Alcohol Served with Some Under 21?

viltes

Original Poster
Planning a trip with two friends. During trip I will be 20, and they will be 21 and 22. We all have the dining plan, and will be going during Food and Wine Fest, so I know they plan on getting various alcoholic drinks at meals and such. Obviously I won’t be able to get anything, but will my presence make servers not give them alcohol? That’s happened to us at a few chain restaurants at home so I’m worried. Even if it’s not my fault I’d hate to be the reason they don’t get served just because I’m there with them. Thanks!

TrojanUSC

Planning a trip with two friends. During trip I will be 20, and they will be 21 and 22. We all have the dining plan, and will be going during Food and Wine Fest, so I know they plan on getting various alcoholic drinks at meals and such. Obviously I won’t be able to get anything, but will my presence make servers not give them alcohol? That’s happened to us at a few chain restaurants at home so I’m worried. Even if it’s not my fault I’d hate to be the reason they don’t get served just because I’m there with them. Thanks!

You'll be fine. Imagine how many parents would be livid if they couldn't have a glass of wine or beer after dealing with their screaming kid all day.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member

I think you would be fine at WDW as long as the underage person isn't trying to drink the alcohol. They will check id's of people ordering alcohol, it would probably only be suspicious if there was only one of-age person ordering 2 or more alcoholic beverages.

Also if that happens at home, where they won't serve alcohol to someone that is 21 just because someone under 21 is sitting at the table that is a very strange policy. Again as long as the under-ager isn't trying to drink illegally it should be fine and the 21+ person should be served. If that happens you should request to speak to a manager, alcohol is a big money maker and by not serving the guest that is a loss of money and could create hard feelings and result in losing future sales.

correcaminos

I think you would be fine at WDW as long as the underage person isn't trying to drink the alcohol. They will check id's of people ordering alcohol, it would probably only be suspicious if there was only one of-age person ordering 2 or more alcoholic beverages.

Also if that happens at home, where they won't serve alcohol to someone that is 21 just because someone under 21 is sitting at the table that is a very strange policy. Again as long as the under-ager isn't trying to drink illegally it should be fine and the 21+ person should be served. If that happens you should request to speak to a manager, alcohol is a big money maker and by not serving the guest that is a loss of money and could create hard feelings and result in losing future sales.

Agreed - very strange policy. I've never been around when that happened. Issues getting into bars, yes, but denied the whole table? No.

dreamfinder

Agreed - very strange policy. I've never been around when that happened. Issues getting into bars, yes, but denied the whole table? No.

I've had stores refuse to sell to us when a member of our party had their underage child along. Like a 10 year old son, not even close to drinking age.

correcaminos

I've had stores refuse to sell to us when a member of our party had their underage child along. Like a 10 year old son, not even close to drinking age.
What store? We buy alcohol all the time in front of kids. Seriously, without knowing different rules or laws of different areas, I cannot see why they'd do that unless the kid touched it. A store like that would get me calling a manager and likely losing my business permanently.

Last edited:

Phonedave

What store? We buy alcohol all the time in front of kids. Seriously, without knowing different rules or laws of different areas, I cannot see why they'd do that unless the kid touched it. A store like that would get me calling a manager and likely losing my business permanently.

There are certain stores around here (NJ) that have a policy of everybody in the party has to be 21. Most of the time they are located near college campuses.

I don't know of any that would enforce it if, for example, a 30 y/o parent came in with an 8 year old. It more geared toward a bunch of 19,20, and 21 year olds coming in.

I do recall at college (in NJ) once, a friend of mine and I went into a liquor store and brought a couple of cases of beer to the counter. He was 19 and I was 20. The clerk looked at us, turns to me and says "is he 21?". I said "yup" and the clerk says "OK, then" and rings us up. Not sure how that worked, but there you go.

-dave

Weather_Lady

You are wise to ask, OP, but you'll be fine. I've never had trouble purchasing alcohol at WDW, even with underaged persons in my party.

correcaminos

There are certain stores around here (NJ) that have a policy of everybody in the party has to be 21. Most of the time they are located near college campuses.

I don't know of any that would enforce it if, for example, a 30 y/o parent came in with an 8 year old. It more geared toward a bunch of 19,20, and 21 year olds coming in.

I do recall at college (in NJ) once, a friend of mine and I went into a liquor store and brought a couple of cases of beer to the counter. He was 19 and I was 20. The clerk looked at us, turns to me and says "is he 21?". I said "yup" and the clerk says "OK, then" and rings us up. Not sure how that worked, but there you go.

-dave

A liquor store could conceivably have that, but that's not somewhere I go with a group of people or minors anyway. I was thinking a store that a child would be welcomed in - that wouldn't fly. Fortunately our grocery stores now can sell hard liquor so it isn't a separate stop any longer. Life is much better with that ;) Though kids cannot touch/handle it, but that's not hard to avoid too. Just like the cashiers who are under age don't touch it and just flag an 18 or older to run the alcohol through & check ID.

I will say what we might have grown up with was probably easier than what they do now with checking IDs and such ;)

Hockey89

I have had these issues too... It is the dumbest thing ever.... It's like the Garden not selling to NH people who are under 25....

StarWarsGirl

My 17 year old brother and I go to dinner at WDW all the time and I never have any trouble getting a drink. You should be fine as long as they have IDs.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Plan B

Simpsons_07_19.jpg

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Your server will ask for IDs. My DD & SIL still get asked for their IDs at WDW - and they are both in their 30s. Now if our server would ask for my ID, he'd get a huge tip! 😁

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom