All By Myself (Sort of…) – A Solo Summer Trip Report

A Little Background Info

I just got back from the World last week and as the title of this report suggests, it was my first ever solo trip. I had a work conference from July 23rd to 29th in Orlando so I decided that I may as well stay a couple extra days to enjoy WDW. My work was paying for my flights to and from Orlando so it would be stupid of me not to extend my trip, right?! I also have an annual pass this year so it was like my park admission was free! Hahaha Well, it’s not really free but it sure feels like it when I can come and go as much as I please with an AP! I asked my husband, Wes, if he wanted to go with me but he said that twice a year was enough for him so he would pass. See, we were just in WDW in February for the Princess Half Marathon and we are going back in November with my family. So my solo trip makes 3 trips for me this year! As much as I love Disney, I realize that 3 times is a little much so I was okay with the hubby not joining me.

I wasn’t sure about going alone so I tried to talk my friend who went with me in September 2010 but she is in Grad school so she couldn’t come. Then I asked my Mom if she would want to join me but she wasn’t interested in fighting off the summer crowds and heat. So it looked like I was flying solo for this one.

Now all of my co-workers know how much I love WDW so when I told them that I was going to extend my stay after conference to go to WDW and that I would be available as a tour guide, one co-worker said she would love for me to show her family around. So the (Sort of…) in the title refers to the fact that one day of my trip, I was not solo but I was a tour guide to a family of 4!

The Details

Who: Just me, Ashley, 26

IMG_2585.jpg

That’s me, behind the gorilla, on my Feb 2012 trip

When: July 30 – August 1

Where: Disney’s Pop Century Resort

Now enough with introductions and on with the trip report!

Monday July 23rd to Sunday July 29th – Work Conference Pre-Disney

As I mentioned, the main reason for this trip was because of a work conference that would require me being in Orlando from July 23rd through the 29th. I packed up my luggage and was ready to head to Orlando!

IMG_0309.jpg

I flew down to Orlando with 3 other co-workers which was nicer than flying alone. We arrived in Orlando and I led the way through the airport. I was so sad not to be going straight to the DME counter like I usually do. Instead, we had to go to baggage claim and actually pick up our own bags. Boo.

I won’t share all the details of my work conference but there are a few Disney related things worth mentioning so just stick with me on this. :) I checked in to my room and was very impressed with the view.

IMG_0311.jpg

Our conference was at the JW Marriott Orlando Grande Lakes and it was a beautiful hotel. My first night at the hotel I went to bed really early since I was so exhausted from the day's activities. It was a little after 10pm and I thought the room felt really hot so I got up to check the balcony door to make sure that I had shut it all the way earlier that day. I know that sometimes the air conditioning doesn’t work properly if that door isn’t shut. So when I went to go check the door, I saw fireworks off in the distance. Could it be Disney’s fireworks?! I got on my phone and checked TouringPlans.com and sure enough the MK was scheduled to show Wishes at 10pm. I was pretty sure these must be them but I still wasn’t sure since I didn’t even know which direction I was looking. So I looked at Google Maps and WDW was directly to my west. I then used my Compass app and, sure enough, I was looking right at WDW! The next morning I looked out my window in the direction where I saw the fireworks and I could see Bay Lake Tower, the Contemporary and Space Mountain. A little to the left, I could also see Spaceship Earth! I was beyond thrilled of this new found view!

IMG_3212.jpg

BLT_Cont_SM.jpg

zoomed in on BLT, Contemporary and Space Mountain

SSE.jpg

zoomed in on Spaceship Earth

Two other nights during the conference portion of my trip I was able to be in my room at 10pm and watch Wishes from my room! I played the Wishes soundtrack while I watched and I actually did a pretty good job of syncing up the music to the fireworks! It was such a nice little touch of Disney while I was away from home, without my husband and so close to my mini-vaca at WDW.

You can see the un-zoomed view from my room of the fireworks off in the distance. The picture does not do them justice. They didn’t seem as far away in real life.

IMG_3219.jpg

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
Monday July 30th – My First Day Solo at WDW

This morning I was finally able to sleep in a little bit after conference. I slept until a whopping 8:30! Woo hoo! Hahaha After a week of waking up at 6, 8:30 was glorious! I had packed all of my stuff up the day before since I knew I didn’t want to waste any more time away from WDW. My co-worker’s husband (the same co-worker who I would be a tour guide for on Tuesday) gave me a ride to Pop Century around 10:45am.

I had finally arrived on Disney property! It was like I heard angels singing! I had used online check in so I got in line and almost immediately was at the counter picking up my room key. I hadn’t made any special requests since I was only there 2 nights so I was super excited when the cast member told me I would be in the 50’s building! I really wanted to be in a building close to the Classic Hall since I would be alone on this trip but I didn’t want to pay for a requested room. It couldn’t have worked out better! I was in the Lady building on the first floor and my room was ready at 11am! I grabbed my key and made my way to my room.

IMG_3229.jpg

IMG_3220.jpg

IMG_3222.jpg

IMG_3223.jpg

I love vintage stuff so I was in LOVE with this art work in the room! I want one for my house!

IMG_3224.jpg

IMG_3227.jpg

I quickly unpacked my suitcase, loaded up on sunscreen and headed to the parks. Of course I took some pictures on the way. :)

IMG_3230.jpg

IMG_3231.jpg

IMG_3232.jpg

Lady and the Tramp is currently my favorite Disney movie so I was loving the themeing.

IMG_0331.jpg

A little Instagram action :)

IMG_3233.jpg

IMG_3234.jpg

IMG_3236.jpg

IMG_3237.jpg

IMG_3238.jpg

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
I decided that I would go to Animal Kingdom since I normally don’t spend that much time in this park. I figured that solo touring of AK would allow me to take my time and soak in all of the wonderful details in this park. I got to the bus stop at 11:51 and a bus arrived at 11:58. There was a wheelchair that needed to be loaded on the bus so we didn’t leave Pop until 12:05. After we left Pop, we stopped at Blizzard Beach before we arrived at AK around 12:24.

IMG_3239.jpg

I love the detail on this lantern. I don’t think I have ever noticed this before.

IMG_3240.jpg

First thing I did when I entered the park was take my time walking through the Oasis. Normally we walk straight past the exhibits but since it was just me I could walk as slowly as I wanted.

IMG_3241.jpg

IMG_3243.jpg

IMG_3245.jpg

I didn’t actually see a Swamp Wallaby but I took the time to read the sign about them :)

IMG_3246.jpg

IMG_3247.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

This is one of 2 pictures of myself from this trip. A major downside of going on a solo trip.

IMG_3248.jpg

On my February trip I started taking a bunch of pictures of myself and my husband popping out from behind different objects. Well since I was going solo this trip, I needed a new picture series to focus on. I took some trashcan pictures on my February trip but I really went for it this trip. I have a whole pictures series of, what I like to call, “The trashcans of WDW”. Creative, huh? And here is the first in the series.

IMG_3250.jpg

IMG_3251.jpg

IMG_3252.jpg

IMG_3253.jpg

Such a cute owl on the Disney Outfitters building.

I checked out a lemur exhibit around the Tree of Life and got some knowledge from a cast member. A lot of the cast members near the animal exhibits started up a conversation with me as I took my pictures and viewed the animals throughout the day. It was really nice of them since I think they could tell that I was a loner for the day.

Next up I decided to make my way to Asia to ride Expedition Everest.

IMG_3254.jpg

IMG_3255.jpg

IMG_3256.jpg

IMG_3257.jpg

IMG_3258.jpg

IMG_3259.jpg

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
IMG_3261.jpg

IMG_3262.jpg

I knew that I wouldn’t ride too many attractions this trip since I didn’t want to wait in a long line by myself but the single rider line was a lifesaver! I hopped in the single rider line and after about a 5 minute wait, I was off on a journey to find the Yeti! I was seated next to a girl who was on the ride for the first time so it was neat to see and hear her reactions. Her group was seated right in front of us and one of the guys in her group was screaming louder than us.

After the ride I decided to spend a little time in the gift shop. Normally I just walk straight through but I decided to check out some of the details.

IMG_3266.jpg

IMG_3267.jpg

IMG_3264.jpg

IMG_3268.jpg

Next up was the Maharajah Jungle Trek. This is another attraction that I normally breeze through but I really took my time. I also spotted this cool detail along the way.

IMG_3269.jpg

IMG_3270.jpg

IMG_3271.jpg

IMG_3274.jpg

IMG_3275.jpg

I brought my Hidden Mickey book and began my search for some hidden Mickeys.

IMG_3276.jpg

IMG_3277.jpg

After the first archway a really sweet older cast member saw me with my book and gave me some pointers on finding the next set of hidden Mickeys. She was super sweet and really helpful.

IMG_3279.jpg

It seems the tigers are always sleeping when I am there.

IMG_3280.jpg

IMG_3281.jpg

IMG_3284.jpg

IMG_3292.jpg

IMG_3294.jpg

After the MJT, I walked through one of the shops and then stopped to look at the gibbons. Fun Fact: A cast member informed me that gibbons do not have tails and that means they are apes, not monkeys. Now you know.

IMG_3295.jpg

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
IMG_3296.jpg

Next up was Africa. I wasn’t sure what I was going to do there but I figured I would see where I ended up.

IMG_3297.jpg

On the way to Africa, I finally saw DeVine! I have never seen her before so it was really cool to finally see her. There was a crowd gathering so it was pretty easy to spot what was happening. Very cool though.

IMG_3300.jpg

I arrived in Africa and decided to go for a ride on the Wildlife Express train. I didn’t want to visit Rafiki’s Planet Watch since I had just been there in February but I figured it would be nice to sit down and see some of the backstage areas where the animals are kept.

IMG_3301.jpg

IMG_3302.jpg

After a very short trip, I arrived back in Harambe and realized that I better eat some lunch soon. It was around 2pm and I was getting really hungry. I made my way to Flame Tree Barbeque.

IMG_3303.jpg

IMG_3304.jpg

I got the BBQ pork sandwich and it was delicious! And one thing that was nice about eating such a late lunch was that there were plenty of choices of where to sit. I actually sat in the seating area overlooking Asia which I had never been to before. I hated eating alone but luckily I had an iPhone to keep me busy. I was able to get updated on my entertainment news thanks to my TMZ app!

IMG_3305.jpg

IMG_3306.jpg

IMG_3309.jpg

After lunch I decided that it was time to head to the Magic Kingdom. So I left the very hot Animal Kingdom and made my way to the buses. I didn’t realize that to get to the MK from AK that you had to take a bus to the TTC. As I was approaching the bus stop I could see that a bus was just pulling away. Luckily the driver could tell that I was going to that bus and he stopped about 3 stops up for me. Such a nice cast member. I was very appreciative.

I arrived at the TTC and hopped on a monorail to the MK.

IMG_3312.jpg

IMG_3313.jpg

At some point while in the AK my camera started saying it had a low battery. I was so upset because this solo day was going to be mostly me taking a ton of pictures! I was really bummed but hoped that my camera would make it through the day. I started using my iPhone camera for some pictures and fortunately my camera battery never died.

IMG_0336.jpg

What a glorious sight!

IMG_0337.jpg

I didn’t really have a game plan for today so I just walked with the crowds towards the castle.

IMG_3314.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

Another instagram pic

IMG_3317.jpg

I walked straight through the castle and made my way to the new Storybook Circus. I was excited to see the new area. The signage in this area was very impressive.

IMG_3318.jpg

IMG_3319.jpg

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
The trash cans were pretty awesome too! :)

IMG_3320.jpg

IMG_3322.jpg

IMG_3323.jpg

IMG_3324.jpg

IMG_3325.jpg

I didn’t go on any of the attractions but I simply observed the area. It looked like a lot of kids were having a great time in the Casey Jr. Splash and Soak Station. I was very tempted to jump in there. It was so hot! I resisted the urge and instead decided to take a ride on the Walt Disney World Railroad. At this point I really had no idea where I wanted to go but I figured that a ride around the MK might help me make up my mind.

IMG_3326.jpg

I arrived in Frontierland and decided that Tom Sawyer Island sounded like a good idea. As we boarded the boat to get to TSI, the cast member informed us that a storm was coming and they would suspend the boats if there was lightning. I decided to head over there anyway and hopped on the Injun Joe.

IMG_3327.jpg

I have only been to TSI 2 times in the last couple years and both times Fort Langhorn was closed so that was my main destination today.

IMG_3328.jpg

Love the trivia on the crate.

IMG_3329.jpg

IMG_3330.jpg

IMG_3331.jpg

IMG_3332.jpg

IMG_3333.jpg

IMG_3334.jpg

IMG_3335.jpg

I decided that I shouldn’t risk getting stuck on the island so I did a little more exploring and then I made my way to the boat. Once back in Frontierland, I realized that I needed some AC so the Hall of Presidents was right up my alley!

IMG_3336.jpg

There was only 4 minutes until the next show so the waiting area was pretty packed. I stood in a back corner and waited for the mobs of people to enter the theater. Of course, the cast member had made an announcement about filling in all available space and moving to the end of the row. Well wouldn’t you know it but everyone who went in a row first decided to stop right in the middle. Really, people? Do you not realize that it is July and there are about a million people in this park? Really. And did you not hear the cast member tell you to move all the way down? Ugh. I heard a couple people behind me complaining and they said “A cast person will make them move down”. Well, there was no more announcements about moving down. People literally walked around to the other side of the theater to fill in the seats on the other side. Ugh! That drives me nuts. Why couldn’t the cast person make another announcement and why aren’t people smart?! Ok, enough of my ranting. I know you people get me. Hahaha

I really love the Hall of Presidents but I was really having a hard time keeping my eyes open. I managed to pull it together though and stay awake for the entire production. Now another quick venting session, if you don’t mind. :) During the part when they announce each President, some people started applauding for certain Presidents. The first one a couple people cheered for was Ronald Reagan. So of course when they announced Bill Clinton, the opposing people had to cheer in response. Then, when they announced President Barack Obama those same people who cheered for Reagan actually booed. Are you kidding me?! We are in freaking Disney World and you are going to tarnish that by bringing in your own political views. I even heard a little child say something to the extent of “get him out of office”. What is wrong with people? How does that little boy even know about politics? The sad thing is that he probably has no idea but he hears his parents talk about how they hate the President and he wants to fit in. It is just sad. I don’t care if you agree or disagree with a President’s actions but I think it is so rude and disrespectful to boo when his name is announced during the Hall of Presidents. And it is especially rude to all of the other patrons who are just trying to enjoy their vacation from the real world. Whew. Glad I got that off my chest.

After the HoP, I went to my absolutely favorite store…Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe!

IMG_3337.jpg

I have an all Disney Christmas tree so I am always looking for more ornaments. Wes thinks that I have way too many ornaments but he just doesn’t realize how many you can actually fit on a tree! And worst case scenario, we simply get another tree! :) I ended up buying 2 of the new Mickey ears ornaments. I bought the Minnie and Mouseketeer ornaments that are super cute.

I made my way to Tomorrowland in hopes of riding the Peoplemover. This was an attraction that I knew I could do solo. I arrived in Tomorrowland to see that the Peoplemover wasn’t working. So sad. At that point I decided to head back to the resort since tonight I would be going out with some co-workers who had also stuck around after conference. We were going to go to some piano bar in the area. I know. Crazy. I was leaving Disney property. I never leave Disney property on a regular trip but remember this was a short solo trip with not much pre-trip planning. So I needed to head back to the resort to get ready for them to pick me up at 7:45.

I had wanted to get some dinner at Casey’s Corner but since I had eaten such a late lunch I figured I would just get something from the Pop Century food court.

I made my way to exit the park stopping to take a couple more photos along the way.

IMG_3339.jpg

IMG_3340.jpg

IMG_3341.jpg

I think these dolls are so cute!

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
IMG_3342.jpg

IMG_3343.jpg

When I saw the above poster of the Orange bird from Sunshine Tree Terrace I realized that I had wanted to go there for a Citrus Swirl and check it out. In fact, before I left on this trip I had made wonderful plans of exploring all of the parts of the park I had never been and trying new food that I had wanted to try. Well, unfortunately with all of the chaos of conference, I had forgotten my list at home and had almost completely forgotten the plans I made in my head. I was so happy that I saw this poster and it triggered all of those post conference plans! I still had time to check some of those things off my mental list.

IMG_3344.jpg

I got to the bus station and didn’t have long to wait for a bus.

IMG_0340.jpg

Anyone watching Bunheads on ABC Family? Such a clever and witty show. Wasn’t sure I would like it but I was really surprised at how funny it was. Worth seeing if you haven’t been watching.

I arrived back at Pop and decided to stop by the food court to get some dinner.

IMG_3345.jpg

Oh, how I wish I had just gotten dinner in the MK. Ugh. I was so dumb. I really didn’t like any of the selections from the food court menu but I figured I would try the vegetable lo mein. Why I thought this would be good, I am not sure. I chalk it up to being off my game in this solo trip scenario. I took my food back to my room and it was very much blah. Here’s a picture in case you are interested in seeing what lackluster vegetable lo mein looks like.

IMG_0341.jpg

I ate a very small portion of my dinner and then got ready for my night at the piano bar. I left my room and made my way to the lobby to wait for my co-workers. Of course, I took pictures along the way with my freshly charged camera battery.

IMG_3346.jpg

IMG_3347.jpg

I took a lot of time to look at the display in the lobby. I love all of the collages from each decade. Very cool. Here are some of my favorites.

IMG_3348.jpg

This one is basically a synopsis of my childhood.

IMG_3349.jpg

IMG_3350.jpg

My friends picked me up and we left for the piano bar. I was sad to be leaving Disney for the night when I could have been seeing Wishes but I figured it was nice to have some friendly company. And it was nice to celebrate conference being over. We ordered a margarita bucket and it was yummy.

IMG_0342.jpg

I won’t share all of the details of the piano bar since it wasn’t Disney related but we had a good time. My co-workers dropped me off at Pop around midnight. I said goodbye and told the one couple that I would see them tomorrow at 8:30 at Hollywood Studios. I then quickly walked to my room, slightly intoxicated, and went to bed.

IMG_0350.jpg

Goodnight Stacy!

steviej

that's awesome. I did a solo trip by myself in 08 and had a lot more fun than I expected, where did you get that margarita bucket? Is the name of the place Piano Bar?

PineapplePrincess

I would love to go on a solo trip, but there's no way my DH would let me go without him. I know what you mean about HoP. We ended up walking around when people stopped in the middle. I was bracing myself for rude behavior during the introduction of the Presidents, but luckily we didn't encounter that.

HouCuseChickie

Love the solo trip! I'm also really liking the trash cans. I remember back in 2010 having DD3 be highly entertained by the details of one of the ones near R&C in Epcot...I think we need to look at more trash cans next trip. Also very cool with your room view during the conference.

Totally agree about never too many ornaments. I had a tree disaster last year and I'm not totally over it, but at some point I will move on and start pushing towards having so many that we need a 2nd tree. Do you happen to recall if the shop in MK has any of the Lenox Disney ornaments? I have a Minnie ears ornament that didn't do so well (along wtih about 20 others) when my tree came crashing down last year.

Can't wait to read more!

LivFreeorDisney

Great trip report. I also did a solo trip after a conference back in 07 and was fun but not The same without my wife. Can't wait to read more of your report.

PolynesianPrincess

Love this TR Ashley!! Bummer that the conference had to interfere with Disney right? lol oh well, at least it's extra Disney days you wouldn't have gotten had you not had to go for work!! :)

I like the nice leisure pace you're taking at the parks. I always want to try and slow down and just enjoy everything but we're always GO GO GO!!!!

Can't wait to read some more! :)

PartOfYourWorld

Glad you got to spend a couple days at WDW after your conference!!! And that Aurora doll you had a picture of you said they were cute?? Well I own all of them. I just could not pass those girls up, they are so stinkin' cute!

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
Oh yay I can't wait to read more! I have always thought about doing a solo trip one day... way off in the distance!

thanks! solo trips are very different. i much prefer going with friends and family but if a solo trip is the only option to visit wdw, i wouldn't say no. :D

LOL your trip so far sounds like what a solo trip would be for me too. I'd have no idea what to do with myself. LOL!

since it was just me, i was really off my usual game. normally i have adrs that dictate which park i go to and when but this trip was much more laid back.

that's awesome. I did a solo trip by myself in 08 and had a lot more fun than I expected, where did you get that margarita bucket? Is the name of the place Piano Bar?

yea, i wasn't sure that i would like visiting the parks solo but it actually wasn't that bad. the margarita bucket was from howl at the moon, which is a piano bar on international drive. we visited on a monday so there wasn't much of a crowd but we still had a really good time. the margarita bucket probably had a lot to do with that. hahaha :D

I would love to go on a solo trip, but there's no way my DH would let me go without him. I know what you mean about HoP. We ended up walking around when people stopped in the middle. I was bracing myself for rude behavior during the introduction of the Presidents, but luckily we didn't encounter that.

i am still shocked by the rude behavior of some people. you are so lucky that you didn't have any incidents during HoP.

I would totally love to do a solo trip. Just being able to do what you want when you want. Ahhhh I am so jelly!

that was the nicest part about the solo trip. other than the freedom to do whatever i felt like, i missed having friends there to enjoy the trip with.

Love the solo trip! I'm also really liking the trash cans. I remember back in 2010 having DD3 be highly entertained by the details of one of the ones near R&C in Epcot...I think we need to look at more trash cans next trip. Also very cool with your room view during the conference.

Totally agree about never too many ornaments. I had a tree disaster last year and I'm not totally over it, but at some point I will move on and start pushing towards having so many that we need a 2nd tree. Do you happen to recall if the shop in MK has any of the Lenox Disney ornaments? I have a Minnie ears ornament that didn't do so well (along wtih about 20 others) when my tree came crashing down last year.

Can't wait to read more!

i would have never thought that i would take pictures of trash cans but wdw just makes them so pretty!

oh no! that is so upsetting about your tree. i can't even imagine how horrible that would be. sorry but i didn't see any lenox disney ornaments in the shop.

more is coming soon! i was away this weekend but i'm working on the next installment now.

Great trip report. I also did a solo trip after a conference back in 07 and was fun but not The same without my wife. Can't wait to read more of your report.

thank you! i agree about solo trips. fun but just not as fun as if my hubby would have been there.

Love your pics! :)
75.gif

thanks!

Glad you got to spend a couple days at WDW after your conference!!! And that Aurora doll you had a picture of you said they were cute?? Well I own all of them. I just could not pass those girls up, they are so stinkin' cute!

hahaha those dolls are so adorable! i'm very jealous.

Great trip report! Love the pictures!

thank you very much!! more coming soon.

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
Tuesday July 31 – Here Goes Nothing! Tour Guide for the Day

Today was the day that I would be acting as a tour guide for my co-worker and her family. After visiting the piano bar the night before and drinking a good majority of our margarita bucket, I was shocked that I was up bright and early at 7:20. Actually, I had some trouble sleeping the night before. I think between my location on the first floor, drinking and knowing that I needed to be up early to meet my co-worker, I kept waking up every couple of hours. I woke up before my alarm went off and was out of my room by 7:50.

IMG_3351.jpg

IMG_3352.jpg

IMG_3353.jpg

IMG_3354.jpg

IMG_3355.jpg

I wanted to venture around the resort to take some pictures of the different sections but I didn’t want to be late meeting my guests so I made my way to the buses.

IMG_3357.jpg

IMG_3359.jpg

IMG_3360.jpg

I didn’t wait long for a bus and was on my way to Hollywood Studios by 8:01.

IMG_3361.jpg

I arrived at the park at 8:15 and my guests weren’t supposed to meet me until 8:30. I got in line at a turnstile and kept an eye out for my guests to arrive. I texted them to let them know that I was at the park and they let me know that they would be there around 8:45. By the time they arrived the lines at the turnstile were very long and my guests didn’t want to be rude and cut in line to join me. I was so proud of my co-worker for not wanting to cut in line! :) You gotta love good theme park manners.

So my guests today would be my co-worker, her husband, her 18 year old daughter and 12 year old son. I will refer to them as the Dad, the Daughter, the Son and the Mom/co-worker. Around 8:50, we were allowed to enter the park so I waited near the park maps display for my guests to work their way into the park. As I waited, I snapped a picture of a very lovely trash can that was right next to me.

IMG_3363.jpg

My guests made it through the gate and I was excited to begin our day of touring! First up was Toy Story Midway Mania! My guests had never been on this attraction since the last time they visited was in 2003.

IMG_3364.jpg

When we arrived at TSMM, I was shocked that the Fastpass lines were non-existent and there was no wait time posted in the standby line. My plan for this morning was for all of us to ride via the standby line and then when we exited the attraction, my guests would get back in the standby line while I went to get Fastpasses for either Rock n’ RollerCoaster or Tower of Terror, depending on their wait times.

We were breezing through the standby line and then we stopped right before we got to the 3D glasses. I didn’t think much of it and then there was an announcement that the ride had temporarily stopped. I was starting to get worried that my whole game plan for the morning would be off but luckily we started moving less than 5 minutes later.

We made our way to the loading area and I rode solo.

IMG_3366.jpg

IMG_3368.jpg

There must have been a hitchhiking ghost on the red side. How did he get 100% accuracy?! Impressive.

I beat my guests with my score, which is a first for me since Wes beats my score about 9 times out of 10, so I was excited to win one. We exited the ride and saw that the posted wait time was 60 minutes. I checked my Lines app and the expected wait time was only about 20 minutes so I sent them through the standby line again while I headed to Sunset Boulevard to grab us some fastpasses.

It was nice to take my time on the walk down Sunset since I knew my guests would be in line for a little bit. So I strolled and took some pictures along the way.

IMG_3369.jpg

IMG_3371.jpg

IMG_3372.jpg

I saw that Tower of Terror only had a 20 minute wait and RNR was up to a 40 minute wait, so I got Fastpasses for RnR. After I got the FPs, I got a text from my guests that they had gotten out of the standby line to use the bathroom and they would wait for me in Pixar Place. What?! So much for my leisure time to explore and take pictures. I was so shocked that they got out of the line to use the restroom. I was also kind of surprised that they didn’t just say they had to use the restroom. Oh boy. I didn’t let it bother me too much since it was about them having a good time but it was a little frustrating since I had told them to use standby so we could get a Fastpass for another attraction.

I quickly made my way back to Pixar Place to meet my guests. When I got there they said that they weren’t sure when bathroom breaks would be allowed. Hahaha Oh man. I told them that they should just let me know when they need to take a bathroom break and I would be happy to stop and point them in the direction of the nearest restroom. :)

After we got that cleared up, we made our way to ride ToT. As we passed the Fastpass kiosk for TSMM, my guests asked if we could get some to use for later. Ugh. That is why I wanted them to use the standby line! Unfortunately, since I had already gotten FPs for RNR, we wouldn’t be able to get a FP for TSMM because of our lunch reservation. My frustration will take a little more explanation to fully understand. So here it is. My guests were originally planning to buy base tickets so we could visit Epcot. So I had made lunch reservations at Le Cellier for 11:35am and dinner reservations at La Hacienda de San Angel. Well, at our work conference we had a silent auction and WDW donated 4 one day park hopper tickets. My co-worker ended up winning the tickets while at conference so we knew that we now wanted to visit more than one park. Since DHS is so close to Epcot, I figured that this would be the best option and it was the park they were most interested in visiting, besides Epcot. Since we hadn’t originally planned to go to DHS, it threw off my original plan and our dining reservations weren’t ideal for maximizing park hopping. Since there was no way I was going to give up a Le Cellier lunch reservation for 5 that I had snagged super last minute, we were just going to have to make the best of the situation.

Ok, now back on track. I explained why we couldn’t get FPs and they were fine with moving on to Sunset Boulevard. When we got to ToT, the standby time now said 60 minutes. I was shocked since I had just been there only 5 minutes ago and it said 20. So I checked the Lines app again and it said that the expected wait was actually 24 minutes so I assured my guests that we should get in the standby line. As we made our way to the standby line, we saw a huge tour group leaving the line. So that is why the wait must have increased so much in such a short time. Luckily the tour group was leaving so the wait looked like it wouldn’t be too bad. We made our way through the queue and our wait time was around 20 minutes.

IMG_3373.jpg

IMG_3374.jpg

IMG_3375.jpg

We ended up sitting right in the front row and my guests really enjoyed the attraction. After ToT, we still had about 10 minutes before we could use our RnR Fastpasses so it was time for a bathroom break. My co-worker has trouble with her back so she was sitting out on RnR while I took the rest of her family. It was time for us to use our FPs so we cruised through the queue right to the recording studio.

IMG_3377.jpg

Its with these types of pictures that I wish I had a DSLR

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom