All things Knotts Berry Farm

Professortango1

Actually, more people are dying from depression and suicide than from COVID and it is something like 10 times the number of people dying from COVID due to the lockdowns.

10 times the amount? You're saying that we've had 1,600,000 Americans die from suicide since February? We've jumped from around 50,000 to over 1.5 million? Would you care to share you evidence of such?

Also, can you point to any evidence of people using theme park passes to provide daily meals?

Entertainment venues will return. Right now, it isn't safe for the public and especially for the employees of the entertainment venues. As someone who works in entertainment, it stinks, but its a fact we've been mature enough to accept for the time being. Luckily, drive ins and other such venues are still available as well as parks and other places to boost serotonin. We went down to the Safari Park and had a great time walking around and looking at the outdoor exhibits.

Last edited:

cmwade77

10 times the amount? You're saying that we've had 1,600,000 Americans die from suicide since February? We've jumped from around 50,000 to over 1.5 million? Would you care to share you evidence of such?
Yes (well, 1,590,000 deaths since February give or take), in the first 3 months alone we had 5 years worth of suicide attempts and that was the report I saw a couple of weeks ago, trying to find it again, will add the link when I find it again.

Oh, and they expect to get worse the longer the lockdowns happen.

Here is an article that discusses some of this, not numbers though:

I would add in that even one additional suicide isn't worth the mess we have had, the numbers truly don't justify what we have done, but to say theme parks aren't important undervalues what they truly are and how much they actually accomplish.

Professortango1

Yes (well, 1,590,000 deaths since February give or take), in the first 3 months alone we had 5 years worth of suicide attempts and that was the report I saw a couple of weeks ago, trying to find it again, will add the link when I find it again.

Oh, and they expect to get worse the longer the lockdowns happen.

Here is an article that discusses some of this, not numbers though:

I would add in that even one additional suicide isn't worth the mess we have had, the numbers truly don't justify what we have done, but to say theme parks aren't important undervalues what they truly are and how much they actually accomplish.

Important is relative. I'm in the arts and believe 100% that arts are important to a society and community, but at the current time, the risk outweighs the short term benefits. We're not talking about theme parks being gone for decades or even years. We're talking about limiting exposing patrons and employees for a limited period until effective treatment or a vaccine is available to reduce the risk.

As for the article you shared, it mentions a possible increase of 4,000 suicides in a modest projection or 18,000 should unemployment skyrocket. That would put us just under 68,000 suicides. No small number and mental health is incredibly important, but its not even half of the deaths resulting from COVID, much less 10 times as you previously stated.

We should absolutely be increasing social programs to care for those impacted by this pandemic. This has really shown how woefully unprepared our national health care is, especially mental health services.

Phroobar

Original Poster
50nai2mqtat21.jpg

cmwade77

Important is relative. I'm in the arts and believe 100% that arts are important to a society and community, but at the current time, the risk outweighs the short term benefits. We're not talking about theme parks being gone for decades or even years. We're talking about limiting exposing patrons and employees for a limited period until effective treatment or a vaccine is available to reduce the risk.

As for the article you shared, it mentions a possible increase of 4,000 suicides in a modest projection or 18,000 should unemployment skyrocket. That would put us just under 68,000 suicides. No small number and mental health is incredibly important, but its not even half of the deaths resulting from COVID, much less 10 times as you previously stated.

We should absolutely be increasing social programs to care for those impacted by this pandemic. This has really shown how woefully unprepared our national health care is, especially mental health services.
Suffice it to say, I disagree, as there will likely never be a vaccine and probably 5 years off from effective treatment at minimum and we can't sustain this for that long.

We wouldn't need as much mental health services as we do right now if entertainment and other stress relieving venues were open, other states have also proven they can open safely, so it is doable and is time to reopen everything in as safe a manner as possible, the benefits far outweigh the risks.

Professortango1

Suffice it to say, I disagree, as there will likely never be a vaccine and probably 5 years off from effective treatment at minimum and we can't sustain this for that long.

We wouldn't need as much mental health services as we do right now if entertainment and other stress relieving venues were open, other states have also proven they can open safely, so it is doable and is time to reopen everything in as safe a manner as possible, the benefits far outweigh the risks.

If we were as diligent as other countries, I'd be all for it. But we have grown adults having fits over masks and refusing to be responsible. When people are spitting at CMs at WDW, it shows we are not ready. Also, mental health shouldn't be effected so strongly by lack of theme parks/concerts for a few months. If Disney being closed for a few months drives you to suicide, its clear that there are other mental issues at play and proper treatment is required. While a getaway to Vegas is a nice refresher, it shouldn't be required to live a happy life.

I'm speaking as someone who suffers from depression and suicidal thoughts. Theatre has occupied my life 6 days a week for the past 15 years. It is my income, my social life, and my therapy. I've also dealt with the end of a long term relationship and my father suffering a heart attack and undergoing a quadruple bypass. I know my experience is purely anecdotal, but I'm a person who is at risk and who has suffered a lot during this shut down. As much as I would love for theatres/theme parks/and entertainment to reopen, its irresponsible considering our country's treatment of sick leave.

I expect we'll have better treatment options by early Spring.

Tamandua

I can attest that people at my job (we're all remote now) are losing their minds. People are on edge. You can read it in the tone of emails and hear it in people's voices on the phone. I don't know about the number of suicides but the quality of life for many people is terrible. People are taking a lot of sick days just to try to relieve some of the stress. If this goes on much longer I think our company is going to suffer severe quality issues. People have sometimes just not shown up (logged in) without notice or explanation. Management is showing concern and starting to check in on people. I don't think this is sustainable. Personally I'd much rather get covid than continue living like this, but my personal freedom isn't as valuable as the health of people who can't take personal responsibility for themselves. I used to think I lived in America... Land of the free. Live free or die. Give me liberty or give me death! I guess I was wrong. I dunno what this country is but freedom is nowhere to be found. Now they're turning off our water and power if we have too many people over. What a time to be alive.

Phroobar

Original Poster
I can attest that people at my job (we're all remote now) are losing their minds. People are on edge. You can read it in the tone of emails and hear it in people's voices on the phone. I don't know about the number of suicides but the quality of life for many people is terrible. People are taking a lot of sick days just to try to relieve some of the stress. If this goes on much longer I think our company is going to suffer severe quality issues. People have sometimes just not shown up (logged in) without notice or explanation. Management is showing concern and starting to check in on people. I don't think this is sustainable. Personally I'd much rather get covid than continue living like this, but my personal freedom isn't as valuable as the health of people who can't take personal responsibility for themselves. I used to think I lived in America... Land of the free. Live free or die. Give me liberty or give me death! I guess I was wrong. I dunno what this country is but freedom is nowhere to be found. Now they're turning off our water and power if we have too many people over. What a time to be alive.
What type of business do you work for?

cmwade77

We did a road trip and most of the country is far more open than we are and honestly, they are doing just fine, theme parks have proven to be able to reopen safely across the country, there really is no reason that the local liquor shop or smoke shop should be able to be open when they have proven they can't handle social distancing while theme parks can't open, even though they have proven they can do so safely.

But I am also with you, I would rather get Covid than continue on like this and I know many, many people feel the same way, I know a few who have said they would rather die than continue on like this. They claim (and I think quite fairly) that what they are doing isn't living, it is simply existing. Let that sink in, people would rather die than continue on, now these aren't people who will commit suicide, but they would rather take the risks of getting a disease that they know would likely kill them due to their preexisting conditions than continue on like this.

Professortango1

We did a road trip and most of the country is far more open than we are and honestly, they are doing just fine, theme parks have proven to be able to reopen safely across the country, there really is no reason that the local liquor shop or smoke shop should be able to be open when they have proven they can't handle social distancing while theme parks can't open, even though they have proven they can do so safely.

But I am also with you, I would rather get Covid than continue on like this and I know many, many people feel the same way, I know a few who have said they would rather die than continue on like this. They claim (and I think quite fairly) that what they are doing isn't living, it is simply existing. Let that sink in, people would rather die than continue on, now these aren't people who will commit suicide, but they would rather take the risks of getting a disease that they know would likely kill them due to their preexisting conditions than continue on like this.

People often say they would rather die than do something, but then will fight for their lives. Many anti-mask folk who have been hospitalized or have died have posted how they wish they would have listened. The funny thing is that we could be almost fully reopened if people had taken personal responsibility. Instead, they turned ignorance and selfishness into a political issue and have dragged things out further.

If you would rather die than wear a mask or practice social distancing, then I invite you to please put your money where your mouth is. I have had students bury their parents. I have seen children with permanent organ damage. I have watched people lose limbs. And if you're unwilling to help stop these things from occurring, society would probably be healthier without you. Nobody should die because another person can't stomach a few months of living responsibly during a pandemic.

MoonRakerSCM

My sister is thinking about going to this, I'll probably join.

I was in Vegas this past weekend for a half marathon and some fun on the strip... it was different, but hit the spot. What sucks is right now, I dare say I've dipped into an even worse than before depression as it's back to normal... at home every night, can't do any fun, can't do anything normal... even though I had an escape last weekend, it just highlighted what is happening here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom