)

TP2000

Well, there's a range! "Could be next week. Could be next summer. Dunno." lol

But why do I suspect that scrappy little Knotts, overseen by DL rejects the likes of Jon Storbeck and Matt Ouimet, will figure out a way to reopen before behemoth big bro DL does? :)

I bet you are correct. Knott's has come off being vastly more nimble and savvy than Disneyland.

I think it's now clearly obvious that TDA is hamstrung by mountains of red tape and a sclerotic corporate bureaucracy, and they can't really get anything of any substance in either park off the ground.

What's incredibly ironic, and I'm sure Mr. Storbeck smiled to himself over this when he read this glowing Register article about his business savvy and quick thinking, is that this is the guy who got kicked to the curb for not having the Ivy League MBA credentials of his bosses. Mr. Storbeck was a bit too Theme Park for the TDA execs who inhabit the revolving door offices there by people who don't understand the theme park biz.

Mr. Storbeck just proved his former TDA bosses wrong, and saved thousands of jobs and created a much needed chunk of wealth out of nothing for the Buena Park economy in the meantime. So who is the smart one now? :cool:

DCBaker

Premium Member
"A Message from Jon Storbeck, Vice President & General Manager of Knott's Berry Farm
January 15, 2021 Update

To our Season Passholders,

We want to thank all of our Knott’s Berry Farm Season Passholders for your continued patience and support during this unprecedented time. Knowing our closures have disrupted a new year, we wanted to share some important updates to the 2020 and 2021 Season Passholder benefits:
  • As announced last year, 2020 and 2021 Season Passes and purchased Season Pass Add-On Products (if applicable) will be valid for all of the 2021 season, once the park opens.
  • Additionally, we will also be offering a Day for Day Extension. For every day that the park is closed in 2021, we will extend season passes for the same amount of days in 2022. This also includes Season Pass Add-On Products (if applicable).
Our Season Passholders remain very important to us and we can’t wait to welcome everyone back to enjoy all Knott’s Berry Farm has to offer. "

Darkbeer1

>>The Taste of Boysenberry Festival craft beer and food event will run on 29 select dates from March 5 through May 2 at Knott’s. Tickets go on sale Tuesday, Feb. 9 for Knott’s season passholders and Feb. 16 for the general public.<<

So it looks like Knott's is hoping for a May reopening for the Theme Park.

cmwade77

>>The Taste of Boysenberry Festival craft beer and food event will run on 29 select dates from March 5 through May 2 at Knott’s. Tickets go on sale Tuesday, Feb. 9 for Knott’s season passholders and Feb. 16 for the general public.<<

So it looks like Knott's is hoping for a May reopening for the Theme Park.
Considering the other Cedar Fair parks in California have already announced a late May reopening, it seems to make sense. I am wondering what Cedar Fair knows that the rest of us don't. And yes, I know you can't tell us even if you know due to NDAs and other restrictions.

Darkbeer1

Considering the other Cedar Fair parks in California have already announced a late May reopening, it seems to make sense. I am wondering what Cedar Fair knows that the rest of us don't. And yes, I know you can't tell us even if you know due to NDAs and other restrictions.
I can say Theme Parks and related businesses such as Hotel are using a mid-May date currently for planning purposes. Should be interesting to see the ending date of the DCA tastings

Darkbeer1

The Or
The LA County Fair cancelled and that is always in September, so mid-May seems ultra-mega-super-dupery optimistic.

Orange County Fair is still planning on its July/August schedule, with later dates as a backup.

cmwade77

The LA County Fair cancelled and that is always in September, so mid-May seems ultra-mega-super-dupery optimistic.

Fairs are reliant on booths and sponsors, some international and need them booked early, I can't imagine any of them will be lining up for a fair, so canceling it doesn't reflect on theme parks.

cmwade77

I can say Theme Parks and related businesses such as Hotel are using a mid-May date currently for planning purposes. Should be interesting to see the ending date of the DCA tastings
I could also see Cedar Fair just saying enough is enough and just reopening at that point no matter what, that is one advantage of the workforce not being union, not saying they will or won't, but I could see them doing it and Orange County has made it clear they won't stop businesses from doing so as long as they try to keep things safe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom