All things Knotts Berry Farm

Professortango1

Knott's is working on mazes, along with other park projects, using the staff on hand, keeping them on a regular working schedule. Knott's did not layoff their full time employees.

As far as I know, the auditions are being done with recorded video for the initial part, and still being accepted.

Since Knott's owns the land, and has already sold season passes to Haunt specifically, Haunt could operate and break even, or even make a profit, similar to what WDW is doing with its parks.

Having some guests are better than no guests.

Knott's management said they could wait until mid-August to make a final decision, but my guess, they will do it closer to early August.

Some guests isn't always better than no guests. I run a theater and if theaters are allowed to reopen similarly to churches (25% capacity), we will need to remain closed until things change. We don't start to break even until we're at around 50% capacity. If Knotts was to put money into fully launching Scary Farm and was set to only allow 30% of capacity, they will have a much more difficult time breaking even, especially is season passes to Haunt are already sold based upon an outdated pricing model. Add an unexpected shut down, and Knotts is now in the hole.

Also, with COVID, Knotts should be hiring more staff as many Scare Actors do naturally get sick in the course of the run. The late nights, the colder weather with sweat chilling your body, the physical exertion. Where before actors would muscle through it, Knotts would need to send these sick actors home and replace them with other actors as well as possibly quarantine those who worked alongside the sick actor.

I LOVE Scary Farm and Halloween, but doing a Haunt with mazes and monsters is just not a wise business move at the moment.

cmwade77

Some guests isn't always better than no guests. I run a theater and if theaters are allowed to reopen similarly to churches (25% capacity), we will need to remain closed until things change. We don't start to break even until we're at around 50% capacity. If Knotts was to put money into fully launching Scary Farm and was set to only allow 30% of capacity, they will have a much more difficult time breaking even, especially is season passes to Haunt are already sold based upon an outdated pricing model. Add an unexpected shut down, and Knotts is now in the hole.

Also, with COVID, Knotts should be hiring more staff as many Scare Actors do naturally get sick in the course of the run. The late nights, the colder weather with sweat chilling your body, the physical exertion. Where before actors would muscle through it, Knotts would need to send these sick actors home and replace them with other actors as well as possibly quarantine those who worked alongside the sick actor.

I LOVE Scary Farm and Halloween, but doing a Haunt with mazes and monsters is just not a wise business move at the moment.
There is a difference though, a theater has to open with essentially the same amount of staff (aside from ushers perhaps), so yes, live theaters need a certain amount of capacity to break even. Theme parks on the other hand can scale back hours, staffing, even leave some attractions closed to reduce operating costs and make it easier to break even with reduced capacity. Cedar Fair has previously said that it feels their theme parks could operate profitably at something like 15% of capacity.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Now that Universal Studios has officially cancelled Horror Nights for this year, how long do you think it will be before Knott's cancels Haunt for this year?

Although, I do wonder if Taste of Calico is also a way to test trying to figure out a modified replacement somehow.
Will be announced next month.

Professortango1

There is a difference though, a theater has to open with essentially the same amount of staff (aside from ushers perhaps), so yes, live theaters need a certain amount of capacity to break even. Theme parks on the other hand can scale back hours, staffing, even leave some attractions closed to reduce operating costs and make it easier to break even with reduced capacity. Ced
ar Fair has previously said that it feels their theme parks could operate profitably at something like 15% of capacity.

We're a non profit, no staff wages to worry about. We're talking just about the costs of producing a show. For Knotts, they need to cover construction, permits, technical upgrades/repair, music, lighting design, etc. Then they have to legally hire and train new employees, a process which is not cheap in CA.

I'm sure they can cut enough corners to make some profit, but an unanticipated shut down still is a very realistic possibility.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I said it months ago and I will say it again now. There will be noooo Halloween Events at ANY THEME PARKS this year. You can't do it. If you think it's gonna happen you are fooling yourself. Knott's will be the next to cancel with Scary Farm. Ain't happening.

cmwade77

I said it months ago and I will say it again now. There will be noooo Halloween Events at ANY THEME PARKS this year. You can't do it. If you think it's gonna happen you are fooling yourself. Knott's will be the next to cancel with Scary Farm. Ain't happening.
Actually, SeaWorld can easily do theirs, it was by nature socially distanced anyway, but it was also included in regular admission. Same for the San Diego Zoo. I can see other theme parks doing that, incorporating it into their regular operating day.

Darkbeer1

Actually, SeaWorld can easily do theirs, it was by nature socially distanced anyway, but it was also included in regular admission. Same for the San Diego Zoo. I can see other theme parks doing that, incorporating it into their regular operating day.

Knott's has been doing Knott's Spooky Farm for kids in Camp Snoopy for years. Free with admission, including trick or treating.

cmwade77

Th3 DUd3

I can lead my Disney horse to water back on 6/25, but I can’t make it drink. I still think my Homecoming Festival & Revival can work. Knott’s just reads forums more 😉.

DisneyEthan

Anyone go this last Sat/Sun? Just curious how things were with the longer hours and hopefully some of the kinks worked out.
I did, it was awesome, decent amount of people, but longest line I was in was for 10 min! The temp check and security and ticketing were all walk ons, I got there about 130pm. I have a video on my channel about it if you want to see what it looked like

Stevek

Update on the 2 additional weekends.

Friday, July 31: 12 PM - 9 PM — SOLD OUT
Saturday, Aug. 1
: 12 PM - 9 PM — SOLD OUT
Sunday, Aug. 2
: 12 PM - 8 PM
Friday, Aug. 7: 12 PM - 9 PM
Saturday, Aug. 8: 12 PM - 9 PM
Sunday, Aug. 9: 12 PM - 8 PM

I do wonder if they will keep extending it...really no reason not to if they keep selling out. I'd like to see them do weekends themed to Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas as well.

Darkbeer1

New description released by Knott's.

>>
One of the most nostalgic and beloved attractions of #KnottsBerryFarm returns in a whole new way! Knott's Bear-y Tales: Return to the Fair takes place 34 years after the original story. You'll see old friends, meet new ones, and help save the day recovering stolen boysenberry pies. Get ready for an adventure on this all-new interactive 4-D dark ride, coming soon!
116205804_295819828169004_3075452647680236353_n.jpg
<<

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

New description released by Knott's.

>>
One of the most nostalgic and beloved attractions of #KnottsBerryFarm returns in a whole new way! Knott's Bear-y Tales: Return to the Fair takes place 34 years after the original story. You'll see old friends, meet new ones, and help save the day recovering stolen boysenberry pies. Get ready for an adventure on this all-new interactive 4-D dark ride, coming soon!
116205804_295819828169004_3075452647680236353_n.jpg
<<
There should be a cameo from some of the Dinos and they eat the bears.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom