All boat rides (with the exception of Jungle Cruise) are either currently being drained or will be soon..

LiterallyNobody

Original Poster
Not surprising I guess. Keep them dry to keep stagnant water from becoming a problem. But from what I understand all the water based rides will be drained, except Jungle Cruise for some reason, until the parks are about to re-open. So when they do open again, fresh, clean water on all the rides.

esskay

Not surprising I guess. Keep them dry to keep stagnant water from becoming a problem. But from what I understand all the water based rides will be drained, except Jungle Cruise for some reason, until the parks are about to re-open. So when they do open again, fresh, clean water on all the rides.

Jungle cruise is fed by bay lake / seven seas lagoon (I think? Maybe? I know Rivers of America is), so possibly not as much of an issue as it's not a sealed body of water.

(I could be talking nonsense)

Edit: Mapped it - I'm wrong its just RoA

DisAl

I don't think there is a connection to the Rivers of America unless it is a buried pipe. If you look at the satellite photos the only connection the Jungle Cruise could have a connection to is the moat and the water around the central hub. RoA is connected to Seven Seas Lagoon by a canal that is used to get the riverboat to the maintenance dock on Bay Lake.
The main reason for draining all indoor water rides is that if the air conditioning is shut down you would have high humidity and probably mold and mildew and damage to the animatronics and other set pieces in just a few days.
The main reason for not draining Jungle Cruise is that since it is an outdoor ride every time it rains the water would have to be pumped out again.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No

Anything else you can share with us, Mr or Ms nobody? What is Disney planning on doing with all this downtime?

Josh Hendy

Doesn't sound like a bad idea to drain them, inspect the rides etc. If nothing else just dry them out to kill off some mold?
... and ... I don't know ... maybe patch some boats.

Is this also where they swing into action and do the big Yeti fix that I'm sure has already been designed, costed out and was waiting for the first opportunity?

MadTeacup

Doesn’t Kali drain every night
Into a large retention pool that is designed to hold the water until the next morning, yes. It doesn't however dump the water only to be filled with fresh water the next day.
Anything else you can share with us, Mr or Ms nobody? What is Disney planning on doing with all this downtime?
Allowing their Cast Members to spend time at home away from groups to reduce their risk of contracting COVID-19. Just because there's no guests in the parks doesn't mean working Cast Members aren't at risk.

N2dru

Into a large retention pool that is designed to hold the water until the next morning, yes. It doesn't however dump the water only to be filled with fresh water the next day.

Allowing their Cast Members to spend time at home away from groups to reduce their risk of contracting COVID-19. Just because there's no guests in the parks doesn't mean working Cast Members aren't at risk.

Wow didn't know they drained it completely every night. I know in California GRR's drainage basin is the Pacific Wharf section. But used mainly during renovations/refurbs not nightly. Maybe it has to do with California water usage laws etc...Florida is full of water😊

MadTeacup

Wow didn't know they drained it completely every night. I know in California GRR's drainage basin is the Pacific Wharf section. But used mainly during renovations/refurbs not nightly. Maybe it has to do with California water usage laws etc...Florida is full of water😊
To clarify, It's essentially a catch basin for when water isn't being pumped through the ride. Because the water and rafts travel downhill for much of the ride, it's designed so that when the pumps shut off at the end of the day, there is a large enough resevoir to contain all the water from the upper section of the river trough. Draining it is not part of the process of shutting it down, but a result of turning off the pumps and allowing the water to flow downhill to a resting point.

N2dru

To clarify, It's essentially a catch basin for when water isn't being pumped through the ride. Because the water and rafts travel downhill for much of the ride, it's designed so that when the pumps shut off at the end of the day, there is a large enough resevoir to contain all the water from the upper section of the river trough. Draining it is not part of the process of shutting it down, but a result of turning off the pumps and allowing the water to flow downhill to a resting point.
Interesting...thanks for the clarification.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom