Alcohol Served with Some Under 21?

Figgy1

Premium Member
Bring 2 forms of ID some servers will request it, Les Vins in France proofs almost everybody so does the Tune In Lounge. yes even Izma's grandmother gets proofed:rolleyes:

Smiley/OCD

What store? We buy alcohol all the time in front of kids. Seriously, without knowing different rules or laws of different areas, I cannot see why they'd do that unless the kid touched it. A store like that would get me calling a manager and likely losing my business permanently.
There is a law in NJ that says no alcoholic purchases can be made if anyone in the party is under 21. My brother had that issue when he ran in a store with his teenage daughter before Christmas...they wouldn't allow him to purchase with her in the store. I can't speak for other states, but here in NJ, the state ABC is VERY harsh on retailers when dealing with ID's...the retailers are just "CYA"

correcaminos

There is a law in NJ that says no alcoholic purchases can be made if anyone in the party is under 21. My brother had that issue when he ran in a store with his teenage daughter before Christmas...they wouldn't allow him to purchase with her in the store. I can't speak for other states, but here in NJ, the state ABC is VERY harsh on retailers when dealing with ID's...the retailers are just "CYA"
Yeah that's not true here. Nor is it in FL (family lives there, we buy alcohol all the time with our kid in tow). Like I said not knowing all laws, I would be livid. If it is law, then fine, but that's not the norm in a place like FL or here of course. It's been a while since I was in NJ - all of my family has moved from there. Though I swore we went to dinner with family and had alcohol with the kid there. Or is that different?

DisneyGigi

My son’s first trip as an adult, he was very ticked, he did not get carded. Lol. To be fair he looked older, but he was so proud and ready to show his ID. He was dining with us, but to also be fair, I got carded, there at 43. Go figure?
Edit to add, been to the grocery store HT and Walmart when my kids were teens buying a bottle of wine and they wanted everyone’s ID. I took it as a compliment, but was like really? These are my children in line with me... it was crazy. Their reply was I looked too young. I did not fuss lol

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
My son’s first trip as an adult, he was very ticked, he did not get carded. Lol. To be fair he looked older, but he was so proud and ready to show his ID. He was dining with us, but to also be fair, I got carded, there at 43. Go figure?

The one and only time I got carded? When I was 23, 24...and forgot to bring my DL.

Smiley/OCD

Yeah that's not true here. Nor is it in FL (family lives there, we buy alcohol all the time with our kid in tow). Like I said not knowing all laws, I would be livid. If it is law, then fine, but that's not the norm in a place like FL or here of course. It's been a while since I was in NJ - all of my family has moved from there. Though I swore we went to dinner with family and had alcohol with the kid there. Or is that different?
If you're out at dinner, yes, you can have a drink with a minor at the table...you just can't purchase it at a liquor store or bar with a minor.

Phonedave

A liquor store could conceivably have that, but that's not somewhere I go with a group of people or minors anyway. I was thinking a store that a child would be welcomed in - that wouldn't fly. Fortunately our grocery stores now can sell hard liquor so it isn't a separate stop any longer. Life is much better with that ;) Though kids cannot touch/handle it, but that's not hard to avoid too. Just like the cashiers who are under age don't touch it and just flag an 18 or older to run the alcohol through & check ID.

I will say what we might have grown up with was probably easier than what they do now with checking IDs and such ;)

We can buy beer, wine, and hard liquor in our grocery store now too. Because of NJ's insane laws, it is only in certain stores, and most of the time only in ShopRite.

I know that around here, a number of places have lost their liquor license for selling to minors. Liquor licenses in NJ are very expensive, and are difficult to obtain (sort of like NYC taxi medallions). I suspect that some place will prevent group sales where minors are present just in an abundance of caution.

Last edited:

Phonedave

Can you find that law? I have never heard that it was a law, but just a practice many stores follow. I may be wrong, but I don't see it listed as law anywhere

I went back and for with a similar issue with the ABC on a special events permit. A non=profit group I work with has an annual Oktoberfest fundraiser. I run the beverage sales. We try to make the event family friendly. We serve beer on tap. If I want to allow kids into the venue and have beer on tap, I cannot sell pitchers of beer. I can only sell what is considered a single serving (and no, the ABC does not consider a pitcher a single serving -yet I can sell a 1.5 liter masskrug - go figure). If I were to cordon off a "beer garden" for adults only, then I could sell pitchers into that area. There was no mention when dealing with the ABC about mixed age parties at the bar. Of course I was selling single servings meant for on premis consumption, so maybe there is a different law somewhere that I don't know about.

Phonedave

The average price for a "package goods"/ bar liquor licence in NJ is 500K+

Keep in mind that is set by supply and demand. There are a limited number of licensees in each municipality, the number of which are set by the municipality (welcome to New Jersey - land of home rule, enjoy your property taxes). Owners of coveted liquor licenses in NJ view them as retirement nest eggs. When they retire, they are often sold off to the highest bidder.

correcaminos

If you're out at dinner, yes, you can have a drink with a minor at the table...you just can't purchase it at a liquor store or bar with a minor.

Thanks! That's not uncommon to hear about though. Bars often have limits for ages and liquor stores too for the same reason. Like I said when I heard "store" I was thinking like a grocery store or the like. Not something alcohol only (or nearly only) related.

Smiley/OCD

Keep in mind that is set by supply and demand. There are a limited number of licensees in each municipality, the number of which are set by the municipality (welcome to New Jersey - land of home rule, enjoy your property taxes). Owners of coveted liquor licenses in NJ view them as retirement nest eggs. When they retire, they are often sold off to the highest bidder.
Actually, in NJ the number of liquor licences in any given municipality is based on population...I don't know the formula, but the number of residents = the number of licences.

Smiley/OCD

Can you find that law? I have never heard that it was a law, but just a practice many stores follow. I may be wrong, but I don't see it listed as law anywhere

I went back and for with a similar issue with the ABC on a special events permit. A non=profit group I work with has an annual Oktoberfest fundraiser. I run the beverage sales. We try to make the event family friendly. We serve beer on tap. If I want to allow kids into the venue and have beer on tap, I cannot sell pitchers of beer. I can only sell what is considered a single serving (and no, the ABC does not consider a pitcher a single serving -yet I can sell a 1.5 liter masskrug - go figure). If I were to cordon off a "beer garden" for adults only, then I could sell pitchers into that area. There was no mention when dealing with the ABC about mixed age parties at the bar. Of course I was selling single servings meant for on premis consumption, so maybe there is a different law somewhere that I don't know about.
Maybe I wasn't clear enough about that...the law pertains to package goods bought at a liquor store...it's right on the door...they won't sell to anyone if someone in the party is not of legal age...from what I've been told, it's so that a minor can't direct a person to pick out and make a purchase for the minor...I know, it's kinda stupid...they could just wait in the car, but that's NJ.

Sans Souci

Maybe I wasn't clear enough about that...the law pertains to package goods bought at a liquor store...it's right on the door...they won't sell to anyone if someone in the party is not of legal age...from what I've been told, it's so that a minor can't direct a person to pick out and make a purchase for the minor...I know, it's kinda stupid...they could just wait in the car, but that's NJ.

Wow. I didn't know that. I have brought my 17 yo son with me into Wine Works and nobody has said anything to me. I am usually only buying a single bottle of wine and snacks he picks out. I moved here a few years ago, so I had no idea. It's weird to me that I can't buy wine, beer and sprits in a super market here. I miss my Three Buck Chuck or whatever it costs now. LOL I live in South Jersey and I assumed it was a vestige of the Quakers' influence. (There's a Quaker meetinghouse at the end of my street!) I had no idea this was a statewide thing.

Smiley/OCD

Wow. I didn't know that. I have brought my 17 yo son with me into Wine Works and nobody has said anything to me. I am usually only buying a single bottle of wine and snacks he picks out. I moved here a few years ago, so I had no idea. It's weird to me that I can't buy wine, beer and sprits in a super market here. I miss my Three Buck Chuck or whatever it costs now. LOL I live in South Jersey and I assumed it was a vestige of the Quakers' influence. (There's a Quaker meetinghouse at the end of my street!) I had no idea this was a statewide thing.
There are a lot of great things about NJ...BUT there's a LOT of stupid things as well...

Phonedave

But can you find it in the law? It may be on the door of the store as a policy, but I still cannot locate it as a law on the books.

Phonedave

Actually, in NJ the number of liquor licences in any given municipality is based on population...I don't know the formula, but the number of residents = the number of licences.

Close, the number PERMITTED by the State is based on population, the final amount issued is set by the municipality - it can be less than the amount permitted. There are plenty of dry towns in NJ where there are not liquor licenses. I used to live in one. There were package licenses, but no restaurants or bars that served alcohol. Interestingly that is where we hold our Oktoberfest and bill it as one of the few times you can actually drink in that town.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom